OT: - A cultural loss: Threadgill's in Austin permanently closes | The Boneyard

OT: A cultural loss: Threadgill's in Austin permanently closes

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've been in mourning this entire week since I found out Threadgill's will not be reopening even when the current restrictions are lifted.

Threadgill's is — or was :( — more than just an eatery or live music spot. It was a cultural institution.

Perhaps its biggest claim to fame was as the hangout spot of Janis Joplin when she was a student at UT in the early 1960s. Back then it was just a filling station and beer joint owned by local music legend Kenneth Threadgill, located beyond the city limits, which hosted Wednesday night "hootenannies" (informal open mic sessions).

In the 1970s it was bought by music promoter Eddie Wilson of "Armadillo World Headquarters" fame, and in 1981 it was converted into a restaurant serving traditional Southern cooking, which it remained until the current pandemic.

I don't know what I'll miss more, the live music or the chance to enjoy comfort favorites like chicken fried steak, collard greens and fried green tomatoes at a very affordable price. :(

COVID-19 perhaps only accelerated the inevitable. Wilson was already preparing to retire, and the gentrification of Austin and exorbitant property taxes made the business model difficult to sustain. But still, the inevitability doesn't cure the sadness of the loss.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been in mourning this entire week since I found out Threadgill's will not be reopening even when the current restrictions are lifted.

Threadgill's is — or was :( — more than just an eatery or live music spot. It was a cultural institution.

Perhaps its biggest claim to fame was as the hangout spot of Janis Joplin when she was a student at UT in the early 1960s. Back then it was just a filling station and beer joint owned by local music legend Kenneth Threadgill, located beyond the city limits, which hosted Wednesday night "hootenannies" (informal open mic sessions).

In the 1970s it was bought by music promoter Eddie Wilson of "Armadillo World Headquarters" fame, and in 1981 it was converted into a restaurant serving traditional Southern cooking, which it was remained until the current pandemic.

I don't know what I'll miss more, the live music or the chance to enjoy comfort favorites like chicken fried steak, collard greens and fried green tomatoes at a very affordable price. :(

COVID-19 perhaps only accelerated the inevitable. Wilson was already preparing to retire, and the gentrification of Austin and exorbitant property taxes made the business model difficult to sustain. But still, the inevitability doesn't cure the sadness of the loss.

One more piece of “Old Austin” gone. Plenty of great sushi but where are the collard greens in bacon fat? My last trip to Threadgills was a fundraiser for mental health services for local musicians with performances by singer songwriters. Both the food and the music spoke of the Austin I have known. I suppose a lot of the expanded population (including lots of wonderful, creative people) did not grow up on and do not really appreciate the kind of food Threadgills served.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Had no idea it was a music venue.... just knew of it as a restaurant

One more piece of “Old Austin” gone. Plenty of great sushi but where are the collard greens in bacon fat? My last trip to Threadgills was a fundraiser for mental health services for local musicians with performances by singer songwriters. Both the food and the music spoke of the Austin I have known. I suppose a lot of the expanded population (including lots of wonderful, creative people) did not grow up on and do not really appreciate the kind of food Threadgills served.

No pork in the collards?

walk away.gif

Reaction Score
I was there about three months ago and Mr Wilson sat at the table next to us. He came over and talked to us for a bit then gave our entire table dessert. Bourbon pecan pie. Yum.

Gonna miss it. The broccoli rice casserole was the best

Plebe

Reaction Score
I found this nice clip of a local public TV interview with Eddie Wilson from several months ago.

In it he talks about having to shut down the "World Headquarters" location on Riverside (just south of downtown) in 2018 because the rent had become ridiculous. I remember shaking my head at that news, but I certainly didn't expect the original location to shut down a little over a year later.

Austin's becoming (or has become) something very different than it used to be.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
I was there about three months ago and Mr Wilson sat at the table next to us. He came over and talked to us for a bit then gave our entire table dessert. Bourbon pecan pie. Yum.

Gonna miss it. The broccoli rice casserole was the best
I'll miss the pecan pie. I also liked their buttermilk pie. Nice and simple Southern style.

I can't even count the number of times I stopped and picked up a meal to go. My go-to was the homestyle meat loaf, collard greens, and stewed okra and tomatoes. Sometimes I'd change it up on the veggies and sometimes I'd get the catfish or the chicken fried steak.

I had no idea, when I last went there in early March, that I was going there for the last time.

:oops:

Reaction Score
Back in the day (the late 80’s thru the early 2000’s) did a ton of business in Houston and the best part of any trip was the 2 1/2 hour ride to eat and see music in Austin. Was back in 2014 and the city had changed quite a but but then nothing lasts forever.
“Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man” from Paradise by the late great John Prine.

Reaction Score
Had no idea it was a music venue.... just knew of it as a restaurant

Oh,yes. Those of a certain age remember Janice Joplin singing there. My partner loves to remember sitting on the patio at The Armadillo with friends drinking beer for a dollar a pitcher, eating fried chicken livers, with Willie Nelson performing live. No cover!

Reaction Score
The original Dillo (the old national guard armory building off Barton Springs road), was the bomb. I was a high schooler when I saw ACDC play their first American show there in 1977. Was just a plain, dirty, and cool music hall.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm sorry to be a killjoy....
Hundreds; no thousands of the places of merit, that we loved will succumb. It's Not going to be the same...

The only silver lining is that eventually, there will be establishments
to take their place...eventually.

May I live so long.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry to be a killjoy....
Hundreds; no thousands of the places of merit, that we loved will succumb. It's Not going to be the same...

The only silver lining is that eventually, there will be establishments
to take their place...eventually.

May I live so long.

sorry but the demise of Threadgill’s and Austin’s eclecticism has virtually nothing to do with the current health situation if that is the point you are trying to make.It is mostly about greed, as Plebe pointed out.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Someone sent me this beautiful retrospective on Threadgill's, with a fun news clip and interview with Eddie Wilson included. (I'll forgive them for misspelling Janis Joplin's name, this one time.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom