A 99% Defense of Geno | The Boneyard

A 99% Defense of Geno

Reaction Score
I have rarely questioned Coach Auriemma- not his in-game strategy, his methods, recruiting... nothing. That's because he is THE greatest coach ever in WCBB, bar none. And who the heck am I? I may not understand every move he makes, but he knows his team, his players, and his opponents far better than I ever will, or anyone else, better than anyone.

HOWEVER... Having praised Caesar (not to bury, just to jab), I don't understand why he played his starters for all but 11 minutes of the St.John's game. It wasn't ND or Baylor. Yikes, it was St.John's.
For all intents and purposes an absolutely meaningless game. A loss might have even served as sanguine motivation moving forward. It's a long season, and as great as Lou and Phee are, they're virtual stringbeans who will need game rest to continue to perform at their AA best.

I know Coach has shown a predilection for exclusively playing a limited core group (with great success), but in terms of importance this game was little more than an exhibition/scrimmage. Resting starters, if for only 7,8 minutes, would seem advisable.

Nobody is perfect. Not even Coach. But there is no one better, so I'll defer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The game is played to win - with learning lessons available whether you’re ahead, behind, or struggling to stay even. And players need the chance (somewhat rare to UConn) to dig down and play through - finding out that they can draw up strength even when tired. Comes conference playoffs, they will already know they can go three straight days - survive and win.

Reaction Score
The game wasn't won till the last few minutes. SJ played like mad badgers. Resting the starters for 10 minutes or so would have likely cost the game. So - rest and lose or play and win. Seems like he made the right choice.
But if your agenda is to lose one purposely to give a little rest, then he made the wrong decision.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And 99% of the posters here constantly state that Geno can't coach in a close (or OT) game, so last night he tried to do that. Yet, he is now being damned for trying to win a close game and relying on his starters, 1 of which had 4 fouls and did not foul out and another with 3 who did not get her 4th.
I guess people on this forum just have to realize that Geno is constantly going to be damned for not using his bench and damned if he does use his bench in a blowout. Head bang

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have rarely questioned Coach Auriemma- not his in-game strategy, his methods, recruiting... nothing. That's because he is THE greatest coach ever in WCBB, bar none. And who the heck am I? I may not understand every move he makes, but he knows his team, his players, and his opponents far better than I ever will, or anyone else, better than anyone.

HOWEVER... Having praised Caesar (not to bury, just to jab), I don't understand why he played his starters for all but 11 minutes of the St.John's game. It wasn't ND or Baylor. Yikes, it was St.John's.
For all intents and purposes an absolutely meaningless game. A loss might have even served as sanguine motivation moving forward. It's a long season, and as great as Lou and Phee are, they're virtual stringbeans who will need game rest to continue to perform at their AA best.

I know Coach has shown a predilection for exclusively playing a limited core group (with great success), but in terms of importance this game was little more than an exhibition/scrimmage. Resting starters, if for only 7,8 minutes, would seem advisable.
Perfectly oK to question Geno recruiting, game strategy, etc. Geno is the best but not infallible. I would also question your basis for this specific criticism- Meaningless game? UCONN WBB has not had a single meaningless game for quite some time now. Every opponent treats UCONN as a National Championship game and brings their best. Those St. John's kids sure weren't playing like the game was meaningless.
You also don't have to lose a game to get "sanguine motivation" . UCONN WBB gains sanguine motivation from every missed assignment-this is what makes them unique.
BTW I'll take the UCONN pair of "stringbeans" over any other pair in WCBB.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
When people think of women's basketball dynasty's it will be UCONN and Tennessee. They are still very relevant powerhouses today. If UCONN slips for a season or two, it's not the end of the world. Geno and Pat will be legends always. Rockne and Bear are still revered and Geno and Pat are in the same league with what they did with WBB. The others in WBB are trying to be the next Saban in WBB...lol...The new power coach.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My guess is that the starters are getting a lot of minutes for a couple of reasons.

1. Early in the season and the coaches are looking to establish some cohesion with their core players.
2. Once you get past the starting 5 there's not much available.

Reaction Score
Perfectly oK to question Geno recruiting, game strategy, etc. Geno is the best but not infallible. I would also question your basis for this specific criticism- Meaningless game? UCONN WBB has not had a single meaningless game for quite some time now. Every opponent treats UCONN as a National Championship game and brings their best. Those St. John's kids sure weren't playing like the game was meaningless.
You also don't have to lose a game to get "sanguine motivation" . UCONN WBB gains sanguine motivation from every missed assignment-this is what makes them unique.
Very good points and I'll piggyback this with just a couple of my own. For this team, this season, there are no easy or meaningless games. They are razor thin and have zero margin of error. Regardless of what they're missing in size, depth, and experience, every kid is playing hard every minute they're on the floor. They'll probably lose a few this year but they won't physically give any away. As far as Auriemma, this is my opinion only. For all he says about losing a game here and there being a good thing etc......... he never wants to lose a game. He'll usually only say that when his team is really loaded and he knows there's only a tiny chance of that happening. That's how he verbally motivates his elite teams. This team needs all the confidence from winning it can get.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

I remember after last year’s loss a number of posts decrying that our players did not know how to win a tough game. Now we finally get a tough game where exhausted players have to dig down and Will themselves to a win and what happens. Geno gets ripped for giving them the opportunity to learn how to win.

My advice sit back, relax, and watch a classy team of gifted athletes play exquisite basketball. Realize the coaches have a plan and we aren’t in on it.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
My guess is that the starters are getting a lot of minutes for a couple of reasons.

1. Early in the season and the coaches are looking to establish some cohesion with their core players.

2. Once you get past the starting 5 there's not much available.

3. Geno tries to substitute players in a manner that positions them for success...Notice how Kyla stayed on the bench...She is just not quick enough to defend St. John’s players...

4. He went to a 3 guard lineup for a stint, went to bigger lineup with Touly, tried several combinations...

5. Megan is the key to this years success...She needs to make a big impact in every game...She doesn’t realize that it is all on her yet...She Has taken huge strides from last year...But needs to draw significant attention on offense consistently to free up Phessa and Lou, while also needing to be a rebounding and defensive machine...

6. The Whole Team is working their tails off...Appreciate each of them for that, I am very proud of them and as Shea said in her interview this preseason, everyone is coming at their necks because they are perceived as vulnerable this year...they don’t have a fully developed bench yet...just as last year...they only have each other...I still have lots of belief in each of them the season is early...This team will find its way...

Reaction Score
Seriously? What? Are you kidding? What cook would reach into his box of knives and pull out a dull one when he has some shiny sharp ones to use?

Reaction Score

You have every right to opine and question any coach’s decisions, but you might consider that what you characterize as a meaningless game won’t have that same connotation from the press, fans, and your own players if you lose it. That fact is certainly true at UConn, but is the same from the D-1 level all the way down to high school games, and at all those levels team members know what players give the team the best chance to win, and expect them to be in game as long as it is in doubt. As for motivation, if it takes a loss to motivate your squad, you’re not going to have a great team anyway. If motivation, reinforcing what the culture of the program is, or the work ethic that is accepted by the staff is having to come from the coaches, again, you won’t have a very good season. If those things are player directed by the upperclassmen, now you have a chance to be successful- how successful will be determined by your talent level and how well you can coach them up. JMO

Reaction Score
Great points Coco and why waste a great opportunity to see how your core respond to a tough situation.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Seriously? What? Are you kidding? What cook would reach into his box of knives and pull out a dull one when he has some shiny sharp ones to use?

Unless the sharp ones get dull from over use or get nicked up. ;)

Actually I am more in agreement than my one liner indicates but I like the knife analogy. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One more reason why every game this season is so important. UConn has 3 brutal road games vs ND, Baylor and Louisville. They could lose all 3. Add in a couple losses to unranked teams and UConn could lose control of their destiny, specifically the #1 seed in the Albany Region.

For UConn to win their 12th national championship this year a lot of things are going to have to fall into place. The last thing UConn wants is to go on the road for the Regionals to face a ND, MS St, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom