A forgotten option. | The Boneyard

A forgotten option.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
New Big East for everything but football...and Mountain West for football. I think it's a decent plan. I believe us and Cincy could get football-only spots in the MW as they would probably allow us the Hawaii rule due to geography. We would help their conference brand-wise and with eastern TV. They would help us by allowing us to keep our football at basically the same level while upgrading our basketball while we wait for a better offer (which we would make clear with them). We would have to give travel subsidies, but we would make much more with the NBE so that would be ok.

The divisions would look like this:
Mountain: UConn, Cincy, Boise State, Wyoming, Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado St.
West: San Jose St., Utah St., UNLV, Fresno St., Nevada, SDSU, Hawaii

Possible schedule down the road in this alignment: NC State, @BC, Illinois, @Indiana, Cincy, @ Boise State, Air Force, @Wyoming, New Mexico, @Colorado St, @UNLV, Nevada

This would pave the way for NBE basketball, which hopefully would still be a massive double round robin with Cincy (22 games), which would leave us with 9 OOC games (3 tournament, Syracuse @MSG, 2 decent h/h, 3 pay games).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That is fantastic.

It's far more outlandish than the usual crackpot nonsense, so I can tell you put some effort into it.

I like how you envision Cincinnati coming along on the crazy train.

A+

Reaction Score
New Big East for everything but football...and Mountain West for football. I think it's a decent plan. I believe us and Cincy could get football-only spots in the MW as they would probably allow us the Hawaii rule due to geography. We would help their conference brand-wise and with eastern TV. They would help us by allowing us to keep our football at basically the same level while upgrading our basketball while we wait for a better offer (which we would make clear with them). We would have to give travel subsidies, but we would make much more with the NBE so that would be ok.

The divisions would look like this:
Mountain: UConn, Cincy, Boise State, Wyoming, Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado St.
West: San Jose St., Utah St., UNLV, Fresno St., Nevada, SDSU, Hawaii

Possible schedule down the road in this alignment: NC State, @BC, Illinois, @Indiana, Cincy, @ Boise State, Air Force, @Wyoming, New Mexico, @Colorado St, @UNLV, Nevada

This would pave the way for NBE basketball, which hopefully would still be a massive double round robin with Cincy (22 games), which would leave us with 9 OOC games (3 tournament, Syracuse @MSG, 2 decent h/h, 3 pay games).

What is the Hawaii rule? If I had to be in a G5 conference, I want to stay in the AAC...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What is the Hawaii rule? If I had to be in a G5 conference, I want to stay in the AAC...
We are stuck here, no one else thinks UConn football has any value.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We are stuck here, no one else thinks UConn football has any value.

While the AAC is never going to approach P5 media revenue streams, I think Aresco could make a case that the league should be worth $7-$8 mill/year per team. Unfortunately, the trade off would be more Thursday/Friday night games.

UConn should've pulled a Pittsburgh and walked away from the initial TV negotiations, just on basis of the value of WBB.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
While the AAC is never going to approach P5 media revenue streams, I think Aresco could make a case that the league should be worth $7-$8 mill/year per team. Unfortunately, the trade off would be more Thursday/Friday night games.

UConn should've pulled a Pittsburgh and walked away from the initial TV negotiations, just on basis of the value of WBB.
Pitt's president was leading the negotiations, I don't know who was in charge when NBC low-balled the conference and ESPN matched it. UConn's WBB isn't going to garner a raise for an entire all sports conference.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Hawaii plays football only in the conference. They pay subsidies for travel, and get to keep their other sports in the Big West.

Reaction Score
I am with you on the crazy train. Big East needs help to make sure it doesn't get left behind. I don't think the P5 could leave a Big East w UConn and Cincy (unless they conspire to bust it up by plucking the FB schools out).

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I am with you on the crazy train. Big East needs help to make sure it doesn't get left behind. I don't think the P5 could leave a Big East w UConn and Cincy (unless they conspire to bust it up by plucking the FB schools out).
Division 1 basketball will never split in two so I wouldn't worry about that. As long as the NCAA is in control, that's not happening, and they won't be giving up control anytime soon.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
They could just as easily link to our board where we have maniacs like you suggesting this is an alterantive.
They didn't though. There were rumors about this happening in 2013. Warde denied them, but I don't buy he wasn't thinking about it.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Huh? Give up control? You have no idea how this works.

NCAA loses control when members of the P5 withdraw their membership.
And then March Madness ends. That's not going to end well.

Reaction Score
And then March Madness ends. That's not going to end well.

Not going to end well for whom? A P-5 only championship wouldn't make nearly what the NCAA hoops tourney makes, but the proceeds of the NCAA tourney are first used to primarily fund the entire NCAA's operations, and then gets split among 350 members to some extent. My understanding is that a P-5 tourney could be a financial wash for P-5 members if it only generated roughly 1/3 of what the NCAA does.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Not going to end well for whom? A P-5 only championship wouldn't make nearly what the NCAA hoops tourney makes, but the proceeds of the NCAA tourney are first used to primarily fund the entire NCAA's operations, and then gets split among 350 members to some extent. My understanding is that a P-5 tourney could be a financial wash for P-5 members if it only generated roughly 1/3 of what the NCAA does.
Good luck with a 16-team tournament with the same teams every year. You're forgetting something else. What about other sports? The SEC and Big 12 don't offer soccer, all but the Big Ten don't offer hockey. Who would they play? Field hockey, lacrosse, wrestling, and other sports are going to have serious problems.

Reaction Score
Good luck with a 16-team tournament with the same teams every year. You're forgetting something else. What about other sports? The SEC and Big 12 don't offer soccer, all but the Big Ten don't offer hockey. Who would they play? Field hockey, lacrosse, wrestling, and other sports are going to have serious problems.

Because the nation is riveted to the NCAA Field Hockey tnmt.....

Once the P5 is done squeezing every dollar they can out of football they will come for hoops as well.

If TV revenues have peaked, as many are predicting, it will be the only way for the P5 to find more dollars.

They don't care about the allure of "March Madness", all they care about is dollars

Reaction Score

You are assuming that they care about anything other than maximizing their own revenues from revenue sports. Maybe they do, but there is very little evidence at the moment to support that theory.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that The P5 will ever kill the tournament, but the time will come when The P5 Conferences demand a larger cut of the proceeds. It is inevitable. People love Cinderella Stories and the excitement that they create in the first few rounds, but at the end of the tournament you need the names to be there to bring the ratings. America isn't tuning in to watch a Final Four of teams like Gonzaga, Butler, Villanova, and George Mason. The NCAA knows it, and worse the P5 Does as well.

Reaction Score

Do you realize that the television proceeds from the NCAA basketball tournament generates $1 Billion per year of which the NCAA retains $800 million for redistribution across the sports and divisions? This means only $200 million of the tournament proceeds are provided to the actual teams/conferences participating in the tournament.

When people say football drives realignment and basketball does not matter that is only because of the way the money is distributed. Basketball currently does not matter as much as football because the P5 conferences keep all the money in football and the NCAA takes a lion share in basketball. Can you imagine how valuable basketball would be to realignment if the conferences/teams who participate in the tournament actually split the $1 billion pot?

The P5 could very easily create their own tournament and as long as it generated more than $200 million they'd be in the black. BTW if and when the P5 does that, the non P5 basketball programs just got demoted to FBS levels. Good luck recruiting at Villanova if there is no opportunity to play in the P5 tournament. The P5 would then monopolize the money while at the same time killing the non P5 competition.

But hey, lets go back to the new Big East cause there is no way the P5 would ruin a conference for money and control....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom