OT: - OT: 5 Favorite Boxers? The ones you wanted to watch every fight | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: OT: 5 Favorite Boxers? The ones you wanted to watch every fight

Reaction Score
Joe Frazier- A lot of people believe he actually won 2 out of the three fights with Ali. I think he got robbed in the second fight. But you knew going in that, even if you had an edge, Ali would get the decision. There were quite a few fights Ali could have easily lost, but the judges scored in his favor. Which is why I believe Ali was the most over rated athlete ever and Joe Frazier was one of the most underrated ever

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Joe Frazier- A lot of people believe he actually won 2 out of the three fights with Ali. I think he got robbed in the second fight. But you knew going in that, even if you had an edge, Ali would get the decision. There were quite a few fights Ali could have easily lost, but the judges scored in his favor. Which is why I believe Ali was the most over rated athlete ever and Joe Frazier was one of the most underrated ever
Agree, somewhat, but don’t forget Frazier also lost to Norton and Foreman.

Reaction Score
Foreman killed Frazier, dribbled him around the ring like a basketball
That was because of the style difference. Frazier was an aggressive go at you fighter. Ali avoided fighting Foremen until Foreman tired out. Ali grasped, held and rope a doped for seven rounds. Foreman tired and was there to be taken. If Ali attempted to fight from the beginning of the fight he would have suffered the same fate. You noticed there was no second fight. That was because Dundee feared Foreman would not fall for the same strategy a second time.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
mike 'everybody has a plan 'till I hit them' tyson. might just as well call this vid top ten 'boxers looking funny falling down.'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ole smoken Joe was 1w 5L against top 5 .Ali ,big George,Norton.The rest of his fights were against bus drivers and barbacks.2 victories over top light heavies,I don't know why the fascination

CL82

Reaction Score
Ole smoken Joe was 1w 5L against top 5 .Ali ,big George,Norton.The rest of his fights were against bus drivers and barbacks.2 victories over top light heavies,I don't know why the fascination
Mmm seems unlikely since his overall record is 32-4-1. (27 Knockouts.)

Reaction Score
Your right he never fought norton.the poster above mentioned he lost to Norton,thanks for double check

Reaction Score
If you ever saw Hartford's own Willie Pep box (I did), then you have no doubt who was the greatest boxer, pound for pound, who ever lived -- and by far the most fun to watch. He was occasionally defeated by brute strength, but he was never once outboxed. There were matches in which he was never so much as grazed. .

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
This is pro boxing related and I thought it was hilarious especially during quarantine

Reaction Score
I'm an old fart so most of these were either Wide World of Sports or early HBO:

1. Ali (Boxing's Michael Jordan)
2. Roberto Duran (smaller Mike Tyson)
3. Alexis Arguello (so Masterful)
4. Thomas Hearns (fought Leonard too early)
5. Pernell Whitaker (Crafty as they come)

Honorable mention: Shoutout to Hector Comacho (flashy as hell, but backed it up)

Who you got?

For pure enjoyment:

1. Arturo Gati (all action)
2. Felix Trinidad
3. Mike Tyson
4. Marco Antonio Baerrera
5. Manny Pacquiao

Btw. First time I saw a young Pacquiao was when he absolutely blitzed Barrera. I am not sure I have ever seen such an overwhelming offensive fighter. Was so explosive.

Reaction Score
The admirable thing about Ali is that he ducked nobody. It led to his downfall in later ages. His boxing skills were not overated (perhaps your referring to his power). He was smart, quick and had stamina like no other. He never ever quit in a fight, even when he lost. I think his biggest attribute is that he showed no fear (even though I'm sure he had it). Ali was a promoter, bragger who simply could back up his words. A lot of people really hated him, but he just wouldn't lose. He was a showman in and out of the ring. He may not have actually been the greatest, but he sold the World that he was, and the world (including myself) believed it.

As for Frazier, well he was just an animal. A pit bull who seemed to think every round was the 1st round, in other words he was relentless. He farked Ali up bad and accelerated his demise. Prime Frazier vs Prime Tyson would have been probably the greatest fight ever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was because of the style difference. Frazier was an aggressive go at you fighter. Ali avoided fighting Foremen until Foreman tired out. Ali grasped, held and rope a doped for seven rounds. Foreman tired and was there to be taken. If Ali attempted to fight from the beginning of the fight he would have suffered the same fate. You noticed there was no second fight. That was because Dundee feared Foreman would not fall for the same strategy a second time.
Ran away and rope a dope can't happen at the same time. Ali didn't run from Foreman.

Reaction Score
Probably the best round ever fought between two heavy weights. Holyfield Bowe, 10th round. If there were 10 more seconds in this round, Holyfield would have finished Bowe.

Amazing fight that led to some incredible rematches between the two.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Probably the best round ever fought between two heavy weights. Holyfield Bowe, 10th round. If there were 10 more seconds in this round, Holyfield would have finished Bowe.

Amazing fight that led to some incredible rematches between the two.

Yep. Great round and Holyfield taking those hits early in the round and still coming back was awesome. That jab Bowe hit Holyfield with early in the round should be the text book video to show any boxer how to snap off a jab. I don't know if he puts Bowe down if round was 10 more seconds though.

CL82

Reaction Score
Prime Frazier vs Prime Tyson would have been probably the greatest fight ever.
Or maybe just the shortest.

Frazier’s boxing skills are underrated. While he was a straight ahead fighter, he was adept at slipping punches. He took a lot of punishment but less than he should have given his style and reach.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
You guys are seriously sleeping on James Toney.

Reaction Score
You guys are seriously sleeping on James Toney.
I think someone mentioned Rocky Marciano, but don't recall anyone mentioning boxers from boxings golden age like Joe Louis, Jersey Joe Walcott, Gene Tunney, Jack Dempsey the Manassa Mailer, Jess Willard, Jack Johnson, Jake LaMotta, Max Schmelling, Archie Moore, Ingemar Johansen, James J Corbett, Sonny Liston, James J Jefferies, and Ezzard Charles. Understand they're before our time, but still.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree, somewhat, but don’t forget Frazier also lost to Norton and Foreman.
Frazier lived or died with his left hook, if he couldn't connect with it he usually got clobbered.

CL82

Reaction Score
Frazier lived or died with his left hook, if he couldn't connect with it he usually got clobbered.
You have a good memory. That was his knockout punch, but he had a lot in arsenal, as you'd expect for a pro at the top of his game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom