A day with UConn's Geno Auriemma [Merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A day with UConn's Geno Auriemma [Merged thread]

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Don't understand people's desire to limit Paige's dynamic potential by putting her in as PG.
I think it’s her natural position she would rather set up teammates than score herself. In a perfect world, you want to be able to put your five best players on the court. Paige as a point guard who can score, or set someone else to score, pretty much it will is the better option. That isn’t a slight to Nika, but Paige is a once in a generation talent whose presence at the point makes everyone better.

I trust Geno and CD to figure it out, but in the end only five can be on the court at a time. Just curious, you kind of demurred on who are the rest of your starting five, which allowed you to avoid saying who you would sit. I’m curious, who are you starting five and who plays what positions?

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Just curious, you kind of demurred on who are the rest of your starting five, which allowed you to avoid saying who you would sit. I’m curious, who are you starting five and who plays what positions?
Dang it. If I were to walk out and all the girls was lined up to play a game. I would hope that I could go with the Three musketeers with Liv and Aaliyah up front.

Quickly followed with a substitution for any player that needed some coaching or wasn't getting it done.

I'm ready for some UConn women's basketball.

CL82

Reaction Score
Dang it. If I were to walk out and all the girls was lined up to play a game. I would hope that I could go with the Three musketeers with Liv and Aaliyah up front.

Quickly followed with a substitution for any player that needed some coaching or wasn't getting it done.

I'm ready for some UConn women's basketball.
That means Christyn sits…
If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

CL82

Reaction Score
not a chance, she hasn't done anything to lose her starting job. If anyone is in danger is Westbrook, Muhl, and Olivia
And they all contribute. In my opinion all the talent this team is going to make some coaching challenges as how to best use it. My best guess is geno will distribute the minutes with each player playing less. That’s fine from my perspective, since that’s how it was handled on some of our best teams.

W

wolfe613

And they all contribute. In my opinion all the talent this team is going to make some coaching challenges as how to best use it. My best guess is geno will distribute the minutes with each player playing less. That’s fine from my perspective, since that’s how it was handled on some of our best teams.
and that might be the case but I was just stating how of all the players Williams to lose her minutes? She was so consistent in the tournament, if anyone is gonna be losing minutes it's Westbrook/Muhl/Olivia for inconsistencies.

Reaction Score
CW will be an all American this year, no way she sits. I think everyone who under appreciates her will be thankful we had her after this season. We have no one else like her and when she leaves we will need someone who can drive like she can and she was more comfortable with her shot last season. I expect her and Paige and Edwards to be our most consistent and dominant players.

CL82

Reaction Score
CW will be an all American this year, no way she sits. I think everyone who under appreciates her will be thankful we had her after this season. We have no one else like her and when she leaves we will need someone who can drive like she can and she was more comfortable with her shot last season. I expect her and Paige and Edwards to be our most consistent and dominant players.

I’ve said this before but I think all these we will have deep will open up the paint for Christyn to drive which of what she does best. I think she’s going to have a good season.

Reaction Score
I think it’s her natural position she would rather set up teammates than score herself. In a perfect world, you want to be able to put your five best players on the court. Paige as a point guard who can score, or set someone else to score, pretty much it will is the better option. That isn’t a slight to Nika, but Paige is a once in a generation talent whose presence at the point makes everyone better.

I trust Geno and CD to figure it out, but in the end only five can be on the court at a time. Just curious, you kind of demurred on who are the rest of your starting five, which allowed you to avoid saying who you would sit. I’m curious, who are you starting five and who plays what positions?
One can pass from any position. Her best offensive moves come when she is on the wing and her best defensive moves come when she is off the ball. Nika is the exact opposite; her best offensive play comes from shooting or penetrating from the top of the key and her best defense is played guarding the ball.
Ultimately, the best lineup is Nika at point with Paige and Azzi at the wings. Having Williams and Westbrook as backups is an embarrassment of riches at the 1-3 positions.

Reaction Score
One can pass from any position. Her best offensive moves come when she is on the wing and her best defensive moves come when she is off the ball. Nika is the exact opposite; her best offensive play comes from shooting or penetrating from the top of the key and her best defense is played guarding the ball.
Ultimately, the best lineup is Nika at point with Paige and Azzi at the wings. Having Williams and Westbrook as backups is an embarrassment of riches at the 1-3 positions.
Even if that were the best lineup, UConn is a program and not just a team. You don't bench two seniors who are playing well. Maybe minutes will be adjusted, but not the starting lineup, unless their is a very clear reason.

Reaction Score
Even if that were the best lineup, UConn is a program and not just a team. You don't bench two seniors who are playing well. Maybe minutes will be adjusted, but not the starting lineup, unless their is a very clear reason.
Carolyn Doty wasn't benched her senior year even though the players on the bench were better, and Carolyn was half the player she had been. Geno respects the players who gave everything, and that is the Uconn way.

Reaction Score
There is a clear reason; no way he is starting four guards with the post players now on the team. Also, one of the best reporters just said that Azzi and Paige are clearly the two best players on the team, which hardly anyone would dispute. I can understand respecting seniors, but ultimately the best players will get the most minutes and, even more importantly, will be on the court at the end of any close game.

W

wolfe613

There is a clear reason; no way he is starting four guards with the post players now on the team. Also, one of the best reporters just said that Azzi and Paige are clearly the two best players on the team, which hardly anyone would dispute. I can understand respecting seniors, but ultimately the best players will get the most minutes and, even more importantly, will be on the court at the end of any close game.
can't recall a player that was much underappreciated in a Uconn uniform than Williams, when she's gone I'm sure more ppl will start to realize how good of a player she was

Reaction Score
I can see Geno at some point referring to Paige, Nika and Azzi as the Bermuda Triangle when they come to his office! LOL

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I can see Geno at some point referring to Paige, Nika and Azzi as the Bermuda Triangle
I can Invision the BT or the Three Musketeers being the primary guard set. At some point. Liberal substitutions one at a time to keep strong fresh legs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom