6'4" 2018 Olivia Owens in demand | The Boneyard

6'4" 2018 Olivia Owens in demand

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Olivia Owens is in Demand :: NYG Hoops Report (New York)

" plans on visiting Maryland on June 25th and UConn at the end of the Summer. "

“I like how Maryland & Uconn have really taken their time to get to know Olivia and her family. More important than an offer is that head coaches have drove up to Albany to see you play/practice, Geno & Brenda Frese have done that and not too many offered kids can say that.”

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
David

“I like how Maryland & Uconn have really taken their time to get to know Olivia and her family. More important than an offer is that head coaches have drove up to Albany to see you play/practice, Geno & Brenda Frese have done that and not too many offered kids can say that.”
Coach is here.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, Coach!

She's not in the Hoopgurlz top 25--yet.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
this quote to me the other day from Bret McCormick ( ASGR scouting service )

" Owens one of the best in her class-top 10 prospect hands down. sky is the limit "

for those that don't know... Bret is a former college coach. very well respected.

PS. he also has Mikayla Coombs in his Top 10 nationally

Reaction Score

It is nice to know that both coaches have driven to Albany to see her..
If Geno's assistants see a Top Candidate for Uconn WBB then it is pretty certain that Geno does so personally. Maybe that's what separates him from the pack--he cares enough to know what he wants and will be getting.

Reaction Score
this quote to me the other day from Bret McCormick ( ASGR scouting service )

" Owens one of the best in her class-top 10 prospect hands down. sky is the limit "

for those that don't know... Bret is a former college coach. very well respected.

PS. he also has Mikayla Coombs in his Top 10 nationally
Why not look at Up State NY---it did pretty well for Geno in the last 4 years. Maybe there is another treasure Geno needs to excavate from there????

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I wonder how much Geno privately dreads having to get in the car and go kiss the butt of a 16 year old kid and her parents. Having to play the "game" because of he doesn't, his program falls behind. Has to be the worst part of the job-by far.

JS

Reaction Score
I wonder how much Geno privately dreads having to get in the car and go kiss the butt of a 16 year old kid and her parents. Having to play the "game" because of he doesn't, his program falls behind. Has to be the worst part of the job-by far.
I don't think he does it by kissing butt. He does it by being honest and funny and having the best program.

He's not among those who flatter kids or make false promises to them. Quite the contrary. He promises only that they'll get excellent coaching, have excellent teammates, and earn through hard work what they get in playing time.

He's said, some time ago, that recruiting was his least favorite part of the job. But not because he has to, or will, suck up to anyone.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You never know who's hand holds the stick who's beating the drum. For a lot of kids there are people working too hard to up their profile imo. For that reason I take little interest in anyone this far out. Of course, some powerful candidates seem to get snapped up in verbal commits and the competition gets fiercer by the year. What am I saying? I'm so confused! :confused:

Reaction Score
What?! Good grief

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Some time ago I posted two quotes from Geno's book. In the foreword, Diana emphatically asserted that Geno - unlike other stalking coaches - "does not kiss your ass!"

Elsewhere Geno describes recruiting as both the "worst" and "most important" parts of his job.

This explains why he drives to places like Albany and what he will not do when meeting the recruit.;)

Reaction Score
No spitting match here victor64 and welcome aboard. Having said that do realize he has been doing the same thing since 1985! ;) That and he makes over two million dollars a year doing so. :D
Think like a coach would think. We all no matter what trade have a dislike for some portion of the job. Those that are more successful take that as a challenge rather than pout about it. Championships come from garnering players of championship caliber. Geno will always be the first to say "we won because we had so and so". Guess how so and so got here?

Yes I am sure he prefers to drive just a few miles from home and do the work on the court but the victories on the road determine just how hard that job is also. The trophies come later but any coach with a drive to win championships is also going to really enjoy the signature of a prized recruit. Even more so over competition from the schools in the state they come from. We have one coming in from Texas this year and another from Tenn, that should speak for itself. Albany NY is nothing but a nice day trip through some wine country for him. That and maybe another recruiting success story. As to the point of him having to kiss butt of 16 year olds or their parents. If that is an issue at this point in his career with 11 national championships, being the coach of the national team etc. I don't think so...Again no slander but he let a two time CT player of the year go off to Maryland with out an offer. Geno has recruiting in check. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree totally with JS and Kib. In addition, I believe that Coach has a very nice set of wheels that would make for a pleasant drive to Albany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom