5th Starter On Opening Night: Poll | The Boneyard

5th Starter On Opening Night: Poll

Against UC-Davis, who will be UConn's 5th starter in addition to Kiah, Stewie, KML, and Moriah?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Since my first attempt to poll the Boneyard population was so universally well received, I thought I would try a second poll. Let's see if this one can stay open for more than a couple of hours. It pertains to the Opening Night starters only, not what may happen later in the season.

Reaction Score
I think Tuck will need to come in for Stokes at times... we have limited bigs...

I would go with Nurse because she has had the summer to play... And I think Chong still needs to show what she has....

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Tuck.

I wanted to watch some pre-injury Tuck games before I answered the question.

In the 2013 NCAA championship game against Louisville. Tuck played 18minutes in the game and there were stretches of the game where the lineup was Hartley, KML, Dolson, Stewart, and Tuck.

So with that said, I could see a lineup of MoJeff, KML, Tuck, Stewart, and Stokes.

Just a hunch.

Some will say it leaves no post player on the bench but you can always sub in some 6 foot guards and move people around. (Ekmark, Nurse, Williams).

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Tuck.

I wanted to watch some pre-injury Tuck games before I answered the question.

In the 2013 NCAA championship game against Louisville. Tuck played 18minutes in the game and there were stretches of the game where the lineup was Hartley, KML, Dolson, Stewart, and Tuck.

So with that said, I could see a lineup of MoJeff, KML, Tuck, Stewart, and Stokes.

Just a hunch.

Some will say it leaves no post player on the bench but you can always sub in some 6 foot guards and move people around. (Ekmark, Nurse, Williams).
Great theory. Your hunch will be our line up often I believe.
I think it will be Chong over Nurse because she's a sophomore. And then Nurse becoming the starter if she just shows she is better. geno will give Chong first shot if it's close- I think.

Reaction Score
Chong, nurse, or Edwards.
I can't see starting tuck.

Reaction Score
Ms. Chong gets the start. Her knowledge of the system gives her a big advantage. Going forward she will then have to play up to her potential.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I believe that Geno will start Morgan Tuck for two reasons:

1. She's a helluva player.

2. I think he will want to recognize -- call it "reward," if you wish -- her total dedication to rehab after so many disheartening setbacks.​

Reaction Score

2. I think he will want to recognize -- call it "reward," if you wish -- her total dedication to rehab after so many disheartening setbacks.​
I believe Geno will put his five best players on the court to start. If he does that, Tuck will start, and KML will go to the #2...and be highly effective there.

There is no question that he will have Tuck in the game when he plays zone, much like he did with Kiah last season. Starting the only three post players, though, seems too risky from a foul perspective, especially when playing a team like Stanford.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There is no question that he will have Tuck in the game when he plays zone, much like he did with Kiah last season. Starting the only three post players, though, seems too risky from a foul perspective, especially when playing a team like Stanford.

Time for one of our stats experts to identify how many UConn players have fouled out in recent years. I bet it's not very many -- and, if not, not a cause for concern.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't see KML chasing quick guards around the perimeter; thus, I don't see Tuck in the starting lineup.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't see KML chasing quick guards around the perimeter; thus, I don't see Tuck in the starting lineup.

I think you underestimate Kaleena's defensive skills and you surely aren't serious in thinking that any team has a guard (any size, any quickness) capable of guarding KML at the other end.

She is an AA and projects to be the #1 pick in the WNBA draft (as a guard) for a reason.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I think you underestimate Kaleena's defensive skills and you surely aren't serious in thinking that any team has a guard (any size, any quickness) capable of guarding KML at the other end.

She is an AA and projects to be the #1 pick in the WNBA draft (as a guard) for a reason.

I'm not referring to KML on the offensive end. I don't think she can defend guards, nor do I think Geno would want her wasting energy trying. You can disagree with that, but that's what I believe.

And I don't know about her WNBA status but even in a recent article John Altavilla mentioned questions pro execs have about her:

But there is work to be done. There are WNBA executives who doubt Mosqueda-Lewis has the speed and agility to get to the basket, to create her own shots and, more importantly, guard the swift perimeter players she will be assigned to at the next level.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ccess-comes-in-all-shapes-20141020-story.html

Reaction Score

I agree. If we learned anything with Doty, Geno is loyal to his players. Addtionally, he said he didn't want Doty to warm up, then sit and get stiff. The same may apply to Tuck.

Bottom line. Geno with start the five best players and I believe one of them will be Tuck.

And keep in mind that the Huskies are not likely to get in foul trouble.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
But there is work to be done. There are WNBA executives who doubt Mosqueda-Lewis has the speed and agility to get to the basket, to create her own shots and, more importantly, guard the swift perimeter players she will be assigned to at the next level.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ccess-comes-in-all-shapes-20141020-story.html

Same wise WNBA executives who all passed on Tiffany Hayes in the first round of the WNBA draft a couple years ago. (Or locally, how they chased Mike T. away to hire Donovan as Sun's coach.) The comment about doubting Kaleena's ability to create her own shot is beyond ridiculous.

The season will start soon and we'll see how Geno calls the shots.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Time for one of our stats experts to identify how many UConn players have fouled out in recent years. I bet it's not very many -- and, if not, not a cause for concern.

Players fouling out of a game....
2013/14 = 2 (MoJeff, Banks)
2012/13 = 4 (KML, Tuck, Stef, Bria)
2011/12 = 5 (Tiff, Bria, Faris 3)

Proof that when you can't afford to foul, UConn won't foul. ;)
Go Huskies..!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I want Chong to start the year at the 2, and play so well nobody else gets a chance to start there.
That's kind of my thought. If Tuck is starting, that means that none of the guards is really impressing enough to start. Not a good thing in my mind.

Not saying Geno won't start her, I just hope he doesn't.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The lineup needs two guards who can handle the ball. Johns article I have to agree with. Now with that said playing teams in exhibition Geno will try different lineups such as a one guard line with MoJeff. I don't see Tuck or KML as ball handlers. My guess is Chong starts and Nurse off the bench. If Chong is out played by Nurse down the road a couple of games perhaps Nurse starts and Chong comes off the bench. Chong knows the UConn system, and has experience with the team. IMO it would be unfair to start Nurse and put that kind of pressure on her even though she played for Team Canada she still needs time under Geno. Tuck and KML are not ball handler and to have either one of them up top handling the ball puts them out of position. JMO

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Players fouling out of a game....
2013/14 = 2 (MoJeff, Banks)
2012/13 = 4 (KML, Tuck, Stef, Bria)
2011/12 = 5 (Tiff, Bria, Faris 3)

Proof that when you can't afford to foul, UConn won't foul. ;)
Go Huskies..!!

Thank you. So, over the span of three seasons and about 115 games we have had eleven players foul out of games.

BFD

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The lineup needs two guards who can handle the ball. Johns article I have to agree with. Now with that said playing teams in exhibition Geno will try different lineups such as a one guard line with MoJeff. I don't see Tuck or KML as ball handlers. My guess is Chong starts and Nurse off the bench. If Chong is out played by Nurse down the road a couple of games perhaps Nurse starts and Chong comes off the bench. Chong knows the UConn system, and has experience with the team. IMO it would be unfair to start Nurse and put that kind of pressure on her even though she played for Team Canada she still needs time under Geno. Tuck and KML are not ball handler and to have either one of them up top handling the ball puts them out of position. JMO

You must believe it. You said it twice. Neither Morgan nor Kaleena can handle a basketball.

Even when coached for three years or so by that incomparable developer of talent, Geno Auriemma.

I guess we're doomed afterall.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul