77-74 turns 20 today | The Boneyard

77-74 turns 20 today

Reaction Score
Still the best night in sports history. What a time to be a UConn fan.

jones.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like it was yesterday
Being there for that game was a rush that i'll never experience again.....

Reaction Score
Wow. 20 years???

Then again, the only World Series win I've seen was 1986 and that's now 33 years passed.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
That was a magical evening in St. Pete. We couldn't sleep that night. The party was on!

Tropicana Field shall remain sacred UConn Husky turf forever.

Reaction Score
Best night of my sports fan life (Uconn/Duke 04 being #2).

The father (passed away a few years ago, may he RIP) of my best friend at the time went to the game. Loved hearing his stories when he came back that weekend.

Reaction Score
That was a magical evening in St. Pete. We couldn't sleep that night. The party was on!

Tropicana Field shall remain sacred UConn Husky turf forever.
Oh I remember that. I was in the Holiday Inn with all the Mich St fans and cheerleaders. They treated me like one of the UConn players, like I won the championship, LOL. I was at that game. Most of Tropicana Field was pulling for UConn. I also remember the arrogant Duke fans filing out when the championship trophy presentation started.

Reaction Score
Third best night of my life after the births of my two children. I told my ex wife that and let me just say that she did not understand. She had the nerve to ask if it was better than our wedding night? I had to be honest with her. Maybe that is one of the reasons why she is my EX wife! I was there and it was unbelievable. Flying home the next day we had a layover in Raleigh and I was fully perpared to talk a bunch of smack. The people in NC greeted us like heros, turns out the majority of the people in NC hate Duke as well.

Reaction Score
I still have that document I put together with all the articles from that run. It's buried away on some flash drive or something. I'll try to dig it up if anyone wants it.

Reaction Score
I still have that document I put together with all the articles from that run. It's buried away on some flash drive or something. I'll try to dig it up if anyone wants it.
I have many newspaper articles from the days after

Reaction Score
Great insightful article in hartford courant about 99 team recently. In depth interviews. Some stuff I didn’t kno. Almost didn’t happen. Great read

Reaction Score
Ya, I wrote a really long story about that a few months ago. Should have waited until the 20th year celebration of that win.

OT: - My Uconn wall of 1999.

When I was a teen in the late 90s I wanted to be a sports writer. I kind of wish I had stuck with it. I learned HTML at 18 and made a really cool college hoops site for my friends that they loved. I wish I had learned HTML a few years earlier (for 1999!). I also wrote a sports drama book when I was 17 and 18 that I learned how to bind in one of my classes and gave it to a few of my friends, never got it published but my sister was married to a guy who worked at a prominent newspaper who enjoyed it. That Uconn/Duke game 1999 brings back a lot of memories including faded dreams, like the dream of being a sports writer or publishing a book (I guess it isn't too late for #2). Sigh :) .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember walking Clearwater beach the next day after being up all night. I found a picture in my pocket of my friend and I at some bar with no recollection of who took it or when.

We were sitting in the nosebleed surrounded by Puke fans.

They hated us!

Reaction Score
God. Imagine never knowing how good the big east used to be? So glad I grew up in 80s/90s. Perfect time to grow up. (In my humble opinion ) not too old/not too young. Right in the middle. Lol

Reaction Score
I remember telling our group..."Not only did we get to the Final Four this year, but we are going to win the whole F'in THING!" at the top of my lungs in a packed Knickerbockers in the Milford Mall. Unfortunately, those were the only seats I could afford at the time. Going home at 2 AM, I also recall all the road construction signs being reprogrammed to read "Congratulations to the UCONN Men's Basketball team, 1999 NCAA Champions!". Everyone was in on the party.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom