Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
"Clutch......city."

Thank you again, Dave Teggart.

uconnusf2.jpg

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
That is one that I will never forget. It was the first leg of my honeymoon. We had a pretty nice crowd - filled one large section and a smaller section next to it. I believe there was a women's game in the area so we had some crossover fans attend. We were in the next to last row and there were some jack@ss hecklers standing behind our seats, talking smack for the entire second half. Until the last kick, of course. It was also the only time I've gotten on TV during a football game, which was an extra bonus since the shot includes "UConn Big East Champions" in it.

Reaction Score
Not sure I've sobered up yet.

In hindsight, that kick and what followed, was an absolute PR nightmare. No fault of its own, the program went from hard-nosed program on the fast track to examples 1 through 100 of what was wrong with college FB. For one month, UCONN football was a national joke. Bad team, bad conference, bad players, unworthy! And that was the good stuff. The absolute definition of unintended consequences.

Then the game became an "I told you so," for our media friends. And the BS reports on ticket sales and fan support? It never let up.

And last but not least, Messrs. Hathaway, PP and GDL came along and decided, "What the hell. It's just a dumpster fire. Who brought the gasoline?" A nail the coffin didn't need.

Faster and further than Tiger Wood's (deserved) fall from grace. If Teggart had missed, some other school would have become the media punching bag, UCONN would still have been co-champs, gone to a (albeit lesser) bowl and the FB program wouldn't be spending so much money on tarnish remover.

Reaction Score
In hindsight, that kick and what followed, was an absolute PR nightmare. No fault of its own, the program went from hard-nosed program on the fast track to examples 1 through 100 of what was wrong with college FB. For one month, UCONN football was a national joke. Bad team, bad conference, bad players, unworthy! And that was the good stuff. The absolute definition of unintended consequences.

Then the game became an "I told you so," for our media friends. And the BS reports on ticket sales and fan support? It never let up.

And last but not least, Messrs. Hathaway, PP and GDL came along and decided, "What the hell. It's just a dumpster fire. Who brought the gasoline?" A nail the coffin didn't need.

Faster and further than Tiger Wood's (deserved) fall from grace. If Teggart had missed, some other school would have become the media punching bag, UCONN would still have been co-champs, gone to a (albeit lesser) bowl and the FB program wouldn't be spending so much money on tarnish remover.
Thanks for your contribution..... That's all I'm going to say.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

You hate puppies and bl^wjobs, don't you?

Reaction Score

Note only is that dumb, it's not corect. We would not have been co-champs. We would have finished 4-3 and behind both Pitt and WVU who finished 5-2.

Reaction Score
Note only is that dumb, it's not corect. We would not have been co-champs. We would have finished 4-3 and behind both Pitt and WVU who finished 5-2.
small point. I think he has the basic gist down correctly. In fact I think he could have added that this game was the final straw in the old BCS system. The perception was that bad . . .

Reaction Score
gars44 said:
small point. I think he has the basic gist down correctly. In fact I think he could have added that this game was the final straw in the old BCS system. The perception was that bad . . .

There was always going to be a playoff. Let's not be overly dramatic.

Reaction Score

Faster and further than Tiger Wood's (deserved) fall from grace. If Teggart had missed, some other school would have become the media punching bag, UCONN would still have been co-champs, gone to a (albeit lesser) bowl and the FB program wouldn't be spending so much money on tarnish remover.[/QUOTE

The main take-away form his post should be seen as "all that is wrong with college football" not that he was slamming UConn. The UConn program was reaping the rewar for doing all the right things in their evolution from D2 to BCS program. They had proved they belonged, but .... I'm sure TV and the Fiesta Bowl people would have preferred any number of the same old cast of characters. Like in basketball, which national championship game would the networks prefer UConn v Butler in 2011 or UConn v Kentucky in 2014? The broadcast suits can never get enough of Kentucky, screw upstart Butler, never mind they earned the right to be there.

That I believe is the point of Fairtides post.

Reaction Score
It was definitely the final nail in the old Big East.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Great day. Got to Tampa Friday night. Spent Saturday morning at Busch Gardens with my son hitting up all the roller coasters. Got back to hotel, freshened up. Met up with my sister and a very gracious group of USF alums and had a good pregame. Teggart put the cherry on top of the cake.

Looking back on it, only a mid day trip to the local Cracker Barrell could have made it better.

Reaction Score
That's honestly been my private thoughts for the last 5 years. There were murmurs and obv the process was already started but I feel that the public outcry and us going to the Fiesta Bowl was the final "nail in the coffin" and sped up CR faster than anyone anticipated. Obv the wheels were already in motion but I really believe that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom