7" Tablets | The Boneyard

7" Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Decided I need one of these for Christmas. Move some of my non work related stuff off of my corporate issued iPhone, and replace my gen 1 Kindle.

Best bets seem to be Google/ Asus Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD. IPad mini coming out this week. Am I missing any good contenders? Anybody who has one care to weigh in?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ohh, I thought this was about the size of Valium Ann Romney was taking.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
I'd wait until the mediafest is done next Monday. Google is re-introducing the Nexus 7; Apple has their Mini; and no one knows how far MS will go with their two events. They (or a vendor) could announce a 7 inch.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'd wait until the mediafest is done next Monday. Google is re-introducing the Nexus 7; Apple has their Mini; and no one knows how far MS will go with their two events. They (or a vendor) could announce a 7 inch.
I'm waiting. Just wanted to gather som trusted intel for the decision. It looks like the iPad mini will be significantly more than the Nexus or Kindle HD.

Reaction Score
I'm waiting. Just wanted to gather som trusted intel for the decision. It looks like the iPad mini will be significantly more than the Nexus or Kindle HD.
And worth every penny.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's nothing to find out.

It'll be a 7.85" iPad and they will sell ten gabazillion of them.

I imagine they'll sell an LTE version - I would not mind one in the Verizon flavor. With the huge battery, LTE and the 'free' tethering, the Verizon iPads have come in handy as portable hotspots for us. A smaller version would be nice.

AT&T LTE has been slow to extend past NYC and even if it had, no tethering on their plans.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There's nothing to find out.

It'll be a 7.85" iPad and they will sell ten gabazillion of them.

I imagine they'll sell an LTE version - I would not mind one in the Verizon flavor. With the huge battery, LTE and the 'free' tethering, the Verizon iPads have come in handy as portable hotspots for us. A smaller version would be nice.

AT&T LTE has been slow to extend past NYC and even if it had, no tethering on their plans.

Yes, but the pricing projections have been all over the map. If 16GB is $249 I may get one. If 8GB is $329 I definitely will not.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Yes, but the pricing projections have been all over the map. If 16GB is $249 I may get one. If 8GB is $329 I definitely will not.

Almost. $329 for the 16GB versus the Kindle Fire HD for $199.00

So would you get more use out of a Kindle Fire HD and a one-year Amazon Prime Subscription, a Pandora Subscription, a few eBook collections, Kindle and the various free sync iTunes app? Or more use out of an iPad mini with no apps and an empty iTunes store? Value or performance?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Almost. $329 for the 16GB versus the Kindle Fire HD for $199.00

So would you get more use out of a Kindle Fire HD and a one-year Amazon Prime Subscription, a Pandora Subscription, a few eBook collections, Kindle and the various free sync iTunes app? Or more use out of an iPad mini with no apps and an empty iTunes store? Value or performance?

Honestly, I think I'm better off with a cheaper device. I already have Hulu+ for video content, plus will watch the Huskies on ESPN 3 via the Watch ESPN app. Tapatalk runs on Android right? The iPad mini prices with 3G/LTE were really, really high in my opinion (and every manufactuer overcharges for flash). Yes, it's slightly bigger than the 7" tablets, but if I wanted bigger, I'd probably get a Surface and have build quality on par with or better than the iPad mini and way more work related functionality.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Kindle HD is pretty sweet and will do you well. I brought one and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom