8.4% and 7.2%... | The Boneyard

8.4% and 7.2%...

Reaction Score
...are the lowest "minimum win probability" figures for Memphis and Temple games, respectivley. But still this team found the heart to win these games. Both of these probabilities occured in the 2nd half as well. Overall it's been a rough season as a fan, but there is no doubt anymore that this team has a tremendous amount of heart. With March looming, I believe this heart will continue to carry us.

Via KenPom:
Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 12.50.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 12.49.46 PM.png

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What sticks out to me is AB's combined 39 minutes and a combined total of 4 rebounds or 1 rebound for every 8 minutes
The guy is 7' tall. VJ had 12 in 56, JD had 3 in 12 and KF had 16 in 66
AB had 2 blocks, KF had 4, VJ had 1
Mostly all the points that AB got vs Temple and Memphis were off of alley oops - he created nearly zero of his offensive 1on1 efforts
He was 5-6 on FTs which is an improvement from what we've seen this season
Its amazing the lack of production from a senior center. Yes he does act as a rim protector and alters shots but so much more is expected from a senior.
He's been a great cheerleader and ambassador for the team and program but there's more to the game than those components
I hope all future recruits for center positions come with a more polished game and deeper background
I like AB but would have loved to have seen much more from him - the freshman year looked so promising

Reaction Score
I think now at the tail end of his 4 years here at UConn he should be thought of as a true husky. He gets raked over the coals here usually not in a bad way but its time to let that all go. Just always remember St. Joe's and appreciate his efforts.

Reaction Score
...are the lowest "minimum win probability" figures for Memphis and Temple games, respectivley. But still this team found the heart to win these games. Both of these probabilities occured in the 2nd half as well. Overall it's been a rough season as a fan, but there is no doubt anymore that this team has a tremendous amount of heart. With March looming, I believe this heart will continue to carry us.

Via KenPom:
View attachment 19962
View attachment 19963
UConn's record in 1 or 2 possession games has been so bad the last year and half, hopefully the law of averages is catching up and we are going to win a lot more of these games.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
UConn's record in 1 or 2 possession games has been so bad the last year and half, hopefully the law of averages is catching up and we are going to win a lot more of these games.
We have a clearly elite PG now. Makes a big difference down the stretch.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
JA, CV, and even VJ are showing they can rise to an occasion. Consistency is still an issue.
RP is going to RP, at sometimes unstoppable and at others unwatchable. A lot more good than bad recently. His return to form is the defining aspect of this turnaround.
KF has been a huge surprise and we can't feed him the ball enough IMO, it opens up everything else. I'm still excited about what Durham can become and what Larrier/Gilbert will add next season.
AB and Enoch are too one-dimensional to be leading an elite team and the entire squad makes too many mental errors for an elite squad.

Hopefully they figure it out. Beating triple digit RPI teams at the buzzer isn't something to get overly happy about even if it is a vast improvement over losing to sub-150 teams. Knock off SMU and Cincy and we can get excited about progress.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Oh cool a thread about win probabilities gets turned into another thread bashing AB.
Aw shucks, I missed it: darn Ignore function.
Hey, wasn't Brimah the guy who made two free throws at crucial times late in the Memphis & Temple games?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hopefully they figure it out. Beating triple digit RPI teams at the buzzer isn't something to get overly happy about even if it is a vast improvement over losing to sub-150 teams. Knock off SMU and Cincy and we can get excited about progress.

That's where I'm at.

Big comebacks are fun, but it's not a great game plan. You need too much help from the other team - at some point, they accidentally make a free throw or bank in a shot and the big comeback win is now a gallant loss. And gallant losses look like regular losses on paper.

Eventually, some crazy person will look up the number of games with double digit deficits in the Ollie era and it will be a dazzling number.

Not sure why it happens, not sure why he's not more proactive when it happens, but it happens. Kinda like to see it not happen anymore.

Reaction Score
Aw shucks, I missed it: darn Ignore function.
Hey, wasn't Brimah the guy who made two free throws at crucial times late in the Memphis & Temple games?

He made a couple big one's yesterday - did he in bound the ball this week at all?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think now at the tail end of his 4 years here at UConn he should be thought of as a true husky. He gets raked over the coals here usually not in a bad way but its time to let that all go. Just always remember St. Joe's and appreciate his efforts.

Yeah I get that donyell yey rah rah but let's get through the season before we thank him for his efforts because yesterday's was awful and he needs to come up big against SMU and Cincy for us to take home a W or 2. Like guard Washington and don't get outplayed dramatically.

Reaction Score
What's important is that these guys, particular Jalen and the frosh, are getting used to winning.

I think this program has gotten too familiar with losing lately, and this helps turn around that mindset. Compare to Kansas, who has a hex over the rest of the XII and found ways to pull out improbable wins against Top 10 teams.

We need to get back to that.

Reaction Score
What sticks out to me is AB's combined 39 minutes and a combined total of 4 rebounds or 1 rebound for every 8 minutes
The guy is 7' tall. VJ had 12 in 56, JD had 3 in 12 and KF had 16 in 66
AB had 2 blocks, KF had 4, VJ had 1
Mostly all the points that AB got vs Temple and Memphis were off of alley oops - he created nearly zero of his offensive 1on1 efforts
He was 5-6 on FTs which is an improvement from what we've seen this season
Its amazing the lack of production from a senior center. Yes he does act as a rim protector and alters shots but so much more is expected from a senior.
He's been a great cheerleader and ambassador for the team and program but there's more to the game than those components
I hope all future recruits for center positions come with a more polished game and deeper background
I like AB but would have loved to have seen much more from him - the freshman year looked so promising

This is a lazy post. You left out a couple of important details. One, UConn won the overall rebounding battle 29 to 26. Second, Temple's centers combined to rebound four shots - and zero offensively - in 35 minutes. I don't know how much data we need before we realize that, while Brimah is not a great rebounder, KO's schemes are not conducive to big men posting huge rebounding numbers. They're taught to cross off bodies and allow the wings and the guards to scoop up the loose change. Nobody, since KO's tenure began, has rebounded well at the center position (incidentally, the current version of Brimah might do so better than anyone). Hell, look at how Olander's rebounding rate went down, how Miller's rebounding rate plummeted, etc. It's part player, part system.

If we are going to gauge Brimah's progress statistically, however, how about noting the improvement of his defensive rebounding rate from 11.1% as a freshman to 17.2% as a senior. How about noting that he is averaging more than a full rebound above his previous career high? 9, 6, and 3 in conference play? Second highest rebounding rate on the team (less than a percentage point behind Facey)? Or does that just not fit the narrative?

He is what he is, a limited, situational player that hasn't played the game long enough to be more than that. Just don't cherry pick statistics to fuel your tired campaign.

Reaction Score
This is a lazy post. You left out a couple of important details. One, UConn won the overall rebounding battle 29 to 26. Second, Temple's centers combined to rebound four shots - and zero offensively - in 35 minutes. I don't know how much data we need before we realize that, while Brimah is not a great rebounder, KO's schemes are not conducive to big men posting huge rebounding numbers. They're taught to cross off bodies and allow the wings and the guards to scoop up the loose change. Nobody, since KO's tenure began, has rebounded well at the center position (incidentally, the current version of Brimah might do so better than anyone). Hell, look at how Olander's rebounding rate went down, how Miller's rebounding rate plummeted, etc. It's part player, part system.

If we are going to gauge Brimah's progress statistically, however, how about noting the improvement of his defensive rebounding rate from 11.1% as a freshman to 17.2% as a senior. How about noting that he is averaging more than a full rebound above his previous career high? 9, 6, and 3 in conference play? Second highest rebounding rate on the team (less than a percentage point behind Facey)? Or does that just not fit the narrative?

He is what he is, a limited, situational player that hasn't played the game long enough to be more than that. Just don't cherry pick statistics to fuel your tired campaign.

In fairness to gtcam your "KO's schemes are not conducive to big men posting huge rebounding numbers" is a line of crap. He has had hundreds of rebounds go by him he hasn't sniffed in his career because he isn't ready, he's not boxing out or he just can't catch it. KO's schemes should allow anyone who wants to rebound or can rebound to get rebounds, it's on them not some scheme. True as you say on the increase of over 1 rebound, impressive to some but he is 7 feet, but a reminder his soph year he also blocked 3.5 shots and the last 2 years averaging 2.7. There's your rebound he's blocking less shots.

I agree don't cherry pick stats but also don't back him up with some line of BS, he's just an awful rebounder for a 7 footer!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I suspect my Ignore has equal affect on this poster, but thanks for posting anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom