OT: - 90-minute "Which iPhone should I get?" thread | The Boneyard

OT: 90-minute "Which iPhone should I get?" thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I currently have an iPhone 6, which I purchased new in 2014 and have used since.

My prior phone was a BlackBerry--I tend to use things until they die.

I am going to the Verizon store this afternoon to replace my iPhone and am looking for input on which one I should get.

Work pays for it, but I don't need to overspend on features I don't need; on the other hand, I use things for a long time so I want to make sure I am getting the latest technology, etc. so I can use the phone for another five-plus years before replacing again.

I already have a large iPod Pro, so that may reduce my need for a bigger iPhone; but my vision is not great and my hands are large (and I still hate typing on an iPhone), so I don't want it too small, either.

TIA

Reaction Score
If you like taking pictures, you should wait for iPhone 12. It is within same price range as iPhone 11, but will have much better camera.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Short answer is... you can’t really go wrong. If you go to the store and see which one feels good in your hand and meets your price point... you’ll be in good shape.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you like taking pictures, you should wait for iPhone 12. It is within same price range as iPhone 11, but will have much better camera.
Short answer is... you can’t really go wrong. If you go to the store and see which one feels good in your hand and meets your price point... you’ll be in good shape.
It does seem like the 12 is going to be a major redesign and a new ios so I am now thinking about holding off until the fall if I can.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If you hang on to your current phone a little longer... that works too because you’ll get a good deal on the current iPhone lineup. No wrong answer, you’ll end up with a phone that will be way better than your 6 and last you for years. New iPhones typically hit around October.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have the 11promax after years of dawdling with lesser models. Wanted the best camera to capture pictures of my newborn daughter. No regrets. Never seen a camera phone that can actually take a picture of a sunset
12EE32C3-4F75-4761-8F11-372544B73D93.jpeg

Reaction Score
You almost never get a deal on smartphones anymore. I remember paying 300 bucks for the iPhone6 and it served me well for over 4 years. Just got the 11 because I felt it was time to upgrade. At the end of the day, the newer ones are great but all expensive.

Reaction Score
You could get an XR for 99 bucks and think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. And have that hold you for 2 years when 5G would actually make a difference for you.
Where can u get an XR for $99?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
4Gs is plenty of Gs and will be around for quite a long time... longer than the lifetime of your phone. Benefits of 5G are... questionable/middling at best right now. Even over time there isn’t much to suggest it will be dramatically better than 4G. I think 5G is more “nice to have” than anything, even for a phone you want to hang on to for 5 years.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
4Gs is plenty of Gs and will be around for quite a long time... longer than the lifetime of your phone. Benefits of 5G are... questionable/middling at best right now. Even over time there isn’t much to suggest it will be dramatically better than 4G. I think 5G is more “nice to have” than anything, even for a phone you want to hang on to for 5 years.
Not to mention area roll out

Reaction Score
I just purchased an 11 because I gambled and switched carriers to Altice. I'm paying less than $40 bucks for unlimited and phone ( $699 3yr no interest- not a lease). Some time unlimited will go from $20 to $30/ month but still much less than what I was paying. Service has been fine so far as they use ATT.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
I just got the SE. it’s fast, small and still has the finger print reader which is nice since masks aren’t going away any time soon!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Full disclosure: I plan to upgrade from XS to the 12 later this fall, but only because I’m a who-ore for new technology. My XS is perfectly fine.

Reaction Score
I just got the Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus(5G) a couple weeks ago to replace my S9 Plus. Nice phone. Pretty similar to the 9 Plus, just a little better. Can't go wrong with the Newest Apple or Android. Depends on what kind of other electronics you own. A lot of my stuff is Google/Android so just makes it easier having a phone that syncs with everything. I have never been a huge Apple fan but agknowledge I'm in the minority there.

Reaction Score
Just checked out the samsung site to see what they have...they have FOLDING phones...anyone have one? Any feedback?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Youre overthinking this.

1) Why didnt you text me?
2) @CTMike has the right of it.
3) What's your price point?
4) I wouldnt sweat 5G yet. Youve been living on a 6

You could get an XR for 99 bucks and think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. And have that hold you for 2 years when 5G would actually make a difference for you.

You care about camera?

XR
X
XS

tn that order from least to greatest will ALL be light years ahead of what youre used to camera wise.

@August_West is spot on here. I'm waiting for the 12 for my wife, but she has an 8 Plus, not a 6. We got an 11 for my daughter this summer.

I bought a refurbed XS last year. Love it. There are some good deals on the older phones and yours is so old that it will be a huge upgrade in every respect. But don't get a phone like that at Verizon. Go on Swappa or another site and get a used or refurbed phone. If you want to buy at Verizon the 11 is the way to go.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I expect 5G to be hugely important, but not for phones. It should replace home internet for some people, and will allow other devices to do more. Self driving cars for example will really benefit from 5G. But for a phone?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This thread made me curious about replacing my 6. Verizon seems like it has a pretty decent deal going now:
1595341418021.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom