OT: - OT: 5 Favorite Boxers? The ones you wanted to watch every fight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: OT: 5 Favorite Boxers? The ones you wanted to watch every fight

Reaction Score
wasn't there some cuban guy back in the day who many thought was 'all that?' or do I have that wrong? heavyweight?

Guillermo "El Chacal" Rigondeaux was arguably the top defensive fighter to ever enter the ring in the history of the sport. I believe he was Cuban.

Reaction Score
Too many to list,I can't pick 5.each great fighter brings a specific skill I won't choose one over the other,most are listed,usyk, betterbiev,Spence,Pryar,bivol,are left out,how can you only pick 5?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
ESPNnews showing De La Hoya v Chavez followed by De La Hoya v. Whitaker right now.

De La Hoya v Whitaker was interesting. Whitaker's speed and movement was surreal but Whitaker kept clowning with the grabs, drag downs and every thing. For 12 rounds, Whitaker, the champ, was never hurt or in trouble. He also landed the only called knockdown of the fight. But, De La Hoya kept the pressure for 12 rounds and I think that's what earned Oscar the win.

Fast forward two years against Trinidad, and De La Hoya does just the opposite. Instead of keeping the pressure for 12 rounds and beating Trinidad soundly, De La Hoya went on cruise control the last 3 rounds and lost.

Sometimes it seems even the best fighters in their primes listen to their corners too much and assume they have a fight in the bag when simply pressing on is the better play.

Reaction Score
De La Hoya v Whitaker was interesting. Whitaker's speed and movement was surreal but Whitaker kept clowning with the grabs, drag downs and every thing. For 12 rounds, Whitaker, the champ, was never hurt or in trouble. He also landed the only called knockdown of the fight. But, De La Hoya kept the pressure for 12 rounds and I think that's what earned Oscar the win.

Was that the first fight? If so, it's one of the great robberies in the history of boxing. Keeping the pressure on shouldn't matter if all you are doing is walking into punches.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Was that the first fight? If so, it's one of the great robberies in the history of boxing. Keeping the pressure on shouldn't matter if all you are doing is walking into punches.

It was the first fight. Real good fight to highlight differences in styles. As I said, Whitaker's defense was surreal. De La Hoya would throw combos of 5-6 punches and not land any. Whitaker used the dodge ball strategy of ducking, dipping, hedging and all Oscar hit was air.

Truth be told it was a boring fight other than from a technical viewpoint. No real good exchanges and I don't think either fighter hurt the other one at all.
Probably should have been 115-113 or 114 apiece. Traditional thinking is you have to do something to beat the champ and De La Hoya didn't do anything to beat Whitaker.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
lotsa folks here saying 'my guy is the best of all time.' them's fightin' words. lol.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Pernell -- Hot take, I think Sweet Pea in his prime (as a light welterweight or welterweight) beats prime Mayweather

Tyson -- Guys 50 and older really underrate how scary good he was before the wheels fell off his personal life.
Pacquaio
Big George during the comeback -- wasn't anything special but hard to not root for him.
Leonard
Actually the 86-90 college crew, all 50+, respected the hell out of Tyson. Had no choice. He was knocking fools out before the keg was tapped.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The Golden Era of boxing early 70's thru Tyson's heyday, provided for great boxing matchups, with a hard core heavyweight gauntlet division. This is who was around the corner for you in the heavyweight division in the 70s: By the way, no ranking other than Ali#1
Ali
Jimmy Young
George Foreman
Leon Spinks (and later Michael)
Smokin Joe
Frickin Ken Norton ( busted Ali up bad)
Jerry Quarry
Ernie Shavers (said to be one of the hardest hitters ever)
* My dad was a Ron Lyle fan but I did not actually see him fight. Respect nevertheless.

Edit: in the 70s

Reaction Score
1) Ali
2) Joe Frazier
3) Roberto Duran
4) Sugar Ray Leonard
5) Marvin Hagler

Reading suggestion: One of the Best Boxing Books of all time "Boxing Kings" (the history of Heavyweight Boxing from the beginning to Tyson)

Reaction Score
tyson all day

i hate boxing,brutal sport. i only watched it when tyson was on. the champ delivered

Reaction Score
1: "The Greatest" Muhammad Ali
2: Teofilo Stevenson, The Cuban Assasin. It's a crime and a shame to the sport of boxing that Stevenson and Ali never met in the ring.
3: Sugar Ray Leonard
4: Rocky Balboa. I've seen every one of his fights, from the comfort of my living room couch.
5: Joe Frazier. No one ever had to chase "Smokin Joe". He chased you.

Reaction Score
Interesting how Tommy Hearns isn't on more of these lists. The guy was electric even when he lost......oh and he got robbed by the Sugar Ray "draw". His utter thrashing of Duran was one of those fights where you remembered where you were when ya saw it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom