5 Takeaways From UConn's 56-17 Season-Opening Loss To UCF (Putterman) | The Boneyard

5 Takeaways From UConn's 56-17 Season-Opening Loss To UCF (Putterman)

Reaction Score
We know the challenges UConn faces defensively. It's gonna be an ugly uphill battle to competence.

Please just let Pindell stay healthy this year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I rewatched the game.

-AJ Garson maybe probably played less than 8 snaps at DE, but he actually affected the play three times. Go back and watch, he has a decent first step and more edge speed than anyone else we rolled out. We need Pierce DeVaughn’s ankle to heal because he probably will be the only other guy with edge speed. I have high expectations for Uguak to bring some edge quickness but I did not see it Thursday.
-OL play was a mess, especially whenever we pulled G and OTs. Need to get that fixed or just do less pulling. Both Leone and Haynes looked decent at guard, problem seemed to be everyone else. Van DeMark had a rough game and Peart not much better.
-we should try to run more outside the tackles and see what happens.
-obviously we need more effort to stretch the field with a long ball. Also I don’t think our WR run their routes at full speed which makes it easy for defenses to cover. I think our WR don’t want to outrun Pindell’s arm.
-what happened to RB screens? We should try a couple with Scott.
-swenson’s first 1/2 was much better than his second 1/2.
-terry looks the same as last year, meanwhile tahj has improved at corner.
-whenever we blitzed, Milton did the right counter throw to torch us. Many of their big gains were on blitz defense.
-lots of guys couldn’t get off blocks, gotta hope UCF is just awesome all over, otherwise not sure how that problem fixes itself inseason.
-we need more aggressive play from our husky LB and safeties. Hit somebody please! We might have had no more than three strong tackles all night. I know we had only one PD, while UCF had nine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We got 7 tackles from our LBs and Beavers had only 1. We got torched every time they blitzed. To my eye it may be the biggest area of weakness.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That guy sucks. Captain obvious.

Yeah...Putterman needs to dig a lot deeper. Exit 4 gave a much better analysis. Hopefully along with the Huskies, his game gets better.

Reaction Score
Sure didn't seem like we had the ball for 2/3rds of that game, lol.

In simplistic terms, UCF scored a point about every 23 seconds in which they had the ball.

The pace of UCF's offense accounted for that. They probably hike the ball about 10 seconds on average after each play.

Reaction Score
When we blitzed ... Milton easily made a simple fake and threw our guy spinning. Terry twice. It was amusing - except he burned us long both times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom