A Geno Observation on Early Old Miss Tactics | The Boneyard

A Geno Observation on Early Old Miss Tactics

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
After an uneven first couple minutes, the Huskies pulled away to crush Mississippi 90-50 on Thursday at the Paradise Jam before a crowd of 2,162 at the University of Virgin Islands Sports and Fitness Center.

“That’s what every team is going to do,” Auriemma said of Mississippi’s strategy. “Every team is going to try to … physically beat us, beat us up. They know we don’t have any subs that are as good as the guys that are starting. What they’re trying to do is get us into our bench. So we have to be really, really tough physically and mentally. That’s just the way it’s going to be.”

Said something in a similar vein a few weeks ago; that everyone would go for the throat thinking the Huskies are vulnerable.

UConn women tip off Paradise Jam with rout of Mississippi

“I thought today was a great test because tomorrow night against St. John’s is going to be the exact same way,” Auriemma said. “These are two games where, yeah, they’re going to come at us and try to drive it right through us and rebound the hell out of it. It’s going to be tough.”

Question. Isn't that the way people played us last year?

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
.......and the year when Kiah Stokes was the only bench player

Reaction Score
After an uneven first couple minutes, the Huskies pulled away to crush Mississippi 90-50 on Thursday at the Paradise Jam before a crowd of 2,162 at the University of Virgin Islands Sports and Fitness Center.

“That’s what every team is going to do,” Auriemma said of Mississippi’s strategy. “Every team is going to try to … physically beat us, beat us up. They know we don’t have any subs that are as good as the guys that are starting. What they’re trying to do is get us into our bench. So we have to be really, really tough physically and mentally. That’s just the way it’s going to be.”

Said something in a similar vein a few weeks ago; that everyone would go for the throat thinking the Huskies are vulnerable.

“I thought today was a great test because tomorrow night against St. John’s is going to be the exact same way,” Auriemma said. “These are two games where, yeah, they’re going to come at us and try to drive it right through us and rebound the hell out of it. It’s going to be tough.”

yes but at least Azura was on the court for part of the game last year..............and if teams are doing that this year with a shot blocking Collier and a 6'3" KLS defending the outside, exactly what's going to happen next season when they are in the WNBA? I'm afraid ONO is going to be attacked until she gets in foul trouble and a tandem of MW and KI is hardly imposing..........this is why the loss of Boston is so devastating..........it's not her ranking it's her 6'5" aircraft carrier frame with a mean disposition that will be missed so greatly.........and I know UConn has three number one ranked players.................unfortunately they are all under six feet.............

Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes was what 4 years ago? Much different talent level permeating throughout women's college basketball now than then.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Nobody tried to beat up Kia & Gabby last year, particularly not Kia, less they got knocked on the ass by one very tough Canadian.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes was what 4 years ago? Much different talent level permeating throughout women's college basketball now than then.

Point being—not the first time this has come up!!

Reaction Score
Point being—not the first time this has come up!!

That is no "point". What happened 4 years ago is completely irrelevant now. The real point is "Is this years team good enough to compete for a championship w/probably 6 players"? I would say Final Four is the ceiling for this team. I hope Geno does some of that coaching sh...stuff and proves me wrong. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Last years team was alot deeper than this years team. He chose not to play those other bench players. If he could choose not to play some of them again, trust me, he would. Forced to play some of them this season.

Reaction Score
yes but at least Azura was on the court for part of the game last year....and if teams are doing that this year with a shot blocking Collier and a 6'3" KLS defending the outside, exactly what's going to happen next season when they are in the WNBA? I'm afraid ONO is going to be attacked until she gets in foul trouble and a tandem of MW and KI is hardly imposing.....this is why the loss of Boston is so devastating.....it's not her ranking it's her 6'5" aircraft carrier frame with a mean disposition that will be missed so greatly....and I know UConn has three number one ranked players.......unfortunately they are all under six feet...
Samuelson and Walker are under six feet? Who knew?

Reaction Score
Nobody tried to beat up Kia & Gabby last year, particularly not Kia, less they got knocked on the ass by one very tough Canadian.

Speaking of Kia's toughness, apparently she suffered a sternum injury caused by an opposing player in last week's game against the Dandenong Rangers (Basketball Australia is reportedly investigating but I can't locate any details) but still played out the game. She was "iffy" for yesterday's game against Melbourne but in a recent interview insisted that a week was plenty of time to recover and that she would have to place "mind over matter". So what did she do? She played the full 40 minutes, scores 16 points, and hit the winning bucket with 18 seconds remaining. That's the kind of toughness this team needs but may lack. We'll see.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Speaking of Kia's toughness, apparently she suffered a sternum injury caused by an opposing player in last week's game against the Dandenong Rangers (Basketball Australia is reportedly investigating but I can't locate any details) but still played out the game. She was "iffy" for yesterday's game against Melbourne but in a recent interview insisted that a week was plenty of time to recover and that she would have to place "mind over matter". So what did she do? She played the full 40 minutes, scores 16 points, and hit the winning bucket with 18 seconds remaining. That's the kind of toughness this team needs but may lack. We'll see.
That’s our girl. :)

Reaction Score
Wow! Go Kia!

Reaction Score
yes but at least Azura was on the court for part of the game last year....and if teams are doing that this year with a shot blocking Collier and a 6'3" KLS defending the outside, exactly what's going to happen next season when they are in the WNBA? I'm afraid ONO is going to be attacked until she gets in foul trouble and a tandem of MW and KI is hardly imposing.....this is why the loss of Boston is so devastating.....it's not her ranking it's her 6'5" aircraft carrier frame with a mean disposition that will be missed so greatly....and I know UConn has three number one ranked players.......unfortunately they are all under six feet...

It may not have been the last time Uconn played in the JAM but the last one I remember. Stewie was one hot and dangerous player and setting all kinds of record--UNTIL--St Thomas and Stew was used as a ping pong ball or bumper car. She was tackled, pulled pushed, bumped out of playing HER game. She folded up until the NCAA tournament.
Apparently OLE Miss is showing WCBB world how to take away the GIANT's advantage.
If this is the plan Geno and UConn Admin has to scream FOUL. The limited bench is bad but the potential to hurt for life young players with overly physical play. That's the ref's job. Keep kids from getting hurt and keeping control. Too many whistles also hurts Ucon but better the whistle than damaged players.

Reaction Score
It may not have been the last time Uconn played in the JAM but the last one I remember. Stewie was one hot and dangerous player and setting all kinds of record--UNTIL--St Thomas and Stew was used as a ping pong ball or bumper car. She was tackled, pulled pushed, bumped out of playing HER game. She folded up until the NCAA tournament.
Apparently OLE Miss is showing WCBB world how to take away the GIANT's advantage.
If this is the plan Geno and UConn Admin has to scream FOUL. The limited bench is bad but the potential to hurt for life young players with overly physical play. That's the ref's job. Keep kids from getting hurt and keeping control. Too many whistles also hurts Ucon but better the whistle than damaged players.
Geno has control over his players and the ref. It's Geno. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse is, according to her own father, a nasty piece of business. She is also the personification of Badassery.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure if the roster has changed but wasn't UCF basically playing human bumper cars with the UConn players last year?..............I'd start Camara in that one this season................

Reaction Score
I guess everyone is going to give you a pass on that. So I shall too.

I chose my words carefully. It's too early in the season to know if the toughness is there but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. I remember a game against ND either last year or the year before. I believe it might have been Mabrey who appeared about ready to have some words with Phee. Kia quietly made her presence known and that was the end of any potential confrontation.

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse is, according to her own father, a nasty piece of business. She is also the personification of Badassery.[/QUOTE]

Nice visual wording. That has the sound of a Knight on any shaped table.

Reaction Score
Geno has control over his players and the ref. It's Geno. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
The only things I ever really worried about (most things i couldn't control) were death and taxes. Now I have no worries, concerns for the well being of Uconn kids and others around the world (I call them MY kids), but no worries.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I chose my words carefully. It's too early in the season to know if the toughness is there but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. I remember a game against ND either last year or the year before. I believe it might have been Mabrey who appeared about ready to have some words with Phee. Kia quietly made her presence known and that was the end of any potential confrontation.

I'm glad you haven't ruled out the possibility of their being tough. I think you have abounding evidence of the toughness of 3 of them, unless toughness is something you can lose over the summer. I'm willing to take a leap of faith and say the other two starters are well on their way to making their bones and I strongly suspect our 6th woman will do the same. There is far too much kvetching and not enough kvelling this fall if you ask me. I know, you aren't asking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom