#8 Texas A&M @ #13 Arkansas - 1/10/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#8 Texas A&M @ #13 Arkansas - 1/10/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
As I watch this game down the crunch, I am reminded how Rueck would take Slocum out down the stretch because his view of her poor defense whereas her offense is elite given the assists, driving and shooting she offers. No wonder she left.
While she is playing better as a point for Arkansas than she ever did for Oregon St. Her offense is not always elite. Beside her defense has gotten much better since her first year with Oregon St. It was pretty bad. Oh by the way it was Slocum who let her man drive around her for the winning uncontested lay up. While not as bad as she was two seasons ago, she is still not a good on the ball defender.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While she is playing better as a point for Arkansas than she ever did for Oregon St. Her offense is not always elite. Beside her defense has gotten much better since her first year with Oregon St. It was pretty bad. Oh by the way it was Slocum who let her man drive around her for the winning uncontested lay up. While not as bad as she was two seasons ago, she is still not a good on the ball defender.
I think you need to relook at her OSU stats again especially in light of how few possessions Scott has his team run. When you look at her assists vs. the rest of the team, and her low turnovers vs. everyone else, I would argue she was pretty good there as well.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Big win for A&M. They're super dangerous due to the number of players who can go off on any given night. Wilson/Dixon/Wells can light it up and their bigs inside are fantastic rebounder and can score too. Not to mention Pitts and if they can get Morris/Green going. They don't have a Howard/Boston type of go to player but they're really solid in all areas.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
What a bizarre season in the SEC. Arkansas loses by 11 to Kentucky, then 15 to Tennessee and takes A&M to the wire without Ramirez. Kentucky loses to DePaul, gets blown out by A&M and plays South Carolina tough. Tennessee beats Arky and Indiana and almost loses to LSU.

And I miss Eric Frede doing UConn games.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Big win for A&M. They're super dangerous due to the number of players who can go off on any given night. Wilson/Dixon/Wells can light it up and their bigs inside are fantastic rebounder and can score too. Not to mention Pitts and if they can get Morris/Green going. They don't have a Howard/Boston type of go to player but they're really solid in all areas.

Shame that TAMU and Lower Carolina only meet once this season... just like NC State and Louisville.

Reaction Score
I think you need to relook at her OSU stats again especially in light of how few possessions Scott has his team run. When you look at her assists vs. the rest of the team, and her low turnovers vs. everyone else, I would argue she was pretty good there as well.
Remember I was not commenting on Destinys offensive game but her defense. Expecially since you criticized Scott for taking her out at the end of games for defensive purposes. Its all about trade offs and in her first season for Oregon St her offense in some games did not often compensate enough for her defensive liability at the close of games. Often the teams ball movement was better with her off the court t Not every game but sometimes she would not run the offense like Scott wanted and especially when her shot was off her minus's out weighed her pluses. Her on ball defense got considerable better this last year. She used to have a habit of bouncing around and offensive players would catch her off on the bounce so to speak. I thought she played a pretty good game against TA&M but perhaps the coach should have put in a better on ball defender for that last play. Her short stride and lack of length become a liability on plays like that. I believe the A&M coach might have targeted her for that very reason.

Other than her limited defense, I never criticized Slocums abilities. She can play really well when she choses too. I don't even begrug her her one on one offense if it is done at the right time. You could see how she can create her own shot using screens. That is how she sets up her drives. The problem I always had is that she often uses so much time setting her self up for drives and shots that it hinders ball movement. That really as magnified last season because Pivec plays the same style. They both prefer to create off the dribble for themselves. Between the two of them they dominated time of possession and there was very little ball movement setting up any open shooters except for last second shots which affects the 3 point percentages. With Arkansas that is not a problem because all their players set themselve up and ironically in that system Slocum plays more like a point. I believe with out Pivec on the floor with her Slocum would have been able to play the same type of game she is playing with Arkansas and even gotting to handle the ball more. Often players do not realize what system will be more advantagious to them for the next level.

Ironically she might actually be learning a lesson playing for Arkansas as well. In the Tenn game she was hot from 3, but dispite that on one play she was all by herself in one courner with no one within 10 feet. She jusmped up and down waving her arms frantically for at least ten seconds while the ball handler dribbled oblivious the entire time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Somewhere, @Dillon77 is shaking his head in dismay...as Nixon hits a go ahead basket with .4 seconds left and A&M with the lead...

Luckily, I was returning from NYC and totally missed this game. (Ignorance is bliss. ??) Hmm, considering Jordan is a Harlem resident and I was in/on nearby Morningside Heights, maybe I did feel a vibe or two....;)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom