68 - That is the number of players ESPN ranked ahead of | The Boneyard

68 - That is the number of players ESPN ranked ahead of

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And an injury in college might lead to 5 guys being rated higher than he is in the Big East. We'll see at week's end.
He had an injury in high school which limited his visibility on the AAU circuit.

Reaction Score
You also just have to remember how awful and lazy ESPN is with recruiting. They just pay attention to what schools are recruiting someone, give them an eye test here and there with compilation videos, and wing it. Nobody cares enough to actually hold anyone to a high predictive standard.

So, with ESPNs agenda against us and our slump under the late Ollie years, the players we recruit will not be ranked as high as they once were when we were dominating the BE and winning a championship every 4 years. Maybe that will change, but who knows. While I’m sure, with ongoing success, Hurley will start recruiting higher-ranked players, he may be one that just likes to stick with 40-75 ranked guys who will buy into his system/intensity and not just look to chill on a college campus for 6 months before collecting a check.

Reaction Score
Even though he’s played in 40 games and counting, he’s still one of UConn’s biggest “what ifs” with the way his time here has been affected by COVID and injuries. Really wish we could’ve gotten two full seasons for Bouknight.

Reaction Score
Even though he’s played in 40 games and counting, he’s still one of UConn’s biggest “what ifs” with the way his time here has been affected by COVID and injuries. Really wish we could’ve gotten two full seasons for Bouknight.
I think we are poised for a run that will put him in a more appropriate place in Husky lore

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying but stars make their name in March... he's got a prime opportunity in front of him.

Reaction Score
20210306_144246.jpg
I wouldn't trust ESPN with getting anything correct.

Reaction Score
wh
He had an injury in high school which limited his visibility on the AAU circuit.
that makes sense, what’s the deal with akok’ drop reclassifyin?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I remember reading something Hurley said when discussing Bouk's recruitment. It was something along the lines of "...when we would go to watch him play, we got giddy at the fact that there was never any other coaching staff there recruiting him as well."

Reaction Score
wh

that makes sense, what’s the deal with akok’ drop reclassifyin?
He looked amazing at the prep school nationals that had some sites rank him as a 5 star. When he reclassed certain sites just decided to rank him as a 4 star since he moved up a class and came in mid season.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what’s the threshold for being able to lead the league in scoring average? Did he finally get enough games to earn that?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You also just have to remember how awful and lazy ESPN is with recruiting. They just pay attention to what schools are recruiting someone, give them an eye test here and there with compilation videos, and wing it. Nobody cares enough to actually hold anyone to a high predictive standard.

So, with ESPNs agenda against us and our slump under the late Ollie years, the players we recruit will not be ranked as high as they once were when we were dominating the BE and winning a championship every 4 years. Maybe that will change, but who knows. While I’m sure, with ongoing success, Hurley will start recruiting higher-ranked players, he may be one that just likes to stick with 40-75 ranked guys who will buy into his system/intensity and not just look to chill on a college campus for 6 months before collecting a check.
Every 5.5 years

Reaction Score
I think we are poised for a run that will put him in a more appropriate place in Husky lore
I think a run is necessary for his legacy min sweet sixteen or elite 8
Two shortened seasons ,an injury magnified by the number of games played will certainly effect his legacy. The good news is the season isn’t over yet and he has the biggest games of his career ahead of him.

Reaction Score
When I was younger I used to obsess over rankings. But now as I got older I realized it's about a mixture of talent and personality that dictates how well they do in your particular team. Hurley and the staff goes out and finds hard workers that are fearless and those who play on both ends of the floor. Gimme that every day over the number ESPN puts by their name.

Even when Bouk came back after an injury, he still put his body on the line and hustled back on defense. Staff is so good at identifying players that always play 100 percent for the team, and of course offer a special talent like Jackson being a freak athlete with good vision, Sanogo with great footwork and soft touch around the rim, etc.

Reaction Score
When I was younger I used to obsess over rankings. But now as I got older I realized it's about a mixture of talent and personality that dictates how well they do in your particular team. Hurley and the staff goes out and finds hard workers that are fearless and those who play on both ends of the floor. Gimme that every day over the number ESPN puts by their name.

Even when Bouk came back after an injury, he still put his body on the line and hustled back on defense. Staff is so good at identifying players that always play 100 percent for the team, and of course offer a special talent like Jackson being a freak athlete with good vision, Sanogo with great footwork and soft touch around the rim, etc.
Another recruit that's an example of your point is Corey F. With the impact COVID had on last year's AAU season and this year's HS season re: ability to play a regular schedule. It certainly affected his rankings/ratings. Who knows if there will be a "normal" AAU season this summer.

By the eye test and his play vs excellent competition his rankings clearly don't match up with his skill set and projections at the next level in CBB.

DH/staff did an excellent job of getting him on board before any ratings bump and we will all enjoy his game once he brings it to Storrs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom