A little about Army

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
2-6 wins over Buffalo and Ball St
6th ranked rushing offense
Leading rusher is 5-11 and 240lbs. L. Dixon (Big Boy) - seems like the fullback up the middle
Second leading rusher is the QB Santiago (Was it Santiago that was given the Code Red?!?!)
128th ranked passing offense
106th points against defense (34 points a game)

I would assume they are prepared for the Wild Husky as they practice against their option daily - teams have put up pretty good passing numbers against them.

Weather looks good for CW to continue slinging the rock!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
PFC William T. Santiago was a Marine. The Marines fall under the Department of the Navy.

The service academies typically run the triple option, which 1) emphasizes the run, 2) hides a weak throwing QB, and 3) is very difficult to defend when run correctly. It is no surprise the QB is the second leading rusher or that they ranked so low in passing Offense.

Reaction Score
Other tidbits:

While Army has retired four numbers, Army does not issue the number 12 to any of its players. Rather, the number is reserved for the Corps of Cadets, the 12th man of Army football. Most shirts that feature a number, use 12.

Among those accepted as part of the 1,204 member Class of 2018 are 119 valedictorians, 154 class presidents and 762 team captains.

The Army football team will wear unit patches on its helmets during the 2014 season. In past years, the team has showcased patches on its jerseys. In addition to the helmet sticker, a player will carry out a unit flag.

Unit for UCONN game: 75th Rangers.

Last edited:

Bonehead

Reaction Score
PFC William T. Santiago was a Marine. The Marines are technically part of the Navy.

The service academies typically run the triple option, which 1) emphasizes the run, 2) hides a weak throwing QB, and 3) is very difficult to defend when run correctly. It is no surprise the QB is the second leading rusher or that they ranked so low in passing Offense.

I knew that! I am a former Marine!
With that said - Ill start some stuff....

Army Army Im in Doubt,
Why your belly is sticking out,
Is it beer or is it wine,
Or is it a lack of PT Time!!

Hey Hey Army,
What are you doing?
Get out your tank and follow me,
I am Marine Corps Infantry!

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Of course, you know what Marine stands for??? Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Never Essential

You know what a Marine with an IQ of 70 is called? General

That wasnt nice...

:-(

Reaction Score
Sua Sponte

Pretty cool that this is unit they are honoring for our game. Not too shabby as far as Army goes.

75_Ranger_Regiment__Unit_Insignia_svg.png

Reaction Score
PFC William T. Santiago was a Marine. The Marines fall under the Department of the Navy.

Correct. The stats jarhead put up also emphasize the fact that discipline in their football assignments in blocking on offense is what they excel at. Army and Navy will always be among NCAA leaders in rushing, but I had no idea that Army was as high as #6. Had to look it up for myself. Navy is #2. PPPHTTTHTHTT!!! Army. Air force is #12 in rushing offense.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category01/sort01.html

Can't let the lack of passing stats fool you either, I was writing back to BL about Obi recently today regarding this. they will try some over the top against our safeties Adams and Melifonwu, for sure. All it takes is one play, one mistake, assignment wise, and they will have a wide open receiver for a big gainer TD. This is why I"ve talked about us being able to play the best assignment specific D, discipline wise and game plan wise - so far this season, this coming Saturday.

Army has some pretty difficult obstacles to overcome in recruiting, and I do not believe we will be talent, size, speed, overmatched on either side of the ball.

The winner of this game, will make the least amount mistakes in the basics of leverage within a play call, and blocking and tackling fundamentals. Stuff I"ve been harping on all season long, and is finally starting to get a little better.

We'll see on Sat. I'm really excited for this game.

Reaction Score
We are not a very good football team, yet. I think Monken will get us there in a few years, but getting the right personnel is (and has been for years) the issue. His system works at Service Academies. I expect Whitmer to have a career best game against a defense that gave up 49 points to Yale.

It's a tough year to be both an Army and a UConn - unless we somehow miraculously beat Navy. Then it will be all forgotten.

Reaction Score
We are not a very good football team, yet. I think Monken will get us there in a few years, but getting the right personnel is (and has been for years) the issue. His system works at Service Academies. I expect Whitmer to have a career best game against a defense that gave up 49 points to Yale.

It's a tough year to be both an Army and a UConn - unless we somehow miraculously beat Navy. Then it will be all forgotten.

Not going to happen this year. I will concede that there is more pressure on Navy not to lose, than Army to win, with each passing year though!

Reaction Score
The option is easy to defeat. You blow up the QB early in the game, you punish him every possible chance. His decision making and execution will come undone.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I love that we have members of the Army, Navy, and Marines battling it out on this thread. When will you all grow up and learn that the true heroes of our country are the politicians... :eek:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The option is easy to defeat. You blow up the QB early in the game, you punish him every possible chance. His decision making and execution will come undone.
That it. Cheap shots are the way to go. :rolleyes:

Option QBs, especially at the academies are very often equal to, if not better, runners than the half backs and can avoid tackles. Also, until the QB turns the corner, crosses the Line of Scrimmage, and starts to move up field, he is still a QB and is under the protection of the Referee and Umpire. Blowing up the QB may work in theory, but it's not as easy to execute in practice.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
That it. Cheap shots are the way to go. :rolleyes:

Option QBs, especially at the academies are very often equal to, if not better, runners than the half backs and can avoid tackles. Also, until the QB turns the corner, crosses the Line of Scrimmage, and starts to move up field, he is still a QB and is under the protection of the Referee and Umpire. Blowing up the QB may work in theory, but it's not as easy to execute in practice.

I agree it might look easy to stop but in essence it is not that easy - teams that arent running an option offense such as spreads are using the Read Option play very successfully which obviously has its roots from the true option offense.

I can remember back in the day those Oklahoma/Nebraska teams and their option was almost unstoppable - but few teams use it as their offensive philosophy any longer.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
OT - When us Marines showed up at Fort Wainwright, Fairbanks Alaska, (Home of "America's Arctic Warriors") for some 'war games', their defense was not very good at the clubs in town - the Marines were pulling all the ladies.

Hopefully the football teams defense is just as bad as it was for those 60 days I spent in Alaska!

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
My
Asssss
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment
or even better -My Ass Really Is Navy Equipment (they hate that)

Know how to get a Marine to commit suicide? Throw a shovel of sand at a wall and tell him to 'hit the beach.'

Bonehead

Reaction Score
or even better -My Ass Really Is Navy Equipment (they hate that)

Know how to get a Marine to commit suicide? Throw a shovel of sand at a wall and tell him to 'hit the beach.'
Lame - a wall never stopped a Marine!!

Reaction Score
I knew that! I am a former Marine!
With that said - Ill start some stuff....

Army Army Im in Doubt,
Why your belly is sticking out,
Is it beer or is it wine,
Or is it a lack of PT Time!!

Hey Hey Army,
What are you doing?
Get out your tank and follow me,
I am Marine Corps Infantry!

I'd rather my sister become a five-dollar whore
Than have her marry
An Officer from the United States Marine Corps.

Reaction Score
Than have her marry

I can't believe that became Post 1000. Oh well. At least it was short.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Than have her marry
ouch - thats not right!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate