A Confident Statement | The Boneyard

A Confident Statement

Reaction Score
This isn't a new statement, but I just re-watched some AG highlights from the early part of this past season.....if this kid plays a complete 18'-19' season, we WILL have the best STARTING BACKCOURT in the entire country.

The only potential achilles heel that prevents this, which I'm very confident Hurley corrects over the summer, is their 3pt efficiency.

I'd love to hear who would like to contend this claim, and with which teams?

Reaction Score
There is no question the team was much worse after Gilbert left the line up. But there is no way to be confident that he will be healthy for any meaningful stretch of games. Any contribution we get from AG will be gravy and it can NOT be counted on.

Reaction Score
IMO Alterique's injuries had much to do with the last 2 years. His on court and leadership contributions could have changed many things. Moreover, the possibility that he would recover was a disincentive to some recruits who believed that a healthy Gilbert would take their minutes. I hope he has a chance to show who is he can be and too make a career out of the sport.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I love your "if," and temper my enthusiasm with acceptance that it's an "if."

I'm curious, as well, regarding informed and informing opinion about other teams' starting back courts that would contend for such a designation. Past that, it's the play on the court in head-to-head competition.

Alas, I expect to read more about the" if" than responses to your query in subsequent posts, but thanks for the forward look.

Reaction Score
This isn't a new statement, but I just re-watched some AG highlights from the early part of this past season.....if this kid plays a complete 18'-19' season, we WILL have the best STARTING BACKCOURT in the entire country.

The only potential achilles heel that prevents this, which I'm very confident Hurley corrects over the summer, is their 3pt efficiency.

Yup. Gilbert was coming into his own as the games went on and you could see the talent. We saw him make 3’s and if the guards can get a decent % going the back court is the team strength.

Reaction Score
Yes, it's prudent to hold off on Alterique until the shoulder proves to be fully mended. But let's also remember that Alterique has never played with a sound shoulder, even when he was winning McD AA honors. There's a chance, perhaps a 1/3 chance, that the shoulder will at last be fully repaired, and Alterique will blossom as never before. In any case, Alterique is our one chance to have a Kemba/Shabazz-style court presence this year. Jalen is a great talent, but he has never filled the role of floor general, and it is kind of late to expect it now.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We've claiming the best backcourt for years. I think this will be the best of our post Shabazz backcourt, but I've learned not to be too optimistic. There is some tough competition out there.

Reaction Score

If AG is healthy and no problems crop up, you are correct. And we have some decent backup as well.

pj

Reaction Score
We have as much talent as anyone, but it takes time to develop chemistry, especially under a new coach. If health is good, if chemistry develops, if the surrounding players develop and are valid threats that open space, our backcourt can be really good. It's why, if Alterique is healthy, he and Jalen are playing 33 mpg and CV, Sid, Tyler, and Tarin splitting the other 54 perimeter minutes.

Reaction Score

Virginia Tech
Justin Robinson
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Ahmed Hill
Chris Clarke 2/3
Ty Outlaw 2/3

Wabissa Bede
(Cushing/Mass Rivals) 4* Top 100 recruit who will be better this year.

I think VT has the best group of guards heading into the 2018-19 season.

Front court depth is a concern for VT.

Reaction Score
Yeah, theyre pretty damn good but I wouldnt say the best. Top 5 though.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't know why you guys do this to yourselves lol. We've got a clean slate. For my own sanity I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Were going to the Final Four!!

BlackCautiousDouglasfirbarkbeetle-max-1mb.gif

Reaction Score
Yeah, theyre pretty damn good but I wouldnt say the best. Top 5 though.

If you take Clarke out of the equation as a guard (but he seems to be lsited as a 2/3 with Buzz) then you still have to put them top 3. Basically I went with a team of proven players without factoring in true Freshman.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't know why you guys do this to yourselves lol. We've got a clean slate. For my own sanity I'm keeping my expectations in check.

I know that I'm contractually obligated to continue my undefeated predictions, so I still continue to predict that. But I'm being dead serious when I say that I think UConn is going to shock a lot of folks this coming season with how good we are going to be.

Shockingly good... :cool:

Reaction Score
I know that I'm contractually obligated to continue my undefeated predictions, so I still continue to predict that. But I'm being dead serious when I say that I think UConn is going to shock a lot of folks this coming season with how good we are going to be.

I agree!

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Last year was such a train wreck that people are quick to forget that we were competing with MSU possession for possession with a healthy Gilbert until he reinjured his shoulder halfway through the game.

While I don't think we'll be the best back court in the country, we'll be much better than most think.

I agree with the OP that a big factor is the unknown around 3-pt shooting. Adams has room for improvement. CV will shoot better percentages this year than last. AG and newcomers are wild cards. If we hit on everyone improving their percentages just a bit, combined with a better offense and conditioning combined with Hurley's improved coaching... then we could surprise some teams.

Reaction Score

Love your confidence InKembaITrust. It's a serious starting backcourt.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Don't get ahead of yourself. I'll settle for undefeated, shocking or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom