67, 60, 51, 69, 88, 66, 54 | The Boneyard

67, 60, 51, 69, 88, 66, 54

Reaction Score
That's our offense output in the last 7 games. On the season we still average 71+, but the trend is obvious.

We have capable scorers. CV, AG Josh, Polley, Bouk and Adams have all scored 19 or more points in a game. Against USF no one scored more than 11 points.

I don't mean this as an criticism, just an observation. Hurley's substitution pattern doesn't seem to account for a hot hand. It seems more like a set rotation especially in the first half. If anything gives me hope this will change it was Polley last night. Hurley gave him 35 minutes. If I had to define how Hurley coaches, it's more intellectual than by feel. He knows how to build a program (obviously) but it's a method. More science than art. Be nice to see a little more gut and a little less head in his game.

Reaction Score
That's our offense output in the last 7 games. On the season we still average 71+, but the trend is obvious.

We have capable scorers. CV, AG Josh, Polley, Bouk and Adams have all scored 19 or more points in a game. Against USF no one scored more than 11 points.

I don't mean this as an criticism, just an observation. Hurley's substitution pattern doesn't seem to account for a hot hand. It seems more like a set rotation especially in the first half. If anything gives me hope this will change it was Polley last night. Hurley gave him 35 minutes. If I had to define how Hurley coaches, it's more intellectual than by feel. He knows how to build a program (obviously) but it's a method. More science than art. Be nice to see a little more gut and a little less head in his game.

I agree fully. A few weeks ago, Bouknight scored 6 points in 2 minutes of game time, and was pulled. The hot hand should always be in the game unless he is being roasted on D or totally winded.

Reaction Score
They've been pretty good holding teams from scoring but the lack of offense at best will preclude them from winning by as much as they should against lesser talented teams and at worst is going to cost them wins against even decent teams. The lack of offense makes the margin for error really thin.

Think about last night. They really should kill a team like Tulane at home but they only won by 6 points. If Polley doesn't play really well (which was an unexpected plus) or they don't crush Tulane on the boards that is a loss. That margin for error is just so thin when you're scoring in the 60's. It's a real problem.

Reaction Score
Has to do with the pace of play. Hurley is playing slow and blow for blow making each possession count, UVA style, however this team doesn’t have the Ollie guys don’t have the offensive talent to play this style. I think we might be better off playing at a high pace that’s going to force more TOs on their part. Obviously we went slow because of our TO struggles but against tough teams we are still gonna cough up the ball a lot. Once we went slow the halfcourt offense was stagnant. Got poor looks late in the shot clock which hurt us. We would be better if we can be the attackers not the attacked and that starts with intensity from the tip.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hot hands are overrated, and you are all obsessing too much about substitutions. UConn has 9 players that are decent, and the rotation seems to be firming up a little. Hurley has to solve the ball movement and shot selection issues, and we need our D to create more O.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Has to do with the pace of play. Hurley is playing slow and blow for blow making each possession count, UVA style, however this team doesn’t have the Ollie guys don’t have the offensive talent to play this style. I think we might be better off playing at a high pace that’s going to force more TOs on their part. Obviously we went slow because of our TO struggles but against tough teams we are still gonna cough up the ball a lot. Once we went slow the halfcourt offense was stagnant. Got poor looks late in the shot clock which hurt us. We would be better if we can be the attackers not the attacked and that starts with intensity from the tip.

Calhoun pressed the Dream Season because he needed his defense to create offense. A transition possession should have a higher PPP than a halfcourt offense possession. We don't have a great offensive team, so we need more transition baskets, especially when Carlton is on the bench. Speed the game up and turn it into a track meet. We have the horses to win that kind of game in the AAC. Next year will be a different story.

Reaction Score

Hurley wants to play fast though. UVA plays a packline, we're pressuring the ball and trying to generate TOs. That's a lack of execution by our team, and probably some bad coaching too

Reaction Score
I was thinking about pace of play as part of the reason but it doesn't feel like UConn plays that slow. Anyone with KenPom, can you let us know where UConn stands for D1 teams in pace of play. I'd be curious how many offensive possessions UConn averages per game compared to everyone else.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I thought this was a Lumosity thingy where we’re supposed to pick the next number in the pattern.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom