50 days until the Olympics...when will 5x5 roster be announced? | The Boneyard

50 days until the Olympics...when will 5x5 roster be announced?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
We're getting pretty close to crunch time here, would think an announcement is imminent. With Rhyne Howard named to 3x3 team, she's off the board.

I bet figuring out Chelsea Gray and Griner's health is biggest question mark holding up announcement, in addition to what to do with Caitlin Clark and Diana Taurasi (players who I think based solely on performance do not deserve to make team, but there are many other factors at play).

Folks who have made a good case for themselves in the league who may be on fence:
  • D. Hamby
  • K. Copper
  • A. Gray
Folks whose case may have faltered based on league play thus far:
  • A. Boston.
  • A. Atkins
  • C. Clark
If Griner can't go and committee thinks Boston hasn't shown enough, B. Jones is not a bad option at center at all.

Reaction Score
We're getting pretty close to crunch time here, would think an announcement is imminent. With Rhyne Howard named to 3x3 team, she's off the board.

I bet figuring out Chelsea Gray and Griner's health is biggest question mark holding up announcement, in addition to what to do with Caitlin Clark and Diana Taurasi (players who I think based solely on performance do not deserve to make team, but there are many other factors at play).

Folks who have made a good case for themselves in the league who may be on fence:
  • D. Hamby
  • K. Copper
  • A. Gray
Folks whose case may have faltered based on league play thus far:
  • A. Boston.
  • A. Atkins
  • C. Clark
If Griner can't go and committee thinks Boston hasn't shown enough, B. Jones is not a bad option at center at all.
Have Bri Jones been to any camps? Likewise for Hamby? I’d assume the only players being seriously considered have been to USA camps in the last two years with the lone expedition being CC.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Have Bri Jones been to any camps? Likewise for Hamby? I’d assume the only players being seriously considered have been to USA camps in the last two years with the lone expedition being CC.
Hamby has been working with both the 5x5 and 3x3 teams. In fact, based on her work in 2023, I thought she might be considered for the 3x3 team (particularly the role taken by Burdick). Perhaps the U.S.A. Selection Committee is considering her as an option, given Griner's situation.

Jones, of course, was on the last FIBA World Cup winner, but she's also been on 3x3 teams. As noted, she could also be in play, given Griner's status.

Here are some notes on Hamby from the U.S.A. web page:
  • Gold Medal: 2023 FIBA 3x3 AmeriCup
  • Teams: 2023 USA 3x3 Women's AmeriCup Team, 2023 USA Women's National Team, 2022 USA Women's World Cup Qualifying Team.
  • Honors: 2023 FIBA 3x3 AmeriCup MVP
  • 2023:
    • Claimed MVP honors and helped the USA to gold at the 2023 FIBA 3x3 AmeriCup in San Juan, Puerto Rico, after leading the team in scoring (6.6 ppg), total key assists (10) and rebounding (7.0 rpg).
    • Hit the game-winning shot as time expired in the gold medal game to seal the win over Brazil. The team trailed 13-19 with two minutes to play and won 21-20.
    • Named to the 2023 USA Women's 3x3 AmeriCup Team (11/27/23).
    • Invited to the 2023 USA Women’s National Team November training camp in Atlanta and played in the USA-Duke exhibition Nov. 12 in Durham, North Carolina.
And Jones:
  • Gold Medals: 2022 FIBA Women's World Cup, 2021 FIBA 3x3 Women's AmeriCup, 2015 World University Games.
  • 2022:
    • As a member of the 2022 USA World Cup Team, averaged 10.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.6 apg and 1.0 spg in 7 games. USA went 8-0 en route to securing fourth consecutive World Cup title in Sydney.
    • Named to the 2022 USA World Cup Qualifying Team (2/7/22). Scored 14 points against Belgium and scored 12 points against Puerto Rico.
  • 2021:
    • Helped lead the 2021 USA 3x3 AmeriCup Team to a 5-0 mark and the gold medal at the inaugural event in Miami.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

This article claims its

DT* Chelsea* Sabrina Loyd* Plum Young
Aja* Pheesa* Copper Stewie* AlyssaT Griner*
Save for the status of Brittany Griner and Chelsea Gray, this list seems virtually pre-ordained, particularly the way Copper has played this season.

One person/candidate I feel for is Allisha Gray, who was a bravura performer in the 3x3 in Tokyo and has shown she can play on the 5x5 squad. I wonder if she was offered a chance to play in the 3x3 again and deferred/declined. Otherwise, she's on the outside looking in with a 3x3 squad that she easily could've starred on. (Will they have a "taxi" squad, in case someone can't play/make it? If so, Gray would strike me as next up because she can play the 2 and 3.)

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Apologies, as The Athletic articles are not sharable, unlike the rest of the NYT.

The main roster indicates a preference for veterans with the selection of A’ja Wilson, Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi, Brittney Griner, Alyssa Thomas, Napheesa Collier, Jewell Loyd, Kelsey Plum, Jackie Young, Sabrina Ionescu, Chelsea Gray and Kahleah Copper, those sources said.
Seven of the 12 players have Olympic five-on-five experience and two more have 3×3 experience, so there will be only three first-time Olympians — Thomas, Copper and Ionescu.
The roster was selected by the women’s basketball committee, which includes South Carolina coach and former Team USA coach Dawn Staley, three-time Olympian and LSU assistant Seimone Augustus, two-time Olympian and Old Dominion coach Delisha Milton-Jones, Connecticut Sun president Jennifer Rizzotti and WNBA head of league operations Bethany Donaphin.
It’s not entirely surprising that she didn’t make the team. The reality is the U.S. women’s basketball team, winners of seven consecutive Olympic gold medals, is the strongest collection of basketball talent in the world.

Reaction Score
Apologies, as The Athletic articles are not sharable, unlike the rest of the NYT.

The main roster indicates a preference for veterans with the selection of A’ja Wilson, Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi, Brittney Griner, Alyssa Thomas, Napheesa Collier, Jewell Loyd, Kelsey Plum, Jackie Young, Sabrina Ionescu, Chelsea Gray and Kahleah Copper, those sources said.
Seven of the 12 players have Olympic five-on-five experience and two more have 3×3 experience, so there will be only three first-time Olympians — Thomas, Copper and Ionescu.
The roster was selected by the women’s basketball committee, which includes South Carolina coach and former Team USA coach Dawn Staley, three-time Olympian and LSU assistant Seimone Augustus, two-time Olympian and Old Dominion coach Delisha Milton-Jones, Connecticut Sun president Jennifer Rizzotti and WNBA head of league operations Bethany Donaphin.
It’s not entirely surprising that she didn’t make the team. The reality is the U.S. women’s basketball team, winners of seven consecutive Olympic gold medals, is the strongest collection of basketball talent in the world.
Unfortunate that the young ones aren't being brought along....Setting us up for quite the challenge in '28.....Especially since I believe the world cup in '26 will be played by college players only meaning the young up and comers will have almost ZERO big stage international experience (with the exception of Brink and Howard in 3x3) leading up to LA. I guess USA wants to drum up some drama for the Games at home to make it more competitive!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Save for the status of Brittany Griner and Chelsea Gray, this list seems virtually pre-ordained, particularly the way Copper has played this season.

The only person/candidate I feel for is Allisha Gray, who was a bravura performer in the 3x3 in Tokyo and has shown she can play on the 5x5 squad. I wonder if she was offered a chance to play in the 3x3 again and deferred/declined. Otherwise, she's on the outside looking in with a 3x3 squad that she easily could've starred on. (Will they have a "taxi" squad, in case someone can't play/make it? If so, Gray would strike me as next up because she can play the 2 and 3.)
Allisha Gray is more than worthy; there are glut of really good wings, and with the team making the decision to keep DT on leadership/experience/history/etc; makes it even harder.

In this group I put:

K. Copper
A. Gray
R. Howard
A. Ogunbowale
K. McBride
B. Sykes
B. Laney-Hamilton
A. Atkins

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Allisha Gray is more than worthy; there are glut of really good wings, and with the team making the decision to keep DT on leadership/experience/history/etc; makes it even harder.

In this group I put:

K. Copper
A. Gray
R. Howard
A. Ogunbowale
K. McBride
B. Sykes
B. Laney-Hamilton
A. Atkins
Regarding the 5x5:
  • Yes, there really many slots once the DT decision was firmed up. At one point, Ionescu might've been a bit iffy, but she has World Cup experience; can play multiple roles, has played more like "Sabrina" recently and has a bit of the "it" factor.
  • If one bases a "taxi squad" on recent performance, the player I'd look at is Kayla McBride, who has been on a tear in the Euros and, now, the WNBA. She's shooting high 40s overall and if anyone knows how to play her role on team, she's it.
  • BTW, I'd include Marina Mabrey on that list, too, who is right in the middle of so many of those wings statistically and has not shied away defensively, as well. Plus, she's another multi-faceted guard.

3x3:
- Many articles have stated the 5x5 committee favored experience. Well, if that's the case, how does Gray -- who only has a gold medal from Tokyo -- not make the 3x3 roster along with/instead of her Atlanta Dream colleague, Rhyne Howard? And I'm still not sure of the Van Lith appointment. I think there's a heavy degree of wish fulfillment going on with that committee. Hope I'm wrong, but we'll see...

Reaction Score
chelsea gray is the only one on that list that is a maybe for being replaced

Reaction Score
26 Sabrina Young
27 Aja Pheesa
29 Copper Stewie Plum
30 Loyd
31 Chelsea
32 AlyssaT
33 Griner
42 DT

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunate that the young ones aren't being brought along....Setting us up for quite the challenge in '28....
?
8 of the 12 are 30 or younger and would easily be able to play in 2028
And Gray AT and Griner would be within playing age too.

I figure 7-9 of those will be back, with Rhyne Clark Brink Paige Boston Reese Juju in contention

Dillon77

Reaction Score
chelsea gray is the only one on that list that is a maybe for being replaced
In Chelsea Gray's case, I guess it's all about the recovery. Is she really ready to go? And is she really read to go full-bore against some pretty top teams?

And, then you have to take into account injuries. I believe you can replace a player on the roster up to, but not after, the time the team begins the tournament (see Jackie Young for KLS on the 3x3 tournament in Tokyo).

You'd have to think the committee has a taxi squad set in their minds, if not discussed with, several players if that happens.

In my mind, some folks to call:
  • Bigs: B. Jones, A. Boston, D. Hamby
  • Wings: Allisha Gray
  • Shooting Guards: Kayla McBride (best shooting guard in the league right now)
  • Point Guard: Natasha Cloud, Skylar Diggins-Smith
  • Combo Guard: Caitlin Clark

Reaction Score
?
8 of the 12 are 30 or younger and would easily be able to play in 2028
And Gray AT and Griner would be within playing age too.

I figure 7-9 of those will be back, with Rhyne Clark Brink Paige Boston Reese Juju in contention
I will be shocked if more than 5 find their way back. What were the ages last time around? In general, I think players in their late twenties are in their prime. The players in their late twenties next time around will have almost zero experience.

Reaction Score
I will be shocked if more than 5 find their way back. What were the ages last time around? In general, I think players in their late twenties are in their prime. The players in their late twenties next time around will have almost zero experience.

2021:
Median age last time was 30
7 of those returned this time

2016:
Median age: 30
6 of those returned

If Sabrina and Young return in 28 with 4 newbies, the median age will again be 30.

Aja Pheesa should be back.

That leaves 4 spots.

If Griner wants to return, she will be back because you don’t turn down having a 6’8 person in your back pocket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom