7 years ago today | The Boneyard

7 years ago today

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Tuesday, the first day of the BET, we started our run of 5 games in 5 nights and 11 straight overall

None of us had a clue of what was about to happen. My favorite moment of that BET was Kemba's ankle breaking game winning shot vs Pitt. One replay they still show and I never tire of. When watching that replay, I'm still astonished that nobody tried to help with Kemba. It's like Jamie Dixon said 'whatever you do, don't double Kemba, make him beat us and don't leave Jamal Coombs-McDaniel open".

Reaction Score
That was the Makers Muppet run. Surreal.

Reaction Score
I think it was March 8th (sorry I know 2 days off just had to point it out)

Reaction Score
Junior at UConn for that season. Watched him hit the step-back on the crappy computer they had in the hostel in Montreal I was staying at for Spring Break.

"Magical" doesn't begin to describe that run

Reaction Score
I was at a client during the Pitt game. The whole office (about a dozen people) stopped what they were doing and we all went into the conference room to watch the final minute. Everyone went crazy after he hit the shot.

That was a noon weekday game in the quarterfinal round. That's how special the old Big East was. You got #1 vs #19 nationally in the friggin quaterfinals, before things even got real in the BET.

Reaction Score
When the Kemba shot went in, I thought the same thing as JC - at least he said that he thought it. 'We're going all the way'. Nonsensical, but that's what I thought.

Reaction Score
I never thought I would see a run in the tourney more impressive than Danny and the Miracles. Damn I was wrong. Perfect Coach, the Right Player, and a fan base ready to scream **** the World!!! If I live to be 100 I doubt I ever see anything like it again.

Reaction Score
The wild thing is that there were more than a few Boneyarders who thought it would happen.

I know there were posts here about them not making the tournament (yes, there were!) but a lot of people pointed to their undefeated OOC record and said the team had a decent chance to win it all.

After the BET, UConn was the 4th more popular pick on tens of millions of ESPN brackets.

willie99

Reaction Score
When the Kemba shot went in, I thought the same thing as JC - at least he said that he thought it. 'We're going all the way'. Nonsensical, but that's what I thought.

and I thought it's time to buy tickets for tomorrow, I think a few Pitt fans might be looking to sell :)

Reaction Score
I was in high school and following the game on espn gamecast on my kindle fire as we were supposed to be "reading". Just constantly refreshing my tablet until i saw we won 76-74 and instantly had to find out how. Insane moment

willie99

Reaction Score
We were sitting in a Pitt section for that game behind the hoop, Kemba's shot was coming straight at us

There were people in that section that were not very nice to us, and we were just respectfully cheering for our team, no honestly, we weren't causing trouble.

After Kemba's shot went in, a girl behind us yelled "who cares they won, we're still the better team and we still had a better season". Obviously directed at the three stooges that were just jumping up and down and gleefully hugging each other. There are times I wonder what that bitch thought after we won both the BET and NC and I think "man I'd love to see that girl again"

Reaction Score
That was the only good thing in my life during the first half of 2011, in what was otherwise the worst 8 months of my life (from November 2010 to July 2011).

Reaction Score
We were sitting in a Pitt section for that game behind the hoop, Kemba's shot was coming straight at us

There were people in that section that were not very nice to us, and we were just respectfully cheering for our team, no honestly, we weren't causing trouble.

After Kemba's shot went in, a girl behind us yelled "who cares they won, we're still the better team and we still had a better season". Obviously directed at the three stooges that were just jumping up and down and gleefully hugging each other. There are times I wonder what that bitch thought after we won both the BET and NC and I think "man I'd love to see that girl again"

Pitt fans were always the worst of the old BE, though I have to hand it to them, they travel well.

I remember that during the 2004 BET championship game, UConn fell behind by double digits in the 2nd half, and a crazy UConn fan made a $200 bet with a Pitt fan that UConn would win. The whole section knew. And a neutral G'Town fan was charged with holding the cash. That Pitt fan was roasted after UConn came back and won.

Reaction Score
Haha, I was teaching a composition course and commandeered a student's computer to watch it... I regret nothing.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I was sitting in MSG with Pitt fans on both sides of my trio there.
We were out hollering them all game
When it came down to that last play - before they put the ball in play - Pitt fans on both sides said "Kemba going to drain one
I saw one of the guys the next day in the Affinia Hotel atrium and bought him a beer in the hotel bar- he gave me his remaining set of BE tickets (2) and said - If UConn does anything, please beat Syracuse
We had tickets to see Further the next night and my buddy and I were thinking of selling those tickets but decided to go see Further because our luck vs to the Cuse in the BE tourney was bad so we thought we would not watch and follow on our cells. We scalped the Pitt's guy tickets and our Cuse game tickets, got enough money to pay us back for the Further tickets, 1/2 our BE package costs, and dinner before the show.
When UConn won we hooted and everyone around us at the concert starred at us and we said "UConn beat Cuse" and about 200 people booed us - never felt prouder in my life
The rest, as they say, is history
Ended with a Kemba signed ticket and a picture with his Mom and Dad

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The seventh anniversary of the Makers Muppet post is what we should be celebrating. One day, a team will beat 4 ranked teams in 4 days again but there will NEVER be as good a piece of internet writing.

I scrolled down explicitly looking to see mention of this.

Last Monday night, I helped Lady Hans move after 4 nights in a Times Square hotel to an Airbnb 6 blocks away. Her childhood friend, in from Tulsa (of all places), looked exactly like what I pictured when I read the Makers Muppet description of the Louisville fans with their wheelie cart luggage. Not something I can't tell her, but it gave me a warm feeling inside.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
JC's awkward half jump/cheer following Kemba's game-winner over Pitt is one of my favorite things ever.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
images

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member