A Blueprint to Follow | The Boneyard

A Blueprint to Follow

Reaction Score
Thanksgiving is upon us, and many are digesting the loss of Azzi for the remainder of the season. Still others decry UConn's overall lack of size going forward. I'm here to state that it is not the end of the world, and I offer a contrasting, more hopeful outlook for the season ahead.

Last season, the Iowa Hawkeyes had a tourney run for the ages, almost culminating in a NC. At the beginning of the 2022-23 year, few would have predicted Iowa could beat a loaded, undefeated SC on the way to reaching the championship game. In retrospect, it shouldn't be surprising. Iowa rode the coattails of a generational talent and a core of fundamentally sound and unselfish players, and demonstrated that a team doesn't have to be the tallest, deepest, or most talented team to succeed. Let's dig in and compare last year's Hawkeyes team to the 2023-24 UConn team.

Iowa has Caitlin Clark to UConn's Paige Buckers. Last season, Monika Czinano was a 6'3 center and UConn has 6'3 Aaliyah Edwards. At the "4" spot, Iowa had 6'1 McKenna Warnock & UConn will use Aubrey Griffin at 6'1. Over the course of the season, Iowa slowly incorporated their freshman talent Hannah Stuelke into the offensive scheme. UConn has 4 exciting freshmen to utilize, and Ice Brady at 6'3 is the closest counterpart to Iowa's Stuelke.

Iowa schemed Caitlin Clark's ability to shoot from anywhere to space the court with shooters, allowing Monika Czinano to do her thing in the paint. Early on, Iowa was lacking on the defensive front, but by the end of the season, their defenses had improved considerably. It also should be noted that despite Iowa's size, they out rebounded opponents on the season by 4 rebounds per game. For many critics of UConn, this is where they hang their hat. Yes, rebounding might be UConn's weakness for now, but over the course of the season, there's no reason why this area can't improve.

UConn has their own generational talent. Without Azzi & Caroline Ducharme in question, it's incumbent on Paige to adopt more of a "shoot first" mentality as a "2" guard. UConn has capable hands in Nika & KK to handle the point guard responsibilities. Without a consistent outside shooting presence, teams will collapse on Aaliyah Edwards, forcing other players to beat them. When Iowa lost last year, more often than not, Clark had an off shooting night. The other Iowa starters played off Clark and did not create their own shots. If Paige has an off shooting night, UConn has more weapons available to pick up the slack.

Iowa entered last season with the same starting lineup from Caitlin Clark's freshman year. Their chemistry and familiarity was evident and played a significant role in their success. UConn has a blend of promising new players & established upperclassmen. While they might lack Iowa's cohesiveness, they do have more overall talent. That's not a knock against the Iowa players, who are better players than generally given credit. UConn players usually enter the program with a higher pedigree. The new players have the opportunity for a lot of playing time, and as the season progresses, rotations and roles will evolve. If so, team chemistry will look far different in March than now.

UConn can mirror Iowa's trajectory from last year. Wins and losses, while important in November, are not necessarily a prelude to postseason success. Despite injuries, UConn remains a team with talent. UConn can mirror Iowa's success from last year, but a few things have to occur.

Players have to embrace their individual roles, accept a defense first identity, prioritize team rebounding, and the freshmen blossom ahead of schedule. Offensively, UConn has to push the ball, utilize their depth to create easy baskets and dictate the flow of the game. Like Caitlin Clark, Paige has to accept the challenge of carrying the team from the outset, rather than waiting to pick her spot. She needs to be more like the player who shot 15-26 against SC in her freshman season and the one who shot 15-19 in her sophomore year opener against Arkansas. Paige can be offensively passive, preferring to be a distributor, but needs to be more like Caitlin Clark, taking upwards of 20 shots per game. Like Clark, Buckers can make things easier for her teammates when she's in aggression mode.

Winning a NC requires having the winds of fortune at your back. Having the best team is no longer a guarantee of winning it all. UConn has the right pieces to replicate what Iowa accomplished. The season is still early, and if Lady Luck ever decides to cast favor on UConn again, this might be a heck of a team by season's end.

Reaction Score
I don’t care for this comparison to Iowa unless the point is to show that we have a much better team. Why? because we beat them soundly last season without Paige and Dorka. It was only close at the end because Kate Martin had the shooting game of her life that day. Czinano was no match for Aaliyah, and Azzi outplayed Caitlin by a wide margin, thanks to Nika’s stellar defense. We lost Azzi for the season but got back Paige, who has always been a better player than Caitlin. The Huskies that beat Iowa last season is clearly better than they were then, and Iowa is not.

The one thing that really rings true to me is how an NC depends on a bit of luck these days, something in short supply in Storrs. LSU and Iowa coasted a ride of luck last season and we didn’t. I have a feeling Paige and Aaliyah may manufacture their own luck this season with the help of their friends.

Reaction Score
I don’t care for this comparison to Iowa unless the point is to show that we have a much better team. Why? because we beat them soundly last season without Paige and Dorka. It was only close at the end because Kate Martin had the shooting game of her life that day. Czinano was no match for Aaliyah, and Azzi outplayed Caitlin by a wide margin, thanks to Nika’s stellar defense. We lost Azzi for the season but got back Paige, who has always been a better player than Caitlin. The Huskies that beat Iowa last season is clearly better than they were then, and Iowa is not.

The one thing that really rings true to me is how an NC depends on a bit of luck these days, something in short supply in Storrs. LSU and Iowa coasted a ride of luck last season and we didn’t. I have a feeling Paige and Aaliyah may manufacture their own luck this season with the help of their friends.
Mr. Bone Dog, this is your yard! Maybe the UConn men sucked up all the luck available to Storrs last year and it's the women's turn this year? :) I must say as far as luck goes, this year isn't starting very well...

Reaction Score
Iowa had the same starting five for three years. Huge advantage in a tournament. UConn does not have that luxury.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
If the starting five and rotation today is the same at tournament time we should still be OK, but that is a big if. Our problem the past few years has not been a lack of talent but instability due to injuries.

Reaction Score
Currently, I think UConn's biggest weakness when they play top opponents is lack of rebuilding, especially offensive rebounds. Often, Aaliyah is the only player in position to rebound when shots are taken- the other players are outside. If Caroline is playing and is being neutralized by just staying in the corner (which seems to happen often enough), move her inside more. Same with Aubrey- she almost never takes the 3-point shot. Aubrey does go in after rebounds, but Aubrey has a very awkward unpolished inside game. Caroline can do something with the ball if she gets it inside.

Ice is a huge possible improvement. I predict she will start to assert herself more & more which will help Aaliyah. Put Ice at the elbow- her shot there is almost as good as Aaliyah’s- and keep Aaliyah down low. I really want Ice and Aaliyah to be paired together more. I love how KK is pushing Nika to be more aggressive, and we are seeing Nika take the ball to the hoop more. If Nika and KK are in game together, KK seems more able to get inside, and Nika needs to become more consistently an outside threat (in other words, shoot the ball faster!). UConn still has Q, Ashlynn, and Alanna available to contribute. I’m very curious to see what Alanna will add, especially on the rebounding issue. Really good things are in store in Storrs this year!

Reaction Score
It’s not size imo we just haven’t had a good rebounding team in seems like at least 4 years ..

Reaction Score
Thanksgiving is upon us, and many are digesting the loss of Azzi for the remainder of the season. Still others decry UConn's overall lack of size going forward. I'm here to state that it is not the end of the world, and I offer a contrasting, more hopeful outlook for the season ahead.

Last season, the Iowa Hawkeyes had a tourney run for the ages, almost culminating in a NC. At the beginning of the 2022-23 year, few would have predicted Iowa could beat a loaded, undefeated SC on the way to reaching the championship game. In retrospect, it shouldn't be surprising. Iowa rode the coattails of a generational talent and a core of fundamentally sound and unselfish players, and demonstrated that a team doesn't have to be the tallest, deepest, or most talented team to succeed. Let's dig in and compare last year's Hawkeyes team to the 2023-24 UConn team.

Iowa has Caitlin Clark to UConn's Paige Buckers. Last season, Monika Czinano was a 6'3 center and UConn has 6'3 Aaliyah Edwards. At the "4" spot, Iowa had 6'1 McKenna Warnock & UConn will use Aubrey Griffin at 6'1. Over the course of the season, Iowa slowly incorporated their freshman talent Hannah Stuelke into the offensive scheme. UConn has 4 exciting freshmen to utilize, and Ice Brady at 6'3 is the closest counterpart to Iowa's Stuelke.

Iowa schemed Caitlin Clark's ability to shoot from anywhere to space the court with shooters, allowing Monika Czinano to do her thing in the paint. Early on, Iowa was lacking on the defensive front, but by the end of the season, their defenses had improved considerably. It also should be noted that despite Iowa's size, they out rebounded opponents on the season by 4 rebounds per game. For many critics of UConn, this is where they hang their hat. Yes, rebounding might be UConn's weakness for now, but over the course of the season, there's no reason why this area can't improve.

UConn has their own generational talent. Without Azzi & Caroline Ducharme in question, it's incumbent on Paige to adopt more of a "shoot first" mentality as a "2" guard. UConn has capable hands in Nika & KK to handle the point guard responsibilities. Without a consistent outside shooting presence, teams will collapse on Aaliyah Edwards, forcing other players to beat them. When Iowa lost last year, more often than not, Clark had an off shooting night. The other Iowa starters played off Clark and did not create their own shots. If Paige has an off shooting night, UConn has more weapons available to pick up the slack.

Iowa entered last season with the same starting lineup from Caitlin Clark's freshman year. Their chemistry and familiarity was evident and played a significant role in their success. UConn has a blend of promising new players & established upperclassmen. While they might lack Iowa's cohesiveness, they do have more overall talent. That's not a knock against the Iowa players, who are better players than generally given credit. UConn players usually enter the program with a higher pedigree. The new players have the opportunity for a lot of playing time, and as the season progresses, rotations and roles will evolve. If so, team chemistry will look far different in March than now.

UConn can mirror Iowa's trajectory from last year. Wins and losses, while important in November, are not necessarily a prelude to postseason success. Despite injuries, UConn remains a team with talent. UConn can mirror Iowa's success from last year, but a few things have to occur.

Players have to embrace their individual roles, accept a defense first identity, prioritize team rebounding, and the freshmen blossom ahead of schedule. Offensively, UConn has to push the ball, utilize their depth to create easy baskets and dictate the flow of the game. Like Caitlin Clark, Paige has to accept the challenge of carrying the team from the outset, rather than waiting to pick her spot. She needs to be more like the player who shot 15-26 against SC in her freshman season and the one who shot 15-19 in her sophomore year opener against Arkansas. Paige can be offensively passive, preferring to be a distributor, but needs to be more like Caitlin Clark, taking upwards of 20 shots per game. Like Clark, Buckers can make things easier for her teammates when she's in aggression mode.

Winning a NC requires having the winds of fortune at your back. Having the best team is no longer a guarantee of winning it all. UConn has the right pieces to replicate what Iowa accomplished. The season is still early, and if Lady Luck ever decides to cast favor on UConn again, this might be a heck of a team by season's end.
Thank you. We need optimism, at least I do. I see the sky falling. Again.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Two problems with this pov.

M. Moore was UConn’s highest volume shooter at about 18 per game for her career. Her senior year we beat ND for the BE championship. Though Moore won tourny MVP, she claimed the freshman Dolson should have won it. In the NCAA tournament Moore alone put UConn on her back, scored 36 points and we lost. One player putting the others on her back is not the UConn way. Auriemma does not recruit for that and they are not trained for that. Not even Taurasi ever put the team on her back like Moore did in that game. It’s not a winning strategy for the UConn system.

Second, and to reiterate once again, Clark’s teammates did their part. Clark shot 48% against USC, the rest of the team shot 50%. They also shot better from 3. This was a common theme throughout the year, her teammates always with a higher shooting percentage than Clark. The pressure on Clark made them better of course, but so did being the same starting line up for three years and being good natural shooters. I’m glad this is not the Iowa board because at some point I would think these capable teammates would find this consistent false narrative insulting.

Had her teammates shot at the same percentage as Clark against USC they would have lost. Just like UConn would lose if the teammates of Bueckers do not do their part.

Reaction Score
And a third problem with this post: yeah sure, it was early… for both teams.

Iowa may well have been a better team in March because they didn’t suffer any injuries. Sorry to keep ringing this bell, but it is the obvious truth. Like LSU, Iowa benefitted from a good deal of luck in March. I don’t begrudge them that, but I don’t need to hear how great they and Caitlin were in absolute terms. Let either of these teams suffer the sort of team changing injuries UConn did and neither of them would even have made it out of the first round in March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom