A bit of venting on opportunities lost | The Boneyard

A bit of venting on opportunities lost

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I know that I am not alone on this board but I was at the first game at the Rent (we blew out Indiana).

I also know that I am not alone in knowing what games at Memorial decades ago were like. For a little clarification, forty years ago was the start of my senior year (college, not HS). The following spring, the Big East tournament was in Hartford (the last time it wasn’t held in MSG).

I still remember showing up to a few Saturday morning games, hung over, laughing at the idea that what we were witnessing was collegiate football while on TV CBS would show SWC games (often SMU when they were a top five team), ABC would show the Big 10 (obviously Ohio St, Michigan but also Wisconsin and Iowa as both programs started being good again for the first time in decades). If you saw Memorial in 1979, 1980 or 1981, the Rent in 2003 would never have been considered a possibility.

To the point: Lew Perkins announced his departure from UConn in the spring of 2003. Our leadership at that time thought they pulled off a coup by bringing his crony (Hathaway) back to UConn from Colorado State. JH was barely on the job at UConn when the Rent opened (to a full house, with a team that finished merely .500 the prior year after being a few miles shy of being remotely competitive the prior three years).

At that moment, if JH was an achiever, someone with the vision and ambition to move to the top of his field. Someone with the character and the quality to want to always offer his best when his reputation is on the line and his livelihood is at stake, he would have said to himself “My God, if we can fill this stadium today, in ten years we can pack a 60,000 seat stadium. In 20 years we can pack a 70,000 seat stadium. We need to do everything necessary to ensure that the program is always moving forward, always taking the steps to be better tomorrow than it is today”. Unfortunately he saw the packed house and said to himself “my work is done here”.

What infuriates me is we aren’t far from that twenty years later and instead of people debating how best to complete the next stadium expansion we are hearing too many people refer to the stadium as a white elephant. Hathaway never saw any need in true success for football. He assumed that as long as we had a program capable of filling the seats, nothing better was worth any effort.

Reaction Score
I know that I am not alone on this board but I was at the first game at the Rent (we blew out Indiana).

I also know that I am not alone in knowing what games at Memorial decades ago were like. For a little clarification, forty years ago was the start of my senior year (college, not HS). The following spring, the Big East tournament was in Hartford (the last time it wasn’t held in MSG).

I still remember showing up to a few Saturday morning games, hung over, laughing at the idea that what we were witnessing was collegiate football while on TV CBS would show SWC games (often SMU when they were a top five team), ABC would show the Big 10 (obviously Ohio St, Michigan but also Wisconsin and Iowa as both programs started being good again for the first time in decades). If you saw Memorial in 1979, 1980 or 1981, the Rent in 2003 would never have been considered a possibility.

To the point: Lew Perkins announced his departure from UConn in the spring of 2003. Our leadership at that time thought they pulled off a coup by bringing his crony (Hathaway) back to UConn from Colorado State. JH was barely on the job at UConn when the Rent opened (to a full house, with a team that finished merely .500 the prior year after being a few miles shy of being remotely competitive the prior three years).

At that moment, if JH was an achiever, someone with the vision and ambition to move to the top of his field. Someone with the character and the quality to want to always offer his best when his reputation is on the line and his livelihood is at stake, he would have said to himself “My God, if we can fill this stadium today, in ten years we can pack a 60,000 seat stadium. In 20 years we can pack a 70,000 seat stadium. We need to do everything necessary to ensure that the program is always moving forward, always taking the steps to be better tomorrow than it is today”. Unfortunately he saw the packed house and said to himself “my work is done here”.

What infuriates me is we aren’t far from that twenty years later and instead of people debating how best to complete the next stadium expansion we are hearing too many people refer to the stadium as a white elephant. Hathaway never saw any need in true success for football. He assumed that as long as we had a program capable of filling the seats, nothing better was worth any effort.
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote above…and was a few years behind you at UConn (Tom Jackson years!). I blame Hathaway for the state of UConn athletics today. His ineptitude and self-serving cowardice set the athletic department back at the exact same time that we needed to move forward. He is the type of leader that gets shot by his own men.

The other factor that can’t be overlooked however was the transformation of the Big East as we were coming into our own. We got “good” just when (and in part, due to) the Big East football schools leaving for greener pastures. That timing couldn’t have been worse.

Reaction Score
How much of Hathaway's inaction was due to fear of upsetting Calhoun and Auriema? I only ask because I remember Calhoun disdainfully referring to the Burton/Shenk as the Taj Mahal?

Reaction Score
Private schools ruled the northeast, and still do.
They do, but that’s the opportunity. There isn’t a single credible public national university in the Northeast. That’s what the opportunity was and is.

Reaction Score
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote above…and was a few years behind you at UConn (Tom Jackson years!). I blame Hathaway for the state of UConn athletics today. His ineptitude and self-serving cowardice set the athletic department back at the exact same time that we needed to move forward. He is the type of leader that gets shot by his own men.

The other factor that can’t be overlooked however was the transformation of the Big East as we were coming into our own. We got “good” just when (and in part, due to) the Big East football schools leaving for greener pastures. That timing couldn’t have been worse.
During the Hathaway era we were a fully fueled Saturn V rocket on the launchpad

Reaction Score
How much of Hathaway's inaction was due to fear of upsetting Calhoun and Auriema? I only ask because I remember Calhoun disdainfully referring to the Burton/Shenk as the Taj Mahal?

If that had something to do with it, the answer should have been to fundraise for a better facilities for basketball AND continue to support football, not support football less.

But of course, at the time since both basketball programs were in great shape Hathaway felt he didn't have to work.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
During the Hathaway era we were a fully fueled Saturn V rocket on the launchpad
Hbo Explosion GIF by SuccessionHBO

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hathaway never did anything to appease JC or GA.

There were a handful of people (JH included) who, within their respective job descriptions included determining how to build the basketball facility and soliciting funds to build it. Their answer was to have JC ask his players (who were at that point in the NBA) to foot the bill. JC interpreted it as them having him to do their job for them, with them later taking credit for it (there is a bit more here that I won't add).

JC wasn't opposed to the funds raised for football. He wasn't pleased with the manner in which basketball fundraising was addressed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

That's a great post.

Totally agree that it came down to leadership - or the lack there of. Great and principled leadership is very rare.

Reaction Score
A couple of points:
1.To Skiblets point point about being too late to the 1-A party: During the dinosaur days (pre-1950s), the biggest names in college football on the Eastern Seaboard were the Ivies. When the "Ancient 8" decided post war to downplay football & emphasize academics, Teams from the YanCon, Holy Cross, & others in their footprint decided to follow suit. This point was compounded when UConn A.d. John Toner was also named NCAA President & redistricted the football landscape by introducing Division 1-AA. While UConn & others were elevated to 1-AA, The Ivies were kicking & screaming that they were relegated to that division. Just a couple of years prior,Yale had been ranked #17 in the Nation & Dartmouth #20 in one of the final football polls.
2. J.C. was one of the Huskies biggest football fans on the elevation to 1-A status. He felt that ANYTHING that shed a positive light on the University was good for all concerned. There was even a Jim Calhoun Day during one of the early games at the RENT. Coach was introduced & gave a short pep rally type talk.

Reaction Score
One other point about John Toner: He was UConn's football coach as well as A.D. in the late '60s through the early 70s & he was a conundrum. He realized in the early 70s that he couldn't hold both positions & relinquished the Head Football Coach position as he became more involved with NCAA politics. He was caught off guard when UMass bolted the YanCon for the Eastern-8 (now Atlantic-10) & caught lightning in a bottle when the Huskies were offered a spot in the Big East by his friend Dave Gavitt after Holy Cross declined the nomination.
As politically connected as he was on the NCAA landscape, he was virtually inept in the political landscape locally. He had plans for Gampel Pavillion on the blue print table for years before he could get the edifice built. It only got approved by the State Legislature after the plans were downsized from a multipurpose facility with a capacity of 10K for basketball & 7700 for hockey to a single use facility with a seating capacity of 8800 for basketball. This was partially due to State fiscal constraints & partially to ensure gates at the rebuilt Hartford Civic Center.
As a former Football player & coach, he MAY have wanted to elevate UConn Football incrementally to 1-A status, but he was involved in too many issues in both of his positions to focus on the upgrade.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Hathaway never did anything to appease JC or GA.

There were a handful of people (JH included) who, within their respective job descriptions included determining how to build the basketball facility and soliciting funds to build it. Their answer was to have JC ask his players (who were at that point in the NBA) to foot the bill. JC interpreted it as them having him to do their job for them, with them later taking credit for it (there is a bit more here that I won't add).

JC wasn't opposed to the funds raised for football. He wasn't pleased with the manner in which basketball fundraising was addressed.
I have not insider knowledge, but I can tell you that I saw JC at a LOT of UCONN football games at Memorial. He always sat in the same section.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hathaway was at the UConn soccer game Saturday night and was introduced with the 2000 NCAA championship team at halftime
I booed as loud as I could and was surprised as to how few others did
That guy did UConn NO favors at all

Reaction Score
Hathaway was at the UConn soccer game Saturday night and was introduced with the 2000 NCAA championship team at halftime
I booed as loud as I could and was surprised as to how few others did
That guy did UConn NO favors at all
People don't get it - the guy was the iceberg to our Titanic.

Reaction Score
One other point about John Toner: He was UConn's football coach as well as A.D. in the late '60s through the early 70s & he was a conundrum. He realized in the early 70s that he couldn't hold both positions & relinquished the Head Football Coach position as he became more involved with NCAA politics. He was caught off guard when UMass bolted the YanCon for the Eastern-8 (now Atlantic-10) & caught lightning in a bottle when the Huskies were offered a spot in the Big East by his friend Dave Gavitt after Holy Cross declined the nomination.
As politically connected as he was on the NCAA landscape, he was virtually inept in the political landscape locally. He had plans for Gampel Pavillion on the blue print table for years before he could get the edifice built. It only got approved by the State Legislature after the plans were downsized from a multipurpose facility with a capacity of 10K for basketball & 7700 for hockey to a single use facility with a seating capacity of 8800 for basketball. This was partially due to State fiscal constraints & partially to ensure gates at the rebuilt Hartford Civic Center.
As a former Football player & coach, he MAY have wanted to elevate UConn Football incrementally to 1-A status, but he was involved in too many issues in both of his positions to focus on the upgrade.
Holy Cross turned down the Big East? Ouch!

Reaction Score
T
Tulane was in, and asked out of the SEC.
Tulane screwed itself moving from the SEC, but the mentality then was not dissimilar to ours… can’t compete. LSU, Miss, Ala. suck the oxygen out of recruiting. Tired of getting blown out. Stadium issues.. just use the superdome and save $$.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is a helpful exercise, but since we all agree PP was a horrible hire, who else was on that list and what became of them?

It seems like the best move would have been to stay in house with either a current or former coordinator and I don't mean Hank Hughes.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this is a helpful exercise, but since we all agree PP was a horrible hire, who else was on that list and what became of them?

It seems like the best move would have been to stay in house with either a current or former coordinator and I don't mean Hank Hughes.
I remember Cuse fans coming over here and warning us that PP would screw us up.

Reaction Score
T

Tulane screwed itself moving from the SEC, but the mentality then was not dissimilar to ours… can’t compete. LSU, Miss, Ala. suck the oxygen out of recruiting. Tired of getting blown out. Stadium issues.. just use the superdome and save $$.

At the time it decided to deemphasize FB Tulane had the biggest on campus stadium in the then Southern Conference. It seated over 80,000 and would reach close to 85,000 with standing room.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom