887 | The Boneyard

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Interesting, even astounding number. Found in an article on yesterday's game on SNY.

Dangerfield leads UConn back to winner's circle

Nice write up. A couple of different quotes.

Oh, the number 887?

" The Huskies, with their 22nd consecutive season-opening win, have now gone 887 games without back-to-back losses and are 58-0 following a loss since the start of the 1993-94 season.

"I don't have the answer to some of this stuff why we do what we do, why things that have happened happen," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "We try to show up and play. It was a long time ago, that last game. But even when we lose during the season and we have a game coming up we're pretty good at putting that last game behind us and moving on to the next thing. We try not to carry anything with us. That's a big part of it. We have guys who like to win. And when we lose, they don't take it very well."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
" The Huskies, with their 22nd consecutive season-opening win, have now gone 887 games without back-to-back losses and are 58-0 following a loss since the start of the 1993-94 season.
I'm assuming here, but that 58 might be a much more significant number than 887. That means UCONN has only lost 58 games since 93-94?? :eek:

Reaction Score
Interesting, even astounding number. Found in an article on yesterday's game on SNY.

Dangerfield leads UConn back to winner's circle

Nice write up. A couple of different quotes.

Oh, the number 887?

"I don't have the answer to some of this stuff why we do what we do, why things that have happened happen," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "We try to show up and play. It was a long time ago, that last game. But even when we lose during the season and we have a game coming up we're pretty good at putting that last game behind us and moving on to the next thing. We try not to carry anything with us. That's a big part of it. We have guys who like to win. And when we lose, they don't take it very well."
\

Who was it, Lombardi? that said: Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Uconn from top to bottom, including fans, does not take to losing well. Geno with all his talk about the April not-win as good for Uconn and good for WBB; was just blowing ton's of pure obscuring smoke. He never, at least at Uconn, has accepted losing gracefully--he said he expected the loss--I'd like to know which game he went into knowing he'd lose. That's not in his DNA.. Most people who know say: The players reflect the mental state and toughness of their coach--Geno shows TOUGH/swagger. You can take the guy out of Philly but you can't take Philly out of the guy (yea he lived close enough to be called Philly)

Reaction Score
That's over two losses a year. Inexcusable.
No wonder everyone here is so glum. Somewhere north of 2 losses every year? I realize that's just an average and that sometimes is less than 2 but that just means that some seasons have been 3 or ... (I'm not sure I can even utter the words) more than 3 losses. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!

I'm going back to bed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm assuming here, but that 58 might be a much more significant number than 887. That means UCONN has only lost 58 games since 93-94?? :eek:
Yup - that is always the number that strikes me the most 24 years with only 58 losses total. And if you realize the dark ages after DT graduated (3 years 17 total losses) 1998-99 when Sue went down, and 2011-12 the year after Maya ( five loss years) that leaves 19 years with 31 losses.

In total Geno's win percentage from 1993-4 to date is .935

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yup - that is always the number that strikes me the most 24 years with only 58 losses total. And if you realize the dark ages after DT graduated (3 years 17 total losses) 1998-99 when Sue went down, and 2011-12 the year after Maya ( five loss years) that leaves 19 years with 31 losses.

In total Geno's win percentage from 1993-4 to date is .935
Totally unacceptable!

Reaction Score
No wonder everyone here is so glum. Somewhere north of 2 losses every year? I realize that's just an average and that sometimes is less than 2 but that just means that some seasons have been 3 or ... (I'm not sure I can even utter the words) more than 3 losses. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!

I'm going back to bed.
Stewie's freshman year we went 35 and 4

Reaction Score
Barring major injuries, sometime in late March 2020 that will almost certainly become 1,000 games without losing 2 in a row.

Reaction Score
Didn't TN win a NC while losing 10 games one year? I forget the year but I remember the stat.

Reaction Score
Didn't TN win a NC while losing 10 games one year? I forget the year but I remember the stat.
I don't remember the year either but it was the year they lost their point guard for a long stretch with a broken something in her hand and she came back just in time for the tourney...and to beat UConn in the regional finals. Then again, I could be totally wrong. Of course I've been so short on actual specifics it would be difficult to be totally wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't remember the year either but it was the year they lost their point guard for a long stretch with a broken something in her hand and she came back just in time for the tourney...and to beat UConn in the regional finals. Then again, I could be totally wrong. Of course I've been so short on actual specifics it would be difficult to be totally wrong.
It was 1997.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I still have nightmares of '04-'05 when they lost... 8 games!:eek:
if-you-dont-remember-then-it-never-happened.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads