8 is enough! | The Boneyard

8 is enough!

Reaction Score
Geno said the ideal number of players to use on a regular basis is 8. No problem this year, it is somewhere between 5 and 7, but what about next year? I would think there are 6 (four returning starters, Crystal Dangerfield and Z who will be the best college player in the country next year according to Doris Burke). Who would be the other two? What will Batouly bring? How fast will Megatron develop? Will any other freshmen step up and get significant game minutes? Butler is solid, what will be her role? Kyla has shown progress as a freshman, will she have the big sophomore jump? Molly's playing time has decreased as the season has progressed, she may be needed for depth at guard. So who will be the eight for regular game minutes or will there be more than 8?

Reaction Score
Geno loves Batuly and Walker is not coming here to be a bench player. It would be the upset of the century if they were not seven and eight. The six remaining will need to be trimmed to five, either through misfortune(injury), transfer, or the red shirting of one of the Freshmen. 8 and 5 is possible; 8 and 6 creates great unhappiness in the fourth quarter for all six.

Reaction Score
Geno loves Batuly and Walker is not coming here to be a bench player. It would be the upset of the century if they were not seven and eight. The six remaining will need to be trimmed to five, either through misfortune(injury), transfer, or the red shirting of one of the Freshmen. 8 and 5 is possible; 8 and 6 creates great unhappiness in the fourth quarter for all six.
Does that mean that Gabby will be a guard next year, otherwise only two guards?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm confident that Geno & his staff will figure out the optimal rotation regardless of the number of players that will be part of it.

What interests me is the intense competition that's going to take place every day at practice as 14 talented players fight for playing time.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield
Nurse
Lou
Gabby
Collier

Walker
Stevens

It will be at least 7.

Batouly or Butler may get some minutes at the 4/5. Bent may get a minute or two at the 1/2.

It won't be much more than that though, unless one of the other freshmen is ready right away.

Reaction Score
Everyone raves about Z. Do we really know what the Bat can do? Just asking.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Everyone raves about Z. Do we really know what the Bat can do? Just asking.
As a freshman, by the 2nd half of the season Batouly had established herself in the regular rotation at KY. She led the team in rebounds and was a double-digit scorer in several games. On film that I've seen, she is a physical defender with a nice jump shot from 15-20 ft and the ability to drive to the basket. Her best game was against SC in Columbia where she battled Coates & Wilson.

She should be a solid player for UConn coming off the bench at the 4 or 5 spot.

Also should point out that UConn looked at Batouly in HS but decided to back off when they secured commitments from Lou, Pheesa & Boykin, so in one sense Batouly is a replacement for Boykin.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno said the ideal number of players to use on a regular basis is 8. No problem this year, it is somewhere between 5 and 7, but what about next year? I would think there are 6 (four returning starters, Crystal Dangerfield and Z who will be the best college player in the country next year according to Doris Burke). Who would be the other two? What will Batouly bring? How fast will Megatron develop? Will any other freshmen step up and get significant game minutes? Butler is solid, what will be her role? Kyla has shown progress as a freshman, will she have the big sophomore jump? Molly's playing time has decreased as the season has progressed, she may be needed for depth at guard. So who will be the eight for regular game minutes or will there be more than 8?

This year was supposed to be THE year that UConn fell back to the rest of he pack...........................well, that didn't happen. Quite the opposite. They simply picked up where the 2015-2016 team left off.
I commented during the summer that given his roster for this season, Geno would have to do one of the best coaching jobs of his career. So far, he's done it. None of us saw this coming. Monday night, after the game was the first time all year I breathed a sigh of relief. I don't expect to have occasion to do that next season. UConn was very formidable THIS year. They'll be even harder to beat next year.

Next year will be the exact opposite of this one. UConn will enjoy an embarrassment of riches. Two transfers that will be ready to compete the first game of the year. Four highly touted, and high talented freshmen ALL of whom can play. Geno had better be good at math, cause he's going to have to figure out some equations. How to spread out the allotted game minutes to 14 players
(the 8 returning players from this roster (Chong & Lawlor graduate) +2 transfers +4 incoming freshmen = 14) The w-i-d-e gap between UConn and the rest of WCBB will return next season.
I wonder if Geno still needs those 5 cell phones he said he needed last year to answer all the calls from other teams wanting to play UConn THIS year?

Warning - Next year's team will be fun to watch. There will be a lot of wailing & gnashing of teeth (by their opponents). You've been warned. :)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Stevens is not coming off the bench.

I think the returning starters all start as well, although the starting 5 for next year has been the subject of debate on numerous prior threads and will be the subject of debate on many future threads. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Walker has been quoted (sorry I do not have the source) that she does not expect to start Frosh year. She is humble and proud to become a Husky. Very heads up and conscious to acknowledge the process of earning her spot.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As a primitive rough exercise to allocate 200 player minutes without attempt to design a rotation (That's what coaches are paid to do)

Players / minutes

Starters

Nurse / 20
Lou /25
Gabby /25
Collier /25
Stevens /25

Backups

Dangerfield / 20
Walker /15
Batouly /15
Butler/ 10

Bench Players (fluctuations based on practice competition)

Bent / 2-6
Irwin / 2-6
Espinoza-Hunter / 2-6
Coombs / 2-6
Gordon / 2-6

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Walker has been quoted (sorry I do not have the source) that she does not expect to start Frosh year. She is humble and proud to become a Husky. Very heads up and conscious to acknowledge the process of earning her spot.
While I appreciate her quote, Walker is a tremendous competitor who will eventually be a dominant player in WBB. She may not start next year, but she will certainly play significant minutes.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield
Nurse
Lou
Gabby
Collier

Walker
Stevens

It will be at least 7.

Batouly or Butler may get some minutes at the 4/5. Bent may get a minute or two at the 1/2.

It won't be much more than that though, unless one of the other freshmen is ready right away.
Interesting but here is my take on the starting 5....
Nurse (guard - primary ball handler)
KLS (slide over to the 2 guard)
Gabby (stays at SF - same role as now)
Pheesa (PF)
Z (@ 5 or the Centre position - but with lots of flexibility ala Stewie?)...

....backups....

Dangerfield - first off the bench for Nurse - her main competition may be Molly or AEH - not too sure about AEH ball handling - similar to Saniya?)
Walker - first off the bench for KLS or Gabby - her main competition will be Coombs - slasher, athletic type wing)
Batouly - first off the bench for Pheesa - similar height and body type, strong rebounder from her KY days - her main competition may be Alexis Gordon or Kyla
Butler will back up Z - but mainly when bangers are needed.

Nurse - 1
KLS - 2
Gabby - 3
Pheesa - 4
Z - 5

Follow by...
Dangerfield - 1
Walker - 2/3
Batouly - 4

Reaction Score
Dangerfield
Nurse
Lou
Gabby
Collier

Walker
Stevens

It will be at least 7.
Thinking the same thing. Crystal Dangerfield was the #2 recruit in the country. She will make a sophomore leap and it will be like Mo's sophomore year where she had a season to run alongside Bria. I just don't see keeping the #2 recruit on the bench for the #23 recruit who has at most two years to play at UConn. If Geno was so enamored with size in the starting line up, he could just start Butler.

Reaction Score
Soooooo much can happen before next season. Will Nat stay for another year or go since she is academically a senior? Will any of the current bench transfer to somewhere they can play more? Many of the girls will be playing on high level teams all summer (right??)... possible injuries (please God no)... it will be an embarrassment of riches, but so much could happen before the first night!! I am looking forward to 17/18, but let's get this one done and let Geno and CD figure out the rest.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Dangerfield
Nurse
Lou
Gabby
Collier

Walker
Stevens
. . . .

I tentatively concur, with Stevens first off the bench. I think she'll make a great 6th man since she can play 2-4 or 5. But it will depend on Crystal's level of effort, especially on defense. Chong had moments of greatness freshman year, started three games her sophomore year, then wound up in the chateau du bow-wow. If Z starts, it will be interesting having basically one guard and three wings starting.

Reaction Score
It probably won't matter who starts, since there are 6 players worthy of starting, each of whom will play >30 mpg in any meaningful game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thinking the same thing. Crystal Dangerfield was the #2 recruit in the country. She will make a sophomore leap and it will be like Mo's sophomore year where she had a season to run alongside Bria. I just don't see keeping the #2 recruit on the bench for the #23 recruit who has at most two years to play at UConn. If Geno was so enamored with size in the starting line up, he could just start Butler.
Not sure where everyone get their facts from but Crystal Dangerfield was #3 at HG and #4 PN. Butler has nothing to do with Z. While Z was 23 her Senior of HS she made a huge jump by playing on the USA 19/u team and was 1st all ACC. She realized after playing on USA team (between Fr and So yr at Duke) how little she was developing at Duke under JPM. She is a legit NPOY candidate, though I think our other candidates (KLS & Gabby) will have the edge. Crystal Dangerfield is truly dynamic and will play significant minutes even if she doesn't start.

Reaction Score
Not sure where everyone get their facts from but Crystal Dangerfield was #3 at HG and #4 PN. Butler has nothing to do with Z. While Z was 23 her Senior of HS she made a huge jump by playing on the USA 19/u team and was 1st all ACC. She realized after playing on USA team (between Fr and So yr at Duke) how little she was developing at Duke under JPM. She is a legit NPOY candidate, though I think our other candidates (KLS & Gabby) will have the edge. Crystal Dangerfield is truly dynamic and will play significant minutes even if she doesn't start.
I agree with you regarding Z. Another way to look at it is that Geno will not continuously expose Gabby and Pheesa to big, stronger players underneath when he has a legitimate and capable Big in Z (she has to earn it though) on the bench. With all due respect to Nat, Pheesa and Gabby are having to play against those bigger, stronger posts out of necessity. It is physically demanding on their bodies in spite of their output. Also they are not likely to play those positions at the next level so why not play them at their more natural positions (2/3 for Gabby and a 3/4 for Pheesa) where they can develop more capabilities (Gabby her outside shots and Pheesa her ball handling and dribble drives...) while the actual Bigs (Z and Nat) handle other Bigs inside. I also strongly believe that Crystal will be first off the bench for Kia and that Lou will develop / have more ball handling responsibility at the 2. Anyway, these are all mental gymnastics and I am salivating at the prospect of the team next year, regardless of how this year ends.

Reaction Score
Soooooo much can happen before next season. Will Nat stay for another year or go since she is academically a senior? Will any of the current bench transfer to somewhere they can play more? Many of the girls will be playing on high level teams all summer (right??).. possible injuries (please God no).. it will be an embarrassment of riches, but so much could happen before the first night!! I am looking forward to 17/18, but let's get this one done and let Geno and CD figure out the rest.

Reaction Score
While I appreciate her quote, Walker is a tremendous competitor who will eventually be a dominant player in WBB. She may not start next year, but she will certainly play significant minutes.
If the Ladies compete for the positions, we will win the NC before the season starts.

I'm just a bit concerned about margins of victory. 100 point margins throughout AAC play. It's going to be difficult. Think we will generate a lot of haters (more than now).

Reaction Score
Does that mean that Gabby will be a guard next year, otherwise only two guards?

She has been playing guard quite a bit in blow out games this season. Since Z is such a good 3-point shooter, Gabby and Pheesa could easily stay as the principle high-low posts on offense, with Gabby shifting to guard on the defensive side. It's not a big issue because UConn switches on every pick. Having Gabby as the doubler on the press will open a whole new defensive world next season.

Incidentally, this is why Natalie will see very little playing time; when she enters the game, the team has to adjust the defensive scheme. Both Z and Batouly are great athletes, with the ability to play in a switching defense. It'S also why Crystal won't start; she can't handle a post on a defensive switch. Right now, Kia covers those situations with a secondary switch whenever possible; just one of the reasons why she is so valuable defensively.

Reaction Score
As a primitive rough exercise to allocate 200 player minutes without attempt to design a rotation (That's what coaches are paid to do)

Players / minutes

Starters

Nurse / 20
Lou /25
Gabby /25
Collier /25
Stevens /25

Backups

Dangerfield / 20
Walker /15
Batouly /15
Butler/ 10

Bench Players (fluctuations based on practice competition)

Bent / 2-6
Irwin / 2-6
Espinoza-Hunter / 2-6
Coombs / 2-6
Gordon / 2-6

I just cannot see Bent and Irwin coming off bench before and playing more minutes than the 3 other freshman. These are legitimate top 100 players in the country coming out of high school. Combs is a High School All-American who can do just about everything (maybe our new Kelly or T.Hayes) and Espinoza-Hunter is a gold medal winner who can score.

Reaction Score
There have been rumblings of Coach Auriemma trying out a two-team approach; pulling the entire starting squad and sticking 5 new players in for 5-7 minutes at a run. Many teams have done this with varying levels of success, including Tulane and Arkansas (on the Men's side). Usually this meant 5 minutes of unbridled pressure defense, but it could mean 5 minutes of standard UConn motion offense and M2M defense, or 5 minutes of the System. Bottom line is it gives your starters 10-15 minutes of pine-time while your backup team goes all out for that same period, and gives the other coach a second team to have to game-plan for. It can be pretty effective. If they did it next year:

Team 1
Nurse
Samuelson
Williams
Collier
Stevens​

Team 2
Dangerfield
Bent
Irwin/Walker
Camara
Butler​

Lots of switching could take place, of course. That could make this even more powerful; Coach could tweak the second team to fit his opponent; go with a speed team, or a strong frontcourt team...lots of possibilities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom