OT: "A Date That Shall Live in Infamy. . ." | The Boneyard

OT: "A Date That Shall Live in Infamy. . ."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . were the words of President Franklin D. Roosevelt before a joint session of Congress asking for a declaration of war against Japan sfter the attacks on Pearl Harbor and other US military bases and airfields on December 7, 1941.

As we gear up for commemorations or observances (please, avoid celebration) of this event, we can expect the reference by careless orators and writers to that "day of infamy." If they are trying to echo FDR, they miss the important point he made from a historical perspective. It was the date -- December 7 -- that he intended should be forever infamous. And it has been.

It wasn't just a bad day, a military defeat (of which there would be many before ultimate victory was attained). It was a horrible and unprecedented disaster which the president was determined would neither be forgotten nor repeated. Indeed, "a date which will live in infamy." Forever.

[On edit, I corrected "that shall" to read "which will" to quote FDR with absolute precision. My apology for relying on my ability to recall rather than my dedication to research.]

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
. . . were the words of President Franklin D. Roosevelt before a joint session of Congress asking for a declaration of war against Japan sfter the attacks on Pearl Harbor and other US military bases and airfields on December 7, 1941.

As we gear up for commemorations or observances (please, avoid celebration) of this event, we can expect the reference by careless orators and writers to that "day of infamy." If they are trying to echo FDR, they miss the important point he made from a historical perspective. It was the date -- December 7 -- that he intended should be forever infamous. And it has been.

It wasn't just a bad day, a military defeat (of which there would be many before ultimate victory was attained). It was a horrible and unprecedented disaster which the president was determined would neither be forgotten nor repeated. Indeed, "a date which will live in infamy." Forever.

[On edit, I corrected "that shall" to read "which will" to quote FDR with absolute precision. My apology for relying on my ability to recall rather than my dedication to research.]

Point well taken.

Reaction Score
Our Vice Principal was reading announcements last year and called it a great date in U.S. history......hmm.

Reaction Score
Our Vice Principal was reading announcements last year and called it a great date in U.S. history......hmm.

Just goes to show an advanced degree does not always make one astute and thoughtful.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've visited the Pearl Harbor memorial a half dozen times. I always come away with the same positive feeling - "out of the ashes. . . "

Kib - I've never considered Pearl Harbor as a military defeat. A defeat is when the enemy gains some advantage tactical or strategic. The Japanese achieved neither at Pearl Harbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom