A couple of odds and ends | The Boneyard

A couple of odds and ends

Reaction Score
Zion Turner is now the most experienced QB on the squad by quite a bit. The only other extended playing time belongs to Puma for his three games last year. Next year, unless someone comes through the portal with better credentials, he is the incumbent.

Punts keep hitting the ground and killing our field position almost every game. Maybe it's time to put two returners back.

We're scored 20, 28, 14, 0, 10, 19, 33, 21 and 13 points in our nine contests. Our defense is almost constantly under pressure making their play even more impressive.

Hate to say it but Chalton has adopted Diaco's passing approach of avoiding throws between the numbers. Almost everything is to the sidelines. It does cut down on mistakes but it also cuts down on scoring.

Noe Ruelas has done a fine job of replacing McFadden. I think we should call him - Yes Ruelas.

Jackson Mitchell is so good he overshadows Ian Swensen who has had a terrific season. Only JM has more tackles.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It's November and we still have games that matter; goals to play for.

How hard is it to go +5 on turnovers and score 13 points? Don't think I've ever seen that...

It is possible to happy with where this team is and simultaneously recognize they have a long way to go. One TD in our last 6 quarters - ouch.

I get it - we're deliberately taking the air out of the ball. I'll be happy when we don't have to anymore; when we have the confidence to go for the jugular with a lead. BTW, I'm not putting that on Charlton's play-calling. I'm sure he's following directions

Continuing to upgrade the roster is a big next step; better depth will go a long way to mitigating the impact of injuries.

Obviously scheme is a factor (the 4-3 switch) but watching individuals players progress the way they have, makes me wonder if we just didn't bother trying to teach position techniques for the last eight or so years. It's really fun watching players get better.

How much is that second half against Ball St. gonna bother us when we finish at 6-6?

I'm pretty sure that Victor RosaSosa (as CBSSN likes to call him) got by quite well in high school bouncing outside on every carry. He's gonna have to learn when to settle for two yards.

Reaction Score
Zion Turner is now the most experienced QB on the squad by quite a bit. The only other extended playing time belongs to Puma for his three games last year. Next year, unless someone comes through the portal with better credentials, he is the incumbent.

Punts keep hitting the ground and killing our field position almost every game. Maybe it's time to put two returners back.

We're scored 20, 28, 14, 0, 10, 19, 33, 21 and 13 points in our nine contests. Our defense is almost constantly under pressure making their play even more impressive.

Hate to say it but Chalton has adopted Diaco's passing approach of avoiding throws between the numbers. Almost everything is to the sidelines. It does cut down on mistakes but it also cuts down on scoring.

Noe Ruelas has done a fine job of replacing McFadden. I think we should call him - Yes Ruelas.

Jackson Mitchell is so good he overshadows Ian Swensen who has had a terrific season. Only JM has more tackles.

Reaction Score
It's November and we still have games that matter; goals to play for.

How hard is it to go +5 on turnovers and score 13 points? Don't think I've ever seen that...

It is possible to happy with where this team is and simultaneously recognize they have a long way to go. One TD in our last 6 quarters - ouch.

I get it - we're deliberately taking the air out of the ball. I'll be happy when we don't have to anymore; when we have the confidence to go for the jugular with a lead. BTW, I'm not putting that on Charlton's play-calling. I'm sure he's following directions

Continuing to upgrade the roster is a big next step; better depth will go a long way to mitigating the impact of injuries.

Obviously scheme is a factor (the 4-3 switch) but watching individuals players progress the way they have, makes me wonder if we just didn't bother trying to teach position techniques for the last eight or so years. It's really fun watching players get better.

How much is that second half against Ball St. gonna bother us when we finish at 6-6?

I'm pretty sure that Victor RosaSosa (as CBSSN likes to call him) got by quite well in high school bouncing outside on every carry. He's gonna have to learn when to settle for two yards.
It took us a year and a half to break Donald Brown from the habit. And after he broke out at the end of his redshirt frosh year, he reverted back to that to a large extent the next season.

This is a normal thing for running backs to learn. Donald Brown, Andre Dixon and Cornell Brockington all redshirted. It’s not Rosa’s fault that he isn’t there yet. But we desperately need Houston back if we’re going to get to 6 wins.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It took us a year and a half to brake Donald Brown from the habit. And after he broke out at the end of his redshirt frosh year, he reverted back to that to a large extent the next season.

This is a normal thing for running backs to learn. Donald Brown, Andre Dixon and Cornell Brockington all redshirted. It’s not Rosa’s fault that he isn’t there yet. But we desperately need Houston back if we’re going to get to 6 wins.
Fair enough. Nothing teaches like necessity.

Reaction Score
I still would like to see what Roberson brings to the table. He's a true dual threat that will really bring another layer to the offense. Making it harder to defend. Zion runs well, but Roberson looked quicker in practice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom