a few Mikayla Coombs clips | The Boneyard

a few Mikayla Coombs clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
here a few clips of 2017 UConn target Mikayla Coombs clips from last weekend

UConn fans will like what I have been hearing with this Elite "Guard".
( fully capable of being playing both Guard spots competently at next level )

Reaction Score

Hey Bill how serious is Uconn interested in Coombs now that they have crystal dangerfield coming in this year and have a very strong case for christyn williams 2018 prospect??

Reaction Score
Coach Bill great clips. What do you think the chances are that she will land at UConn. Do you think they are in the recruiting lead for her?

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
HuskiesU & ucalum - I mentioned in another recent thread ... Mikayla relayed to me a few days ago She & UConn are working on plans for an Official visit.
She certainly appears to be a priority target.
I conveyed above that ya'll / UConn fans will like what I am hearing .

I would assume that Geno has a Saniya Chong "combo guard" vision for her in his overall recruiting puzzle.
Dangerfield is straight PG & Christyn Williams is a 2G / Wing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dangerfield is straight PG & Christyn Williams is a 2G / Wing.

Maybe it's label semantics again, but Williams didn't strike me as a wing when I saw her. She looked quite a bit like Odyssey Sims and not due to the left-hand dominance.

Reaction Score
Hope we land Coombs and Walker + Williams for 2018 but if we do get both the class of 2017 will be stacked with nothing but Talent
Class of '17 if we land Coombs and Walker
andrea espinoza hunter
Lexi Gordon
Azura Stevens
Megan Walker
Makayla Coombs

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Sluconn - No semantics...
Christyn Wiliams is not Odyssey Sims and not a primary PG. I have conviction in saying that would Not be her best position / role in college.
I am confident there is a long line of basketball people that would agree.

Similarly... I viewed Megan Walker ( at Boo / EYBL ) play a quantity of possessions as her team's PG. She did a good job.
She will Not be a primary PG in college.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I like Christyn Williams a lot - regardless of whether or not we land Walker. I do think it's odd that we heard all kinds of rumors about Walker after her visit, but no announcement. I think the longer it goes, the less likely it is she comes to UCONN. But we will see. Her recruitment has been filled with ebbs and flows.

Regarding Coombs - she doesn't look terribly "explosive" in that video (supposedly she has off the charts athleticism), but that's a very small snippet (thanks for sharing btw!). I almost thought she was a lefty at first - she has a tremendous dribble with her left hand - almost seeming to prefer to go that way. But she does indeed shoot with her right hand. Anyway, I sure hope she decides to come to UCONN. You can never had too many guards.

HGN

Reaction Score

Coach , I already like what you been hearing regarding Mikayla. And I don't even know the whole story. :) The mere fact that she reached out and is planning to pay an Official
to UConn is very good news just all by itself.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Thanks, Coach. Have you been hearing that Mikayla is really good or that she really likes UConn? Or both?

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
HGN - the prospect doesn't pay expenses on Official visits. The program does.
it is UNofficial visits that they must pay the expenses

Reaction Score
Coach Bill. Have you heard if and when Megan Walker will be taking her official visit to UConn?

HGN

Reaction Score
HGN - the prospect doesn't pay expenses on Official visits. The program does.
it is UNofficial visits that they must pay the expenses
Coach , that's what I meant................I didn't mean 'Pay' as in out of her pocket. Not pay her own way. But your response let's me knw you are staying up on things....LOL

Reaction Score
Coach Bill: with the news about AZ and speculation about Walker, Combs and others Lexi Gordon has slipped under the radar on this board over the last month. I read your report on Lexi Gordon in another thread about two weeks ago and I concluded that you believed that Walker was on another level.. My question is what does Lexi have to do to move her game up a notch or two before she arrives in Storrs? Assuming she is ready able and willing to work very hard the next year- (which I do) is she capable of becoming an elite player. If not a Megatron at least in the same zip code?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sluconn - No semantics...
Christyn Wiliams is not Odyssey Sims and not a primary PG. I have conviction in saying that would Not be her best position / role in college.
I am confident there is a long line of basketball people that would agree.

I didn't mean semantics from you. Point was that position labels tend to bleed into one another.

I didn't think Williams was a Penicheiro type point guard but she does seem at her best with the ball in her hands driving, passing, and shooting. In that way I think there is similarity with Simms. Not a pure PG, but more of a hybrid who's better with the ball than off the ball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well this certainly changes things! Thanks @HuskyNan for updating the recruiting page.
Per the updated recruiting page UCONN has outstanding offers to Christyn Wiliams '18, Makayla Coombs '17, & Amaya Brown '18. All explosive scoring guards in the 5'10-11" range. Is it first come first serve? What if all three said yes to UCONN could this work?

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Baroloboy - now that is my favorite kind of question :)

Player Development has always been Love

my belief = to enhance her game distinguishably as a Wing & especially projecting to High major college level.... Lexi needs upgrade her Handle , 1 vs 1 moves. become an even more accomplished Slasher, " shot creator ".
primary example = developing / mastering a FT line & down SPIN move where she can take advantage of her Size & strength to consistently work off aggressive defenders.
Providing a signature "go to" scoring move off the dribble.

I would like to see her train to develop a more urgent 1-2 dribble HARD mid range pullup. he mid range shooting stroke is good ... but imo it is not urgent enough currently.

I also think with her Size,Length, Strength... she should work to develop an even more proficient Post up game.

Finally.... to take her game to a higher level. In my view she needs to develop the mindset seek more contact , draw more Fouls on deep drives. become a student of the Art of seeking contact / drawing fouls. It would certianly complement the Toughness , Physical presence she consistently plays with.
An example is what became a significant part of Kia Nurse's identity & production Offensively as a Freshman. ( player of same type size , strength. toughness )

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice coach - and always good to remember that these are still kids 16-17 year olds that are still developing within their competitive universe - and even when they play for a good HS team with a competitive schedule, they only occasionally play against kids with their talent so they aren't often challenged one on one. The AAU circuit has more competition but less coaching.

I think that is a reason why a player like Walker stands out so clearly and has since she was first spotted - while specific numbers may not jump out, the physical and mental development and breadth of game has outdistanced her peers. A player like Stewart or Cox stands out because they are taller and longer than most of their peers and have skills that distance them from the other tall long players in their class - a player like Walker stands out because she looks like she is older than her age group.

Reaction Score
Well this certainly changes things! Thanks @HuskyNan for updating the recruiting page.
Per the updated recruiting page UCONN has outstanding offers to Christyn Wiliams '18, Makayla Coombs '17, & Amaya Brown '18. All explosive scoring guards in the 5'10-11" range. Is it first come first serve? What if all three said yes to UCONN could this work?
3 guard line up course it can work

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
From last weekend's Deep South Classic.

Mikayla Coombs - 2017 - 5'11 - FBC - (GA) - Explosive, high power combo - guard, with great athleticism. Attacks in transition or in set formations... Drive attack to rim... Finisher... Scorers mentality... Uptempo guard with size in strength... 2017 high prospect... Mid- Range...

GTHINGBASKETBALL

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
CoachBill - I have a question for you regarding evaluation of players in general. I am asking you because you both attend a lot of the 'viewing' events and appear to evaluate players more as a coach would than a HS talent evaluator. So ...

When you attend events are you aware of the qualities that the Uconn coaches speak about that separate the very talented players that Uconn has no interest in from the ones that they are very interested in. Do those player jump out at you as you watch the competition the way that they appear to for the Uconn staff? And if so, do you get the sense that other coaches are seeing and responding to the same qualities?

A lot of the recruiting variation from team to team is clearly based on the level a program competes at, particular team needs, and initial contact enthusiasm (coaches aren't wasting effort on a player that isn't going to consider their school) but there also seems to be clear lines some staffs draw where they just have no interest in particular recruits even for positions of need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom