UConn 77 UVA 36 (1993) | The Boneyard

UConn 77 UVA 36 (1993)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Thanks to www.uconnhuskygames.com, I was able to watch, for the first time since it originally aired, our pummeling of the Cavaliers.

My bullet-point notes:

*It was the second game of the season (UConn had trounced Towson in Game 1), and I believe neither UConn nor UVA were ranked. The UConn team had Donyell, Donny, Travis, KO, Fair, Kirk, Hayward, Sheffer and some freshman named Ray Allen. At the time, November 1993, a number of those players were question marks and/or freshmen. Of course we all know how that season ended, but let's ignore that.

*The game was an epic blowout right from the get-go (kind of like the 32-9 UMass game or the 40-15 Pitt game without the bad parts), even though Donyell had a relatively quiet game.

*The UVA crowd was, amazingly, energetic throughout the game, cheering wildly whenever one of their players hit a shot to cut UConn's lead from, say, 38 to 36. They didn't start exiting until there were a couple minutes left. And they were never in it. I think it was 55-16 at one point, later 66-22.

*Watching Donyell play for UConn, it's hard to believe that he turned to be only a serviceable NBA player.

*The best player on the floor was Ray. Picozzi and Perry were surprised at how good the freshman looked. (They kept calling him a "slasher," as opposed to a shooter.) But with 20/20 hindsight, he looked like Ray. He even finished through contact after hanging in the air, similar to his winning shot vs Georgetown two and a half years later.

*Everybody played well. Everyone. Boo had an and-1. Rudy had one that was waved off, in a bad call.

*We had a third-string PG named Marcus Thomas, who I don't remember at all.

*Because our third-string PG was a guy who isn't very memorable, Calhoun played Sheffer with two fouls in the first half, to give KO a breather.

*KO was the player of the game, finishing with 16 points and 6 dimes. Most of the points were scored early, a la Ricky vs Duke.

*John Havlicek's son, Chris, played for UVA. UVA's other notable players were Corey Alexander (who injured his ankle early on, and didn't return, although I don't think it would have changed anything), Harold Deane and Junior Burrough.

*By winning the game, Calhoun moved within 5 games of tying Dom Perno for #2 on the all-time UConn wins list (#1 was Hugh Greer)

I chose this game to view first because I've always fondly remembered it, but had never re-watched it after watching it live (with the sound off) at a high school team party.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
This is from a 20 year memory of that game - I will watch it again later tonight - but Ray Allen didn't seem to hit iron. Every shot was pure - even put backs around the hole.

Reaction Score
I take umbrage with calling Donyell 'only a serviceable NBA player.' Yeah, he wasn't Chris Webber or Kevin Garnett, but he matches up really well with guys like Lamar Odom, Danny Manning, Laettner, Gugliotta, Thurl Bailey, etc.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I take umbrage with calling Donyell 'only a serviceable NBA player.' Yeah, he wasn't Chris Webber or Kevin Garnett, but he matches up really well with guys like Lamar Odom, Danny Manning, Laettner, Gugliotta, Thurl Bailey, etc.

Umbrage? Ha. Yeah, I almost edited it to "good." The point remains. The guy was a perfect college player.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Wasn't UVa top ten prior to that game? It was their first game and the polls were out of whack. I remember that because someone asked JC how it felt to beat such a highly ranked team and he replied, "I didn't rank them that high" or something to that effect.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Wasn't UVa top ten prior to that game? It was their first game and the polls were out of whack. I remember that because someone asked JC how it felt to beat such a highly ranked team and he replied, "I didn't rank them that high" or something to that effect.

The graphics didn't say that, but you may be right. UVA was coming off, I think a Sweet 16 appearance, and returned 4 starters. UConn was coming off an NIT season.

Looking at that UConn roster, and watching the game, it was funny when Picozzi said something like, "Well, after this game, UConn will probably crack the Top 25."

Reaction Score
Thanks to www.uconnhuskygames.com, I was able to watch, for the first time since it originally aired, our pummeling of the Cavaliers.

My bullet-point notes:

*It was the second game of the season (UConn had trounced Towson in Game 1), and I believe neither UConn nor UVA were ranked.

UVA was ranked 10th.

Cory Alexander's injury was a season-ending one, so unfortunately, what looked like a season of promise ended up a long one for UVA fans.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Donyell & Ray were both ahead of their time, re: NBA skills/value. With the understanding of pace & space both would have 20% better careers now than they actually did - and I don't mean that as a slight to either.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'd completely forgotten about Marcus Thomas until Marcus Williams joined the team. I was wondering why a freshman point guard wearing #5 looked so familiar and then the memory of Thomas came back.

Reaction Score
Was a freshman at UVA then and sat right under the basket. Only Uconn fan at the game that I know of. UVA my second favorite team of course and was pulling all the way for the huskies during that massacre..

Reaction Score
I would say Donyell had a VG NBA career. 15 years, 10k+ points, 6k+ boards. Ave. DD points for career. I still thinks he holds the most three's in a game with 12. One problem was that he played on a lot of bad teams only making the playoffs 5 times in 15 years. He also made a ton of money!

Reaction Score
mcs333 said:
I would say Donyell had a VG NBA career. 15 years, 10k+ points, 6k+ boards. Ave. DD points for career. I still thinks he holds the most three's in a game with 12. One problem was that he played on a lot of bad teams only making the playoffs 5 times in 15 years. He also made a ton of money!

He was an NBA tweener in his era (he'd be ideal as a floor spacer now that the best "4s" aren't physical beasts in the low post). He got off to a slow start and got labeled a bust, but broke through a few years into his career. He was very good a couple seasons in Utah - he was considered by some to be an All-Star snub one year. His numbers didn't necessarily jump out at you (15+9 or so), but he was a key cog on one of the top teams in the West. By the time his career wound down, he was a stand in the corner and shoot threes guy and didn't rebound as well as he did in his prime, so his career numbers tailed off a bit.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Was a freshman at UVA then and sat right under the basket. Only Uconn fan at the game that I know of. UVA my second favorite team of course and was pulling all the way for the huskies during that massacre..

There were a few others. There was a couple with a baby, all dressed in Husky gear -- I wondered whether the kid ended up going to UConn.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If you have over 2,000 posts on this site and haven't completed your UCHG report by the end of the summer ala @nomar (who has now set the bar) you will have most certainly upset the mojo gods.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
alexd. said:
Sheffer threw a 40+ foot alley oop to Walter Ray. Amazing.

This was my sophomore year at UConn. What a game. I just started watching this again tonight because of this play. It was actually our coach that threw the alley oop. KO barely stepped over half court before making a perfect pass to Allen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom