A Little Bit of Kia on Olympics | The Boneyard

A Little Bit of Kia on Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-story/6837689-kia-nurse-treasures-olympic-experience/

kia_nurse_fiba___Content.jpg

Reaction Score
2014, Geno recruited 4 HS students,
14 Gabby Williams
17 Sadie Edwards
31 Courtney Ekmark
33 Kia Nurse

I am really surprised how does Geno find Kia's talent in 2013?
This must be the best bargain.
Plenty of teams were after Kia, including Tennessee I believe. Geno almost missed out on her though because he thought she was a year younger than she really was.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
2014, Geno recruited 4 HS students,
14 Gabby Williams
17 Sadie Edwards
31 Courtney Ekmark
33 Kia Nurse

I am really surprised how does Geno find Kia's talent in 2013?
This must be the best bargain.

The assistants do all of the looking and digging. They search out, discover, or bring to light possible recruits/prospects. Assistants spend a great deal of time on the internet year round on various AAU and other web-sites dedicated to promoting upcoming female basketball players around the country. There's an art to recruiting. There are a lot of head/asst. coaches that have mastered the art. This was not the case 40 years ago.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"How long it will take Nurse to make an impact at UConn remains to be seen. But she's smart -- she has a 3.5 GPA and is interested in studying business, either international or sports management. UConn fans would say she was smart enough to consider the Huskies even when they were "very late" in recruiting her.

"I was pretty much down to my final five," Nurse said of her selection process. "Then [UConn coach] Geno [Auriemma] came to the Boo Williams [AAU Tournament], and when we saw him, my teammates said, 'Somebody go get his autograph.'"

As it turns out, it was Auriemma who wanted Nurse's signature -- on scholarship papers. He called a couple of days later and said he wanted to start recruiting her for his 2014 class.

"Five schools became six at that point," Nurse said with a laugh. "They had thought I was a junior, and that's why they were late. I was confused at first, but then I was OK with it -- they are a great program."

Calling defending national champion UConn "a great program" is almost an understatement. UConn is undefeated this season and is going for a record ninth national title."

HoopGurlz -- Connecticut Huskies recruit Kia Nurse grateful she'll be able to watch 2014 NCAA women's basketball tournament on TV in her Canadian home

But it was a close call, because as Kia said, UConn had her in the next year's class and thought they had more time. But the coaching staff caught it and the rest, as they say, is history ... happy history.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"How long it will take Nurse to make an impact at UConn remains to be seen. But she's smart -- she has a 3.5 GPA and is interested in studying business, either international or sports management. UConn fans would say she was smart enough to consider the Huskies even when they were "very late" in recruiting her.

"I was pretty much down to my final five," Nurse said of her selection process. "Then [UConn coach] Geno [Auriemma] came to the Boo Williams [AAU Tournament], and when we saw him, my teammates said, 'Somebody go get his autograph.'"

As it turns out, it was Auriemma who wanted Nurse's signature -- on scholarship papers. He called a couple of days later and said he wanted to start recruiting her for his 2014 class.

"Five schools became six at that point," Nurse said with a laugh. "They had thought I was a junior, and that's why they were late. I was confused at first, but then I was OK with it -- they are a great program."

Calling defending national champion UConn "a great program" is almost an understatement. UConn is undefeated this season and is going for a record ninth national title."

HoopGurlz -- Connecticut Huskies recruit Kia Nurse grateful she'll be able to watch 2014 NCAA women's basketball tournament on TV in her Canadian home

But it was a close call, because as Kia said, UConn had her in the next year's class and thought they had more time. But the coaching staff caught it and the rest, as they say, is history ... happy history.
Kia has lost exactly ZERO games at UConn as a starter over 2 seasons. That's very impressive.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
who were the players players UConn "backed off" in Nurse's class?

was it A' Wilson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS