5 Storylines To Watch As UConn Football Enters Training Camp - Courant | The Boneyard

5 Storylines To Watch As UConn Football Enters Training Camp - Courant

Reaction Score
Nice article out of the Hartford Courant to start out training camp: "5 Storylines To Watch As UConn Football Enters Training Camp"

5 Storylines To Watch As UConn Football Enters Training Camp

My opinion on each point:

1. Pindell does a complete 180 from the start he had in game 1 last year... Mentally he wasn't ready, yet, he was probably the most talented QB we had...With a year under his belt, and this being the last hoorah for him, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he plays great football for us at the QB position and shuts up all the naysayers

2. Who will get reps at RB? My darkhorse candidate is none other than Dante Black.. Something about them Georgia RBs ... Hopkins has shown he can be our bell cow in the redzone. Now, in his 3rd season, he'll keep doing that (Texas RB). Mensah will be better, and I'm sure we'll see Scott back there.. It's nice to have depth at the position.. it's been awhile

3 &4. Grouping this together Heavy Comp & inexperience on D and Freshman Factor: I see most of it on D... Like I said on O, at RB, my darkhorse is Dante Black, but most of the frosh support has to come at DB, LB, and DE.. We were worn down at the end of games on D last year, now we have a little more depth on that side of the ball.. Hopefully enough talent to stick around a little longer and games and surprise some folks (DE/OLB positions are key)

5. Red Pants players vs. Edsall 2.0 players - If we can get guys like Murphy, Brouse, Atkins, Okounam, & Freeborn to buy in to the Edsall 2.0 way and take their game to another level, thus setting the tone for the underclassmen, then we might be quite a bit better than folks think.. These guys are the done after this year (attrition) or next season. Why not go out with a bang....

All in all, I've always looked at UConn Football as a glass half full program. Under Coach P and Disco, that thinking was way off base... With Edsall, I see more a realistic guy, who knows how to prepare his kids to go out and try and win a football game. Year 1 is done, over with... We've got winnable games... (IMO, half at least, maybe a 7th).

Here's hoping we truly #RiseAsOne and get this program back on track to having winning seasons year in and year out..

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Nice article out of the Hartford Courant to start out training camp: "5 Storylines To Watch As UConn Football Enters Training Camp"

5 Storylines To Watch As UConn Football Enters Training Camp

My opinion on each point:

1. Pindell does a complete 180 from the start he had in game 1 last year... Mentally he wasn't ready, yet, he was probably the most talented QB we had...With a year under his belt, and this being the last hoorah for him, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he plays great football for us at the QB position and shuts up all the naysayers

2. Who will get reps at RB? My darkhorse candidate is none other than Dante Black.. Something about them Georgia RBs ... Hopkins has shown he can be our bell cow in the redzone. Now, in his 3rd season, he'll keep doing that (Texas RB). Mensah will be better, and I'm sure we'll see Scott back there.. It's nice to have depth at the position.. it's been awhile

3 &4. Grouping this together Heavy Comp & inexperience on D and Freshman Factor: I see most of it on D... Like I said on O, at RB, my darkhorse is Dante Black, but most of the frosh support has to come at DB, LB, and DE.. We were worn down at the end of games on D last year, now we have a little more depth on that side of the ball.. Hopefully enough talent to stick around a little longer and games and surprise some folks (DE/OLB positions are key)

5. Red Pants players vs. Edsall 2.0 players - If we can get guys like Murphy, Brouse, Atkins, Okounam, & Freeborn to buy in to the Edsall 2.0 way and take their game to another level, thus setting the tone for the underclassmen, then we might be quite a bit better than folks think.. These guys are the done after this year (attrition) or next season. Why not go out with a bang....

All in all, I've always looked at UConn Football as a glass half full program. Under Coach P and Disco, that thinking was way off base... With Edsall, I see more a realistic guy, who knows how to prepare his kids to go out and try and win a football game. Year 1 is done, over with... We've got winnable games... (IMO, half at least, maybe a 7th).

Here's hoping we truly #RiseAsOne and get this program back on track to having winning seasons year in and year out..

I think you'll find that those players not fully buying in last year are gone. That includes the seniors plus the 10 players who will either forego remaining eligibility and transfers.

Reaction Score
I’ll play...

1. My gut is that Pindell will be better after being with the program a year. He definitely showed signs when he played after BS went down. 52%/4TDs/6Ints still scare me though. Time to #earnit. There are young ones waiting in the wings for a shot if things aren’t working out.

2. Mensah is good. Let’s hope whatever off the field issues are resolved and he leaves them in the rear view mirror. I like Hopkins too. Let’s see what impact 9 months of development has. Based on the spring and coach/teammate comments, I'm super excited for Scott. O’Reilly had a nice spring and may work his way in. Everyone else I will reserve judgment until we see them live. Probably enough talent to now be considered a deep position. We will see.

3&4. This will make or break the season. We are YOUNG, especially on D. Success will hinge on how fast our development is. I think we have more of the athletes we need, but I still think success as defined by the won-loss record is a year away. I hope I am proven wrong.

5. I agree the Diaco recruits who were not a good fit for what Edsall is trying to do are gone, with those remaining having bought in. If they haven’t bought in by now, they won’t see the field much. There are enough Edsall recruits now to fill in if the Diaco guys aren’t cutting it.

Reaction Score

The fact that these guys are still here, in camp and contributing makes a solid statement to their dedication.

Reaction Score
Murphy (by Edsall) and Atkins (by Crocker) have been mentioned in a positive and public way in the past few days. That is a good thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom