A couple of interesting Muffet quotes | The Boneyard

A couple of interesting Muffet quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“I don’t like coaching against friends,” said McGraw, who lost the first three games she coached against Foster and Saint Joseph’s while she was at Lehigh but now has won the last four while at Notre Dame against Foster-coached teams at Saint Joseph’s (once), Vanderbilt (once) and Ohio State (twice).

“This is actually the first game we set up and I was opposed,” McGraw said. “I don’t like to play my friends, which is pretty easy because I don’t have that many in coaching. When he called and said he wanted to get on the schedule, we talked about it a little bit and agreed to do it. I just don’t like it – I’m too competitive.”

LINK

Reaction Score
"...I don't have many friends in coaching..."

must.think.about.this

It may be a conscious decision on her part not to make friends with opposing coaches- she said she doesn't like to play against the coaching friends she already has. I can understand her doing that.

Reaction Score
Perhaps explains why a once reportedly cordial relationship between she and Geno went down hill. I don't think it is a stretch to think she is the one who had the problem with losing to UConn so often until recent years and couldn't tolerate the repeated losses due to her competitive nature. Geno, while sometimes a pompous jerk who is as competitive as they come, seems better able to separate the team competition from the personal relationships. Muffett, not so much. But at least she has that self awareness. I give her credit for that.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It may be a conscious decision on her part not to make friends with opposing coaches- she said she doesn't like to play against the coaching friends she already has. I can understand her doing that.

fair enough. You make a great point

Yet, I do think that she is a whiner....just sayin'

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Perhaps explains why a once reportedly cordial relationship between she and Geno went down hill. I don't think it is a stretch to think she is the one who had the problem with losing to UConn so often until recent years and couldn't tolerate the repeated losses due to her competitive nature. Geno, while sometimes a pompous jerk who is as competitive as they come, seems better able to separate the team competition from the personal relationships. Muffett, not so much. But at least she has that self awareness. I give her credit for that.

You are a much nicer person than I am Chappy

Reaction Score
Maybe Muffet is just being appropriately modest. Ever think of that?......

Reaction Score
Generalizations to follow, so please excuse the absence of qualifying terms...

I've been around athletes most of my life, and it's obvious that there are differences between men and women when it comes to sport and competition. Men tend to be more individually-oriented and will compete very, very hard against each other-friend or not, but afterwards they will socialize together. Women are more supportive of each other before and after competitions, but if they get beat by a particular woman or feel wronged by a woman during competition, they will hold on to a grudge for months or years.

Reaction Score
NorCalHuskie said:

I've been around athletes most of my life, and it's obvious that there are differences between men and women when it comes to sport and competition. Men tend to be more individually-oriented and will compete very, very hard against each other-friend or not, but afterwards they will socialize together. Women are more supportive of each other before and after competitions, but if they get beat by a particular woman or feel wronged by a woman during competition, they will hold on to a grudge for months or years.

Women hold grudges against men too, we are equal opportunity grudge holders.

And for the record, I will never forgive you for these sweeping generalizations. Like, ever. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Amen.

Reaction Score
I don't know about the women holding grudges generalization. Very often I see the opposing players (including UConn and ND players) remaining friends after battling in tough games. They often play in leagues where they play with opposing players or against college team mates. I don't see much in the way of grudges...
I would say it is more individual than gender-dependent.

Reaction Score

So you know for a fact is a pompus jerk ? I thought as Geno has been quoted saying you have to first know him and then you can like him or think he's a pompous jerk. So I guess you know him.

Reaction Score
I think the way Geno has handled this loss says a lot about him - all of it good.

I also think of 2013 when his team beat ND (finally) in the semis. In the line after the game he stopped and spoke encouragingly to Skylar D, telling her not to let this final game diminish all she had accomplished. Classy move for somebody celebrating a very important victory.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I don't know about the women holding grudges generalization. Very often I see the opposing players (including UConn and ND players) remaining friends after battling in tough games. They often play in leagues where they play with opposing players or against college team mates. I don't see much in the way of grudges...

and I would agree.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
and I would agree.
not sure how well it applies, but, "back in the day" when I coached Little League softball, after the games, the kids from the two teams would sit together on snack bar benches, eating candy and laughing together. The parents on the other hand, were in two rival camps, the "winning" team parents jovial, and the "losing" team parents sulking..

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
not sure how well it applies, but, "back in the day" when I coached Little League softball, after the games, the kids from the two teams would sit together on snack bar benches, eating candy and laughing together. The parents on the other hand, were in two rival camps, the "winning" team parents jovial, and the "losing" team parents sulking..

I noticed you said "parents" and not "grown-ups"

Reaction Score
phil sampieri said:
So you know for a fact is a pompus jerk ? I thought as Geno has been quoted saying you have to first know him and then you can like him or think he's a pompous jerk. So I guess you know him.

Woah. Why so much hostility?

I have met his acqaintence, yes. We live in the same town and our sons played a season of little league together on the same team. And they played against each other on other teams for years. My husband once reffed a game between our two teams and Geno came out to tell my husband how to call the strikes so he could get home early. My husband DID feel Geno was being a pompous jerk, I thought he was trying to be funny. But am I friends with him? No.

I should have put it in quotes as I meant it more as a reference to how he sometimes comes off to fans of other teams and, yes, even some fans of UConn feel that way. Shocking, I know. Personally, I like and "get" Geno's sarcastic humor and comments. But I recognize that others are not so fond of his comments.

So sorry if I offended you. Seems so many here are very easily offended these days. This used to be such a fun place. Now? Not so much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Thus saith 'da man. NorCalHuskie Chp 1 Verse1

Reaction Score

The players are not that friendly. I was surprised. I can understand it tho.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I noticed you said "parents" and not "grown-ups"
oh, Lord, Rady: I don't know how boy's parents are - I had daughters - but, there always seemed to be a couple of 'em (moms and dads both) who viewed a weeknight Little League game as a tune-up for the Normandy Landing. I coached softball from "Little Miss Groton" for 7-yr olds all the way up to successful travel teams and successful high school teams, and it didn't seem to matter much. There were always a couple of "adults" who took it a bit too far. They also seemed to be unable or unwilling to recognize that the "everybody gets to play every game" creed that applies to youth league teams does not apply to highly-competitive travel or high school varsity teams - particularly if their daughter was losing playing time to an underclassman.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Women hold grudges against men too, we are equal opportunity grudge holders.

sad-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-661.gif

Truer words were never spoken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member