77% / 100% | The Boneyard

77% / 100%

Reaction Score
We were up one on New Mexico State at the under 12 timeout in the first half. From that point on, New Mexico State shot:

10-13 from three (77%) and
13-13 from the FT line (100%).

Those numbers are insane. Nobody shoots that in a game. Nobody shoots that in an empty gym. The best three-point shooting team in the NBA shoots 37%. NM State shot twice that well from the under-12 on. And they didn't miss from the line.

I get that it's cathartic to blame Hurley, but there's no gameplan for that. New Mexico State is not a great three-point shooting team. Defense is about forcing a team to take tough shots. We did that. Most of their three-pointers were contested and/or launched from multiple feet behind the three-point arc. The shots went in anyway. We just ran into a buzzsaw tonight.

Reaction Score
We were up one on New Mexico State at the under 12 timeout in the first half. From that point on, New Mexico State shot:

Those numbers are insane. Nobody shoots that in a game. Nobody shoots that in an empty gym. The best three-point shooting team in the NBA shoots 37%. NM State shot twice that well from the under-12 on. And they didn't miss from the line.

I get that it's cathartic to blame Hurley, but there's no gameplan for that. New Mexico State is not a great three-point shooting team. Defense is about forcing a team to take tough shots. We did that. Most of their three-pointers were contested and/or launched from multiple feet behind the three-point arc. The shots went in anyway. We just ran into a buzzsaw tonight.
And they still only scored 70.

Reaction Score
We still should have won. Had plenty of open looks and missed bunnies.
I agree. We were right there at the end, and if we had avoided one or two mistakes we would have advanced.

But every favorite that advanced today made mistakes, turned the ball over, missed a few open layups. And most of them still won comfortably by double digits. The nice thing about being a high seed in the first round is your opponent generally allows some margin for error. NM State afforded us none tonight.

Reaction Score
We still should have won. Had plenty of open looks and missed bunnies.
So many bunnies.... But they did that all season and I bet more than the season per game average in 4 of the last 5 games.

Reaction Score

Correct. And I don't blame Hurley but besides Cole we didn't have a player who could get their own shot. Jackson particularly was open enough often but he doesn't or can't shoot. Major problem next season.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Defense wasn’t the problem. Despite giving up those numbers, we only gave up 70 (including garbage time FTs).

The problem was we could score.

Another game where our 2 back court guys didn’t get involved until way too late.

No game script should involve 2 of our first 3 shots to be a Whaley and Jackson 3… bad offense from the tip.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Allen hit some ridiculously tough shots, but he didn't look surprised by it. Nor did ge look bothered by what looked like good defense.

Reaction Score
Most of that scoring came from one person who we couldn't shut down. UConn didn't look like they wanted to be there from the tip. They didn't play aggressive at all and the offensive looked like something you'd have expected in the first few games of the season not at the end

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom