OT: - 5G Network? | The Boneyard

OT: 5G Network?

Reaction Score
Anyone using 5G yet? Any noticeable difference or benefits?

I'm debating on upgrading my phone, because with the pandemic I am doing a lot more business, including hotspot usage on my phone. They say its available in my area (T-mobile), but requires a 5G phone. Also the map shows varying signal strength from one street to the next. Not sure what that even means. For example good strength on one street and 2 blocks over excellent strength.

is it still in infantile stage, meaning wait a little longer before upgrading my phone? 5G would be the only reason for me to buy a new phone again because the pandemic means I'm home much more and not out and about (or traveling).

I should note that I am okay with 4g, and have more connectivity problems using wifi than cellular, when streaming music and videos. But I'm bored and ansy and have always had a mild addiction to having the latest tech.

Bottom line: For those who have it, are you impressed?

Reaction Score
Anyone using 5G yet? Any noticeable difference or benefits?

I'm debating on upgrading my phone, because with the pandemic I am doing a lot more business, including hotspot usage on my phone. They say its available in my area (T-mobile), but requires a 5G phone. Also the map shows varying signal strength from one street to the next. Not sure what that even means. For example good strength on one street and 2 blocks over excellent strength.

is it still in infantile stage, meaning wait a little longer before upgrading my phone? 5G would be the only reason for me to buy a new phone again because the pandemic means I'm home much more and not out and about (or traveling).

I should note that I am okay with 4g, and have more connectivity problems using wifi than cellular, when streaming music and videos. But I'm bored and ansy and have always had a mild addiction to having the latest tech.

Bottom line: For those who have it, are you impressed?
I don't have 5G (though I'm picking up my preordered iPhone on Friday) but from everything I've read, 5G provides a negligible improvement unless you live in San Francisco or the few other cities where millimeter wave 5G has been deployed. My phone is more than 3 years old and starting to break down. If I didn't already need to upgrade, 5G access wouldn't push me over the edge.

Reaction Score
I'm not giving up my Galaxy S5 until I absolutely have to. What number are they up to now?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
140484CF-01AD-44AF-A9A0-D8D2576EE236.png

i see no difference being on 5g

Reaction Score
I work for AT&T on CRAN program but servicing NYC & NJ, not CT. 2021 is when we are starting our 5G build. It hasn’t quite been built out yet but it’s coming

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Don’t upgrade just to get a 5G phone, but if this is the year that you‘re due for an upgrade, and you intend on keeping your phone for a couple of years, it makes sense to get a 5G model.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don’t upgrade just to get a 5G phone, but if this is the year that you‘re due for an upgrade, and you intend on keeping your phone for a couple of years, it makes sense to get a 5G model.
This is my debate. I have an iPhone 6, which tells you how long I hold on to things. I am overdue for an upgrade and was holding off for the next model, figuring I'd either get that or the now-cheaper 11. But I would probably want a Pro and it looks like they've discontinued that in the 11, so I may as well get the 12 and be ready for 5G when it truly gets here, seeing as I will likely keep my next phone for five-plus years as well.

Reaction Score
This is my debate. I have an iPhone 6, which tells you how long I hold on to things. I am overdue for an upgrade and was holding off for the next model, figuring I'd either get that or the now-cheaper 11. But I would probably want a Pro and it looks like they've discontinued that in the 11, so I may as well get the 12 and be ready for 5G when it truly gets here, seeing as I will likely keep my next phone for five-plus years as well.
This was exactly my logic too. I have an 8, but its physically breaking down. Just FYI, both the 12 and the 12 Pro have 5G capabilities.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This was exactly my logic too. I have an 8, but its physically breaking down. Just FYI, both the 12 and the 12 Pro have 5G capabilities.
Thanks. I understand that both the 12 regular and Pro have 5G; I was thinking Pro with the 11 for the larger size, but I don't know what the size differences are for the 12 yet and whether that will make a difference for me.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The iPhone 12 and the iPhone 12 Pro are the same size. They both have a larger screen than the 11 Pro, but a similar body size.

The 12 Mini will obviously be smaller and the 12 Pro Max will obviously be larger.

Reaction Score
I'm in the market for a new Iphone as well. Debating between XR, 11 or 12 as the first two have had their prices reduced by $100. Is there a big difference between the 3 besides the eventual 5G benefit on the 12?

Reaction Score
I'm in the market for a new Iphone as well. Debating between XR, 11 or 12 as the first two have had their prices reduced by $100. Is there a big difference between the 3 besides the eventual 5G benefit on the 12?
I got the 11 only because I was on the 6s for years and it just stopped charging (and beyond slow). I like it a lot and don't plan on rushing to upgrade for a couple of years.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I don't have 5G (though I'm picking up my preordered iPhone on Friday) but from everything I've read, 5G provides a negligible improvement unless you live in San Francisco or the few other cities where millimeter wave 5G has been deployed. My phone is more than 3 years old and starting to break down. If I didn't already need to upgrade, 5G access wouldn't push me over the edge.
This is the exact situation I'm in as well. I'm an android user, and preordered a Pixel 5 which is 5G and goes back to the fingerprint scanner (my wife has the facial recognition feature and it is not worth it imho). I'm in Westport and early fall had Verizon trucks outside my office putting 5G lines up, so it is coming, but I wouldn't spend a lot for 5G just for 5G. I think Fishy put it well above - if you hold on to phones and need a new phone it probably makes sense to get one with 5G.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Another thing to consider is the current 5G phones all have an external 5G modem and they use a lot of power. The next generation of 5G phones should have the modem built into the SOC which will make them more efficient - ie. longer battery life.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My wife's iPhone 12 came today. We held off her upgrade from her 8+ (hold things less than you it seems). I'd do it. It's a nice device.

I don't expect 5G to have much benefit to phone users. Speed is rarely an issue now. The main benefit would seem to be in using your phone as a wifi hotspot. Most of the 5G benefit won't accrue directly to consumers, but it will impact the connected device category (e.g. driverless cars) and should help bring internet to rural areas. There is a forward looking plan to replace corporate wifi networks with private 5G networks, which will improve security. It will help improve the work from anywhere environment.

Reaction Score
My wife's iPhone 12 came today. We held off her upgrade from her 8+ (hold things less than you it seems). I'd do it. It's a nice device.

I don't expect 5G to have much benefit to phone users. Speed is rarely an issue now. The main benefit would seem to be in using your phone as a wifi hotspot. Most of the 5G benefit won't accrue directly to consumers, but it will impact the connected device category (e.g. driverless cars) and should help bring internet to rural areas. There is a forward looking plan to replace corporate wifi networks with private 5G networks, which will improve security. It will help improve the work from anywhere environment.
My wife just picked up her iPhone 12 at the Apple store today. I explained to her that the 5G isn't going to do her much good the in the next year so she shouldn't do it yet. She had an iPhone 11 that's about a year old. But of course my wife is like a little kid and has to always have the newest things. Except her "things" are way more expensive than a kid's things!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife just picked up her iPhone 12 at the Apple store today. I explained to her that the 5G isn't going to do her much good the in the next year so she shouldn't do it yet. She had an iPhone 11 that's about a year old. But of course my wife is like a little kid and has to always have the newest things. Except her "things" are way more expensive than a kid's things!
Well I guess the upside is that you obviously have the money to burn!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Damn. No point in upgrading an 11. I got my daughter an 11 in June. The 8 and 8 plus were showing decreased battery life. No idea how @8893 is still rocking a 6. These things are vastly better than that generation. The XS I got used last year is absolutely going fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom