A day with UConn's Geno Auriemma [Merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A day with UConn's Geno Auriemma [Merged thread]

Reaction Score
Good article - lots of spicy "give and take" that is relished by both sides I believe - but maybe a bit more by Nika and Paige than Geno though. ;)

Does anyone have the full list of the 17 UCONN first team All-Americans that was mentioned?

Reaction Score
Paige can earn big big money from Geno for 700 three. Although it is a joke but it's really attractive.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Does anyone have the full list of the 17 UCONN first team All-Americans that was mentioned?
Can be found on page 71 of the 20-21 media guide:
Missing Paige as she was named after the publication. And my count for WBCA awards is 24 including Paige, 17 for AP first team including Paige.
Page 70 lists players of the year - 14 total counting multiple years for players (includes Paige) and counting both Maya and Tina in 2010 as they both won awards that year

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
That was a fun article. Thanks for posting.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
One the story lines for this season that is most interesting to me is Nika's. Geno obviously loves her tenacity and effort but can she keep the starting job with the bus-load of talent that just pulled up to Gampel? Stay tuned...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I dont think Azzi would make jokes with Geno. She's quite a serious good student.
Paige will convert Azzi to the trouble trios .Paige said at the end video with Azzi that she wants to be just like Paige

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One the story lines for this season that is most interesting to me is Nika's. Geno obviously loves her tenacity and effort but can she keep the starting job with the bus-load of talent that just pulled up to Gampel? Stay tuned...
I think so. At least in the near term. But it wouldn’t surprise me to see Paige move to the 1 so that Azzi can take the 2 spot.

Reaction Score
Paige will convert Azzi to the trouble trios .Paige said at the end video with Azzi that she wants to be just like Paige
Wow, can't wait. And just have fun in the college life.

Reaction Score
I think so. At least in the near term. But it wouldn’t surprise me to see Paige move to the 1 so that Azzi can take the 2 spot.
I'm not sure Azzi's body is going to let her start this freshman year. I think this will be more the scenario the following year with Nika, Paige, and Azzi all starting.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Azzi's body is going to let her start this freshman year. I think this will be more the scenario the following year with Nika, Paige, and Azzi all starting.
Maybe, but I was surprised how fast Paige got into the starting lineup last year. I think that we may be back to a Connecticut lineup we’re pretty much everyone is playing in the 20 to 30 minute range. If that is correct, then starting matters less.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Exactly. Jimmy Brown and Gale Sayers - thats my all time starting backfield.
He used the same analogy between Jen Rizzoti and Sue Bird.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but I was surprised how fast Paige got into the starting lineup last year. I think that we may be back to a Connecticut lineup we’re pretty much everyone is playing in the 20 to 30 minute range. If that is correct, then starting matters less.
Yeah. My prediction is only based on the physical not skill. If Azzi was 100%, I think she finds a way to start but all signs say she is not 100% and will need to build back strength and play the long game for her career. That makes me think freshman year will be 20 minutes a game off the bench spelling Chrystin/Evina.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah. My prediction is only based on the physical not skill. If Azzi was 100%, I think she finds a way to start but all signs say she is not 100% and will need to build back strength and play the long game for her career. That makes me think freshman year will be 20 minutes a game off the bench spelling Chrystin/Evina.

What makes you say she’s not 100%? I’m not questioning it I just haven’t seen it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What makes you say she’s not 100%? I’m not questioning it I just haven’t seen it.
She was dealing with a foot/ankle this spring (shooting 3 pt competition in a boot!) but she is planning to play for USA in the U19 World Cup later this summer so I suspect she is healthy at this point.

Reaction Score

In the article it mentions Azzi's foot still felt uncomfortable after one of the morning workouts they had recently.

Reaction Score
Well she had the injury. Didn't have a highschool season after to build back. She sprained the ankle and was in a boot for part of Feb then March and into April. CD just said she was still having discomfort.

That also says to me that if not careful she could get into a similar issue that Ionescu is having right now where the original injury is repaired but the strength around that area needs to build back in order to take the day in and day out compression starting for a team such as UConn.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
can she keep the starting job with the bus-load of talent that just pulled up to Gampel?
Yes. I think so. Sue Bird made Olympic team as PG at 40. Just say N.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I just see potentially the most deadly back court tandem in the history of wcbb.

Nika with a sophomore bump. To her right is Paige. On her left is Azzi. Plug in any other kid on the team at the other two positions, and give the three amigos moments of rest/coaching with any other guard on the team. I don't care who.

As an opponent what's the plan? Try to trap Nika? Quick pass to the right or left results in an uncontested 3.

Nika See's the floor. Not as well as Paige? Who cares? Nika can pass the rock. And if ignored she will punish the defence by scoring. Paige will be getting the rock because there will be rapid ball movement.

Don't understand people's desire to limit Paige's dynamic potential by putting her in as PG.

Not to wish my life away but I'm looking forward to what develops in the up coming season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom