9 points, 4 assists | The Boneyard

9 points, 4 assists

Reaction Score
Well it appears the board is back to thinking Hurley can’t coach offense and it’s costing us games. It’s weird because a week ago I was told Luke Murray fixed the offense and I was making a mistake thinking this was like last years team. Oh well.

Anyway, 9 pts, 4 assists. That’s the entire offensive stat line for our junior class in the last 2 games combined, and in one of those games we scored 115 freaking points.

And to me that is the actual offensive issue. Our success over the last 40 years has always been driven by juniors and seniors. This team doesn’t have 1 player in those classes with high level offensive skills.

I love all the seniors and super seniors, but offensively they are each flawed players, which isn’t too surprising given that they are all 3 stars recruits or mid major transfers. It‘s just brutal to be be getting almost nothing from the junior class, the first one with real legit talent.

Should be an interesting season, because in spite of this we still would have won if we had eliminated just a few of what seemed like a million self inflicted mistakes. I don’t know if we have the abilty to eliminate them, because it’s a lot of the same stuff from last year, but it will be fun to find out. This is a super likable team.

Reaction Score
Well it appears the board is back to thinking Hurley can’t coach offense and it’s costing us games. It’s weird because a week ago I was told Luke Murray fixed the offense and I was making a mistake thinking this was like last years team. Oh well.

Anyway, 9 pts, 4 assists. That’s the entire offensive stat line for our junior class in the last 2 games combined, and in one of those games we scored 115 freaking points.

And to me that is the actual offensive issue. Our success over the last 40 years has always been driven by juniors and seniors. This team doesn’t have 1 player in those classes with high level offensive skills.

I love all the seniors and super seniors, but offensively they are each flawed players, which isn’t too surprising given that they are all 3 stars recruits or mid major transfers. It‘s just brutal to be be getting almost nothing from the junior class, the first one with real legit talent.

Should be an interesting season, because in spite of this we still would have won if we had eliminated just a few of what seemed like a million self inflicted mistakes. I don’t know if we have the abilty to eliminate them, because it’s a lot of the same stuff from last year, but it will be fun to find out. This is a super likable team.

Our offense is better, faster. Looks more well-rounded. That's the big step we seem to have taken this year. Akok/Jackson/Whaley just don't bring any offense... can't change that. And I can't imagine coach WANTS Sanogo to refuse to pass and brick crappy 12 foot jump hooks.

Late game management is the glaring problem and has been for a while.

Reaction Score
We are fine. We played an intense 2OT game less than 24 hours prior and had to turn around and play what is now the #2 defensive team in the country down a key player. In it right until the end. Obviously, we have things to work on at the coaching level as well as player level but if they don't call that foul on RJ I think we win - and that's super impressive. I'm bullish on this team.

Reaction Score
I agree with OP though, I have always felt this way about the juniors/seniors. Once we have a full season of Hurley recruits, things will definitely be different.

I’m still stuck on the fact that Hurley makes some head scratching decisions and it’s really bothering me. I’m having a hard time getting over the fact that he didn’t put Hawkins in the game after the timeout with under 25 seconds left when we needed a 3 to tie. He had a lineup that had literally one good 3 point shooter in Polley, one decent in Gaffney but he was the pg at the time of this possession, and Martin who had been ice cold thus far, and then Sanogo, Jackson.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Our offense is better, faster. Looks more well-rounded. That's the big step we seem to have taken this year. Akok/Jackson/Whaley just don't bring any offense... can't change that. And I can't imagine coach WANTS Sanogo to refuse to pass and brick crappy 12 foot jump hooks.

A big part of that late game management is the lack of any player who can just take their man and beat him to the basket. Against higher level clubs one of the reasons UConn has struggled at the start and at the end of games is when the opponent is hyper focused, UConn has problems with being able to break down a defender.

during the middle 25-30 minutes of the game where it's just ebb and flow UConn does much better running its stuff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

“Wants” is too much word (especially all in caps ;)) but it wouldn’t surprise me if Hurley told Adama to aggressively go to the hoop when the ball comes into him. The team has some offensive challenges and Adama has been a consistent source of points for us. Does that mean that Hurley is looking for him to go three on one 12 feet from the basket? Absolutely not, but we are less than a half dozen games into our season. Hurley will fine-tune that message going over game film. I don’t think Adama is being selfish, he is just a sophomore without a ton of basketball experience who is still learning went to go and went to dish. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
“Wants” is too much word (especially all in caps ;)) but it wouldn’t surprise me if Hurley told Adama to aggressively go to the hoop when the ball comes into him. The team has some offensive challenges and Adama has been a consistent source of points for us. Does that mean that Hurley is looking for him to go three on one 12 feet from the basket? Absolutely not, but we are less than a half dozen games into our season. Hurley will fine-tune that message going over game film. I don’t think Adama is being selfish, he is just a sophomore without a ton of basketball experience who is still learning went to go and went to dish. Just my opinion.

He doesn't strike me as a selfish kid. He just doesn't know how to pass, or isn't getting that message yet. He'll come around. He's lightyears better than a year ago--I expect he'll keep improving.

Reaction Score
Adama is a freaking alpha. He wants to score 30 every game. He wants to play every minute. He wants to bully anyone that dares to guard him and if there’s a loose ball he’s ripping it out of someone’s hands. I love it. But he also needs to learn when to pass. He does such a great job of getting position..that on the times where he catches it further away from the hoop than normal, he needs to pass it out. I think he will figure it out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom