A Cautionary Tale | The Boneyard

A Cautionary Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Southern Miss now boasts the nation’s longest losing streak at 18 games. It’s been 670 days since the Golden Eagles have tasted victory. It takes more than one or two bad seasons under a new coach to get that bad. It takes a few years of bad recruiting. It takes an incompetent president and an ill equipped, uninformed and incompetent athletic director, and a host of other factors.
The Golden Eagles are now stuck in a conference with UAB, Rice, UTSA, FAU, FIU, MTSU and the like — and still losing.
Meanwhile, former conference foes Tulane, East Carolina, Tulsa, SMU and others are playing in the AAC while former rival Louisville is headed to the ACC. Southern Miss bypassed purgatory and went straight to hell — and the Golden Eagles may be there for quite some time."

This all sounded just a bit too close to home for my liking. Ineptitude caused Southern Miss to become marginalized in its region. With the better conference affiliations of our regional competitors, Syracuse, Rutgers, BC, Pitt, etc. we're staring at that same possibility. Those "what it takes to get that bad" factors responsible for S. Miss's current fate are the same ones that got us where we are. Happily, our miscreant Pres and AD are long gone but we're now all standing anxiously teetering over a precipice waiting for our next hire. Our saving grace is that Susan and Warde are smarter and committed to spending for success. They know the stakes. But we've only got one shot at getting it right. I'm confident but still nervous.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that Southern Miss fans look at us as the cautionary tale.

Reaction Score
Southern Miss wants to get UConn on its schedule - for the first four games of next season. That just would not have been the case a few years ago. Nice hire, UConn, geriatric PP.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Here's the REAL question: Better tailgating scene- UConn or Southern Mississippi?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Didn't Louisville play Southern Miss in a wading pool last year?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Louisville USM game might be the worst weather I've ever seen a game played in. It rained so hard for so long it seemed impossible.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There's no doubt we got screwed the worst in conference realignment, but southern Mississippi sure has second place locked up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm confident but still nervous.

If our chances of getting into a better conference was a stock, Nos' post is screaming "Sell!"

Reaction Score
I'd call it a cautious "hold". But let the new coach be a home run (there are a few on that list) and I'm buying with both hands.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I do not see where Suzy or Warde are smarter or more dedicated than anyone.
Keep hitching your wagon to those stars and the wagon will soon be a donkey cart

Reaction Score
I do not see where Suzy or Warde are smarter or more dedicated than anyone.
Keep hitching your wagon to those stars and the wagon will soon be a donkey cart

Couldn't disagree more.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I am hoping you are right, Nos. i just do mot see them as stars like many on this board do.
I am not an insider, just an alum and logtime fan who would like to see our A.D. out front more explaining to the fans his goals/plans.
I have not sern where Herbst really knows how to get us to the next level either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom