A Dime Back weighs in: "Colossal Mistake" | The Boneyard

A Dime Back weighs in: "Colossal Mistake"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Excellent take - only thing is nothing is said about board of trustees chairman Larry McHugh (CT HS football coaches assn good ol boy) and his role in this. He is equally as guilty as Hathaway, if not more so. IMO LMcH forced PP on Hathaway

http://adimeback.com/the-colossal-mistake-that-is-paul-pasqualoni/

I am sick and tired about hearing how UConn got mocked for going to the Fiesta Bowl. Just so no one sane ever points that out like it matters again, the key portion of the sentence "Uconn got mocked for going to the Fiesta Bowl" is not that UConn got mocked. It's that UConn went to the Fiesta Bowl.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn squandered their opportunity to become an elite multi-sport school with Pasqualoni’s hiring. With every day he continues to be employed, they are risking the future of their football fan base — a hold that is already tenuous at best.... It was the most important decision of the last 25 years. And they blew it... Something must be done. ...Paul Pasqualoni can not coach another game.

Reaction Score
I said this last December, if Warde decides to keep P in 2013 he owns him, this is now Warde's mistake too.

How's that coaching continuity working out for us now Warde?
have to agree. Manuel had 2 chances to fire Pasqualoni and had the cover of being able to say, "I want my own guy." and everyone would have said , ok. He didn't do it in 2011, and he backed down again in2012. He defended Pasquoloni and argued that keeping him was important. Now he owns a very large piece of the problem.

Reaction Score
have to agree. Manuel had 2 chances to fire Pasqualoni and had the cover of being able to say, "I want my own guy." and everyone would have said , ok. He didn't do it in 2011, and he backed down again in2012. He defended Pasquoloni and argued that keeping him was important. Now he owns a very large piece of the problem.

The big question is can you bring a good coach in after firing the last one after 2 years?

Guess why coaches aren't fired after 2 years?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The big question is can you bring a good coach in after firing the last one after 2 years?

Yes. I'd say firing a coach after two years going 5-7 and then losing to an FCS team is entirely reasonable. I'm the last person to call for a coaches head... but there are lines in the sand. This isn't Frank Beamer or Lloyd Carr. This isn't Schiano recovering from Terry Shea. This is a guy who's lost to MAC programs while fielding a Top 10 defense. Not to mention there aren't a ton of Division 1 FBS programs out there.

Reaction Score
Yes. I'd say firing a coach after two years going 5-7 and then losing to an FCS team is entirely reasonable. I'm the last person to call for a coaches head... but there are lines in the sand. This isn't Frank Beamer or Lloyd Carr. This isn't Schiano recovering from Terry Shea. This is a guy who's lost to MAC programs while fielding a Top 10 defense. Not to mention there aren't a ton of Division 1 FBS programs out there.

I can give dozens of examples though. What about Kragthorpe? How quickly do you fire him?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The gist of the article is fine -- never should have hired PP and need to get rid of him. But there are just several factual problems for me to take the writer seriously... this guy sometimes has some good tweets, but this is garbage.

When head coach Randy Edsall announced after the game his intention to flee UConn for Maryland, it was shocking, but not wholly upsetting.

I'm pretty sure most fans were not only irate about the way he left, but also thought that at the time (prior to conference realignment and with just going to the BCS) that a move to Maryland was lateral at best. It would be one thing to take the job at ND, Alabama, etc, but Maryland, WTF... yes, it was upsetting.

The football program’s chief donor, Robert Burton, was so upset by the hiring (and his input being ignored) that he threatened to pull support for UConn’s new football practice facility. That facility bears his name today.
I'm pretty sure that the building bore his name back then too, which lead's to this:

Think about that for a moment. Paul Pasqualoni’s arrival at UConn cost an Athletic Director his job, and almost sabotaged the creation of a university building. All before he coached a game.
The building (the Burton/Shenkman) had already been built and in-use long prior to PP's arrival.

As we enter the final year of Paul Pasqualoni’s three-year contract, it is amazing how far UConn has fallen.
Three year contract? This was actually the 2nd reference to PP's contract only being three years. I'm pretty sure last I checked PP has a 5 year deal.

Sorry guys, A Dime Back is probably getting some misplaced anger from me, but he needs to "get some facts." There's some irony there, right?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I can give dozens of examples though. What about Kragthorpe? How quickly do you fire him?
Kragthorpe had a better record than PP after two years. *shrug* I don't know. All I can say is every situation is different. What I can't believe is that Syracuse gave Greg Robinson a fourth year.

Reaction Score
Kragthorpe had a better record than PP after two years. *shrug* I don't know. All I can say is every situation is different. What I can't believe is that Syracuse gave Greg Robinson a fourth year.

True but, Ville was coming off a top 10 finish in the AP, and they went 6-6. They lost twice in a row to Syracuse in year's when UConn was blowing out Cuse by multiple TDs. I think the degree of suckage was the same.

There seems to be a kind of law against firing a coach after 2 years. For good reason. You don't attract a good candidate if you do that. But then again, this is year #3.

Fire him now!

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I mean logically you don't buy that much firing him now... unless you think Weist is HC material... but emotionally it'd be damn satisfying. ;)

Reaction Score
In fact a new AD and a new school president do have more leeway in firing a mediocre coach than would a Hathaway. It would have been viewed as part and parcel of the overall effort to replace the old guard from virtually every part of the university. He could have gotten away with it in 2011, even. But 2012 absolutely.

Reaction Score
I mean logically you don't buy that much firing him now... unless you think Weist is HC material... but emotionally it'd be damn satisfying. ;)

For me, Weist doesn't even have to be HC material. He just needs to be able to run the offense without interference. Josh McDaniels had a fine first year in Denver. That doesn't make him HC material.

Reaction Score
UConn by its nature has been a parochial short term thinking school.
They turned off a bunch of live basketball fans for the sake of short term profit.
They received a gift of BCS membership and treated it like a birthrite instead of an opportunity.
Especially in the Big East who was literially in its death spiral when they joined.
They tried to capitilize on their good fortune in the 2011 Fiesta Bowl. During the worse economic downturn since the Great Drptession
Instead the anticitapated cash cow they were turned into a laughing stock by loosing a ton of money.
The final straw was the hiring and huge payment of a failed over the hill coach.
When I started my career their was a senior Mgr who advised all us young guys " The bus doesn't come around very often, so when it does you better have your ticket ready"
UConn management thought they had a free ride. Hopefully SH and WM have a little more vision

Reaction Score

No good coach is worried about having a record like that. If they did they would probably expect to be fired or resign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom