OT: - A Greater Appreciation For Jim Calhoun & Geno | The Boneyard

OT: A Greater Appreciation For Jim Calhoun & Geno

Reaction Score
As we watch one jaw-dropping hire after another in the college football universe these last few days, it makes me more appreciative that we were able to hang on to Coach Calhoun and Geno as long as we did. Or was a lot of it luck that the right job and/or right amount never came about?

I read both of their books 10+ years ago so the details aren't totally vivid but I do recall in Calhoun's book that when UConn was on the rise he did receive his share of offers and one of them that I recall was Virginia. He basically said he turned them down because he's a "New England Guy" and these situations didn't feel right for him. So even though he infamously said "Not One Dime Back!" at least he didn't leave to take "one dime more" when he probably had plenty of chances to do so.

In Geno's case, I've seen at least a couple of interviews where they asked him why he stays at Uconn and he said with a smirk "because they pay me a lot of money". He also said in his book that there's only one job that he'd take....the Duke men's job (kidding? not kidding?) because he knows how good he has it where he is. I think it also helped that until recently schools weren't paying big money to women's coaches so UConn was essentially bidding against themselves to keep Geno around but felt it was worth it because they knew what he did for the UConn brand regardless of how much money the program was making/losing.

So we can thank these guys for their loyalty. Or we can just consider ourselves lucky that they never received the "right offer" (money, location, enticing enough challenge, etc.) to leave.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I read an article on my phone this morning condemning Geno and his out-dated coaching philosophies. Cell phone just went down and can't find the author.

Reaction Score
I recall Geno saying he would take the HC jo with the Knicks. Probably kidding, but who knows?

Reaction Score
I read an article on my phone this morning condemning Geno and his out-dated coaching philosophies. Cell phone just went down and can't find the author.
In Coaching there are few if any "outdated" practices. Good coaches don't abuse players, don't use words or names that offend, not now not in1900. The key word here is ---GOOD COACHES. Geno, with Gods gift to Uconn WW BB Christine Dailey, hasn't been lucky. They, after a time, had a plan, methods, and decorum, dress code that to the WBB world spelled CLASS and pretty basketball--the kind you love to watch. That, with Christine and Geno, will never change.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
In Coaching there are few if any "outdated" practices. Good coaches don't abuse players, don't use words or names that offend, not now not in1900. The key word here is ---GOOD COACHES. Geno, with Gods gift to Uconn WW BB Christine Dailey, hasn't been lucky. They, after a time, had a plan, methods, and decorum, dress code that to the WBB world spelled CLASS and pretty basketball--the kind you love to watch. That, with Christine and Geno, will never change.
Unfortunately, the past few years UConn basketball has not played the kind of basketball we love to watch. In years past, I could watch a complete replay and enjoy it. Now, there are only two or three quarters I enjoy watching. I am not alone in this seeing the number of comments I read on the BY. Their plans, methods, decorum, and dress code are very classy. The pretty basketball is gone and has been for some time. However, the winning continues and that is what matters most. I hope UConn fans read the article I read because it is a very unfavorable one. Some of what was said is true. I said SOME. The things said about Fudd are troubling if true, the kind of fodder other coaches like to use against UConn's recruiting. I wonder what others will think.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the past few years UConn basketball has not played the kind of basketball we love to watch. In years past, I could watch a complete replay and enjoy it. Now, there are only two or three quarters I enjoy watching. I am not alone in this seeing the number of comments I read on the BY. Their plans, methods, decorum, and dress code are very classy. The pretty basketball is gone and has been for some time. However, the winning continues and that is what matters most. I hope UConn fans read the article I read because it is a very unfavorable one. Some of what was said is true. I said SOME. The things said about Fudd are troubling if true, the kind of fodder other coaches like to use against UConn's recruiting. I wonder what others will think.
I understand what you are saying. I guess, I've got my Vaccination for UConn WBB in a bit before 1995 and my rosey glasses sees a bunch of kids that play their hearts out for that old Agg school in the woods. I moan, I groan, I asked silly questions out loud, I'm a fan. Win, lose or National Championship, or not, this is MY TEAM.
Fudd, AZZI, is a talent that cannot be denied. Caroline, is equal to those words. Ameeri, Gaberil, Nika, Griffin, may never be Dolson, Stokes, DT, Sue, Asia, Swin or Gabby yet I live, every day, believing they shall. I lived blue and white, with red trim. It isn't Stanford, it's my school.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
The title of the article is "Are Geno's Tactics Taking Him Farther and Farther from Another National Championship? by Jr All*Star, one focus. girls' basketball-Elite Talent Elite Training The Elite Experience from Minneapolis.

Reaction Score
You read that article and it colored your view. I watched the HBO series on UConn and it colored mine. Social media has changed some perceptions of late. In my view not always in a good way.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Article written by "Senior Contributor". Why the anonymity? Don't suppose it could be Coach Jumper, do you?
It may be. Would not surprise me.:p

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree, we’ve been incredibly fortunate. I might throw Jim Penders (baseball) and Nancy Stevens (field hockey) on this list as well and hopefully we will feel the same way about Jim Mora, whom I believe was an outstanding hire.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Article written by "Senior Contributor". Why the anonymity? Don't suppose it could be Coach Jumper, do you?
Are we sure this person is anonymous? Perhaps there is a person named Senior Contributor who writes for [checks notes] jrallstar.com. I can see why some fans are concerned.

Reaction Score
I agree, we’ve been incredibly fortunate. I might throw Jim Penders (baseball) and Nancy Stevens (field hockey) on this list as well and hopefully we will feel the same way about Jim Mora, whom I believe was an outstanding hire.
While we're at it we should also add Chris Dailey to this list as she's had her share of offers for head coaching jobs as well and there's a good chance the WCBB program wouldn't have enjoyed the success it did without her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom