A Bench By Any Other Name | The Boneyard

A Bench By Any Other Name

Reaction Score
It seems that some amongst us have begun to attach faces to perceived bench shortcomings and become quite specific in detailing skill limitations… as the protective guardians that we are, we see such criticism as personal, unfair and worthy of a defense requiring offenders to be chastised for daring to put a name(s) to the proverbial elephant in the room: The UConn Bench…..

My fondness for UConn Women's Basketball goes back to the '80's either before Indoor Track & Field training or waiting for a developmental meet to start or finish so I do have an up close and personal appreciation for the oft breathtaking evolution of talent that has graced the UConn center court for more than four decades.

What started as a season filled with an unsubstantiated blend of hope and reality has grown into one beyond the wildest dreams of even the most diehard amongst us…pundits continually commented on the loss of arguably the three best players in the country and pointed to UConn’s lack of experience, lack of size, lack of proven scorers and void in leadership….the quick evolution of Kia, Gabby, Pheesha and Lou earned the nom de guerre, The Core Four, and were almost immediately put the off-limits in any benchspeak criticism and quieted some but not all the media references to a weak bench, thin bench, lack of depth and even no depth….apparently, Saniya’s steady and heady play would have to wait until well into January before commentators and reporters would take notice of her nation-best assist to turnover ratio….media and detractor fingers pointing toward UConn’s limited bench had only five team members to rest their case….Crystal’s stunning Baylor’s game performance bought her some scrutiny time as did her stress reaction and now, in Kia’s absence, she is showing herself to be a game and trusted factor….bench now down to four but references were still being made to UConn being vulnerable to injuries and foul trouble if they need to go to their bench….

The italicized words are not mine but taken from pressers, commentaries and articles regularly voiced by Geno, Lobo, Lawson, Mowins, Walters, Voepel, Burke, Bird, Crème, Culmo, Hays, Yu, Frede, Ward, Landers, the Courant, Register, ESPN, NY Times, and probably even a Boneyarder or three….

And then there were three.... granted, we've found ourselves cringing our way thru many a fourth quarter patiently hoping and hanging on for glimpses of what might have garnered the scholarship offers to every team member always applauding effort while hanging on patiently for any and every sign of growth and promise. Molly and Kyla were terrific high school players who played well under the recruiting services radar and surprised many, probably themselves included, when their UConn offer was accepted and announced. Visions of Kelly Farris 2.0 were attached perhaps initially by coach and then fostered by us. Not their call and certainly not their fault. Missed shots and turnovers have been quickly erased by a pretty assist, rebound, steal or post move….

Walk-ones hold special places in our collective heart; after all, anyone willing to make the commitment required by Geno and still pay their tuition will always get a pass. Even with her 2-year scholarship in-hand, T-Law's basketball skills will always be above reproach….

With apologies to Agatha Christie, And Then There Was One: Nat….Natalie Butler arrived as a much-heralded transfer from Georgetown; the Big East ROY....a 6'5" center who was penned not penciled in as a key contributor and likely starter before any of us had enough time to even YouTube her Georgetown freshman year. A Big Mama clone was being etched into our preseason forecasts and prognostications. Despite essential moments of key contributions, the enthusiasm for her presence on the court was more born out of trying to provide her teammates much needed rest or foul protection than for her to elevate her team's level of play. We are fortunate of those times when she was able to hold the fort and pleasantly appreciative when her level of play found double-digit points and rebounds which only whetted our appetite for her to contribute more consistently….Nat has always been a hard-worker but her recently displayed energy and willingness to become an offensive and defensive presence has not been lost on astute eyes and it’s refreshing to now hear commentators championing her contributions to this team that already has and continues to amaze everyone including the maestro himself….

While other programs regularly find constructive (or not) criticism being directed to their coaches and starters, this year's UConn team's target has a clear bull’s-eye painted on its reserves as if they are to blame for, God-forbid, whatever shortcoming could be attached to a 28-0 season start…

Core Four? Jive Five? Nice at the time but Dream Team is what has this tightly-bonded team of ten has evolved into and for that we should be eternally grateful…..thanks team!

Reaction Score
The best Bench I ever saw.

110849.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I vividly remember Johnny Bench as a rookie with the Reds in August 1967 (his MLB debut). I was a huge baseball fan (Dodgers) back then. I also remember the Catcher he replaced as the Reds everyday catcher the next year. Do you? (without looking it up) Here's a hint, he graduated from Ohio State. Bench was so impressive as a rookie, the Reds traded this guy to the Houston Astros later that year. All of the baseball pundits (sports writers,broadcasters, coaches and managers) labeled Bench a "can't miss" HOF back then. They didn't do that often for a youngster, but they were right on the money on that prediction.

Bench was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York, in 1989 alongside Carl Yastrzemski. He was elected in his first year of eligibility, and appeared on 96% of the ballots, the third-highest percentage at that time. Sorry for veering off topic, but Bench was one of my favorites. Vin Scully would constantly sign his praises during the radio broadcasts whenever they played the Dodgers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I vividly remember Johnny Bench as a rookie with the Reds in 1968. I was a huge baseball fan (Dodgers) back then. I also remember the Catcher he replaced as the Reds everyday catcher. Do you? (without looking it up) Here's a hint, he graduated from Ohio State. Bench was so impressive as a rookie, the Reds traded this guy to the Houston Astros later that year.

I can go you one better, Carnac....a Dodger fan like you I was at Bench's first pro game which was played at Hyde Park Stadium in Niagara Falls..."stadium" is a rather generous use of the word as it was a park that housed our Little League along side the Babe Ruth League diamond where Bench made his debut as a member of the AAA Buffalo Bisons the top Reds' farm club. War Memorial was the Bisons' home field but was located in the middle of the very sad city torching times of the mid to late 60's. Bench never got a chance to make it through the top of the 1st as he took a foul tip off his fingers and was done for the year. Flash forward one year later and in his very first at bat Bench launched a moonshot that probably has yet to come down and the rest is history. As an aside, the stadium which also was the site for high school football games and track meets was renamed Sal Maglie Stadium after "The Barber" retired from playing and coaching and returned to his native city.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The catcher than Bench replaced was Johnny Edwards.

upload_2017-2-27_14-17-29.jpeg

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Hey, I like Johnny Bench too, but feels like a GREAT post by divots is being ignored or hijacked........:eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom