Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Player of the year: A. Thomas

Coach of the Year: McGraw

Freshman of the year: #23 of the tarheels

Defensive Player of the Year: Elizabeth Williams

HGN

Reaction Score
Fair enough...............Though I guess they didn't want to give all the accolades to ND. No one could argue with Alyssa Thomas as POY though some might have mentioned McBride.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Fair enough.....Though I guess they didn't want to give all the accolades to ND. No one could argue with Alyssa Thomas as POY though some might have mentioned McBride.

My guess is that Loyd took votes away from McBride, allowing Thomas to win

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Fair enough.....Though I guess they didn't want to give all the accolades to ND. No one could argue with Alyssa Thomas as POY though some might have mentioned McBride.

ACC Women's Basketball Digest picked Jewell Loyd as its selection for ACC POY.

Notre Dame finished 16-0 in the ACC (first place). Stats for ACC games:

Jewell Loyd - 19.7 points, 5.9 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.0 steals, 53.6 percent from the floor, 47.4 percent from three, 86.4 percent from the line.
Kayla McBride - 19.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 48.2 percent from the floor, 30.0 percent from three, 91.9 precent from the line.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
On the Achonwa question, it does seem like you should balance out the positions on the all-conference team a bit. Four guards and a forward on the ACC team, while Achonwa and Williams are on the second team. OTOH, if the 5 best players in your conference really were PGs for instance, it would be unfair to leave any out.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
^ The official All-ACC teams are pretty balanced by position:

First Team All-ACC
Diamond DeShields, Fr., G, North Carolina
Markeisha Gatling, Sr., C, NC State
Dearica Hamby, Jr., F, Wake Forest
Natasha Howard, Sr., F, Florida State
Tricia Liston, Sr., G, Duke
Jewell Loyd, So., G, Notre Dame
Tyaunna Marshall, Sr., G, Georgia Tech
Kayla McBride, Sr., G, Notre Dame
Alyssa Thomas, Sr., F, Maryland
Elizabeth Williams, Jr., C/F, Duke

Second Team All-ACC
Natalie Achonwa, Sr., F, Notre Dame
Kody Burke, Sr., F, NC State
Kaela Davis, Fr., G, Georgia Tech
Brittney Sykes, So., G, Syracuse
Uju Ugoka, Sr., F, Virginia Tech

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
Kara's still not happy...

Kara Lawson ‏@karalawson20 3h
It kind of defeats the purpose having an All-ACC 1st team if Natalie Achonwa isn't on it. ND won the league by 4 games! #watchthegamespeople

Who cares by how many games ND won the league? These All-ACC teams are about individual performance. Which of those post players should be knocked down to make way for Achonwa? Definitely not Howard, and I imagine people haven't seen Hamby play that much since she's at Wake. She has improved a ton, and was probably the toughest post player out there because she just keeps going and going and going. And don't even suggest Gatling!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Who cares by how many games ND won the league? These All-ACC teams are about individual performance. Which of those post players should be knocked down to make way for Achonwa? Definitely not Howard, and I imagine people haven't seen Hamby play that much since she's at Wake. She has improved a ton, and was probably the toughest post player out there because she just keeps going and going and going. And don't even suggest Gatling!
An argument could be made for Williams getting second team. She has been somehwat disappointing this season. I doubt she would have won it if Jones and Gray were healthy, as then Duke would have had 4 players on the 10-person first team (Liston, Gray, Jones, and Williams) vs. 2 for ND. Achonwa has not been as good defensively as Williams, but she is very important as a passer and scorer for Notre Dame. Her inside game keeps post players honest, and she runs the floor exceptionally well.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Oh, right, that was the Digest team not the official ACC team with 10 on the first team. I guess the Digest and the coaches can battle that one out. Achonwa's stats are mainly lower than the other bigs though her 61% shooting is tremendous, so you'd have to go with that hard to define "team contribution" factor to put her in the top 10 above the ones who are pulling down the rebounds and scoring a ton.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
An argument could be made for Williams getting second team. She has been somehwat disappointing this season. I doubt she would have won it if Jones and Gray were healthy, as then Duke would have had 4 players on the 10-person first team (Liston, Gray, Jones, and Williams) vs. 2 for ND. Achonwa has not been as good defensively as Williams, but she is very important as a passer and scorer for Notre Dame. Her inside game keeps post players honest, and she runs the floor exceptionally well.
Actually those two do match up on stats pretty closely, though Williams gets the credit for being the biggest rejector in the ACC. Tough call.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Jones wouldnt have made the first team if Gray would have stayed healthy. I think they got the first team correct....though you could argue for Achonwa over EW....

Oh, right, that was the Digest team not the official ACC team with 10 on the first team. I guess the Digest and the coaches can battle that one out. Achonwa's stats are mainly lower than the other bigs though her 61% shooting is tremendous, so you'd have to go with that hard to define "team contribution" factor to put her in the top 10 above the ones who are pulling down the rebounds and scoring a ton.

Well in that case, you would still have to put Hamby, Howard, and Gatling in over her. Without Hamby... Wake would not have won a single ACC game. FSU wouldnt be anywhere without Howard.. same with State and Gatling. ND would still have been a top 3 ACC team without Achonwa.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
In ACC games, here is the comparison between EWill and Achonwa:

.................EWill....Achon
Minutes....30.0.....26.3
Points.......14.6......15.7
FG%..........49.5......63.4
Reb/game..8.1........7.4
Asts/game.2.4........3.1
Steals........24..........15
Blocks.......49..........20

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
In ACC games, here is the comparison between EWill and Achonwa:

.......EWill....Achon
Minutes....30.0.....26.3
Points..14.6.15.7
FG%.....49.5.63.4
Reb/game..8.1...7.4
Asts/game.2.4...3.1
Steals...24.....15
Blocks..49.....20
Probably the nod goes to the conference's defensive player of the year in these fairly close cases.

But I think Bucky wants us all to get on to the PAC-12 and B10 conference teams discussions, so maybe we should wrap this up. It's only WCBB after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom