OT: - OT: 5 Favorite Boxers? The ones you wanted to watch every fight | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: OT: 5 Favorite Boxers? The ones you wanted to watch every fight

Reaction Score
  • Muhammad Ali - the Greatest, no explanation needed
  • Marvin Hagler - took the long, winding path to the top; legendary work ethic; classic fights
  • Joe Calzaghe - a winner, pure and simple; very underrated and underappreciated
  • Andre Ward - superb ring intelligence; master technician; great family man
  • GGG - one of the hardest pure punchers ever; granite chin; fan friendly style, "this is boxing"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because Hearns was the perceived heel at the time. I'm sorry I fell for it.

Only fight I remember Hearns being the "heel" would have been against Leonard. And that's not unexpected. I'm a bit too young to remember the behind the scene narratives but I didn't think Hearns was a heel against Hagler and I was rooting for Hagler. Same for Duran or any other big fight for Hearns.
My memory of Hearns was that of a long, lanky kid always getting in to the ring against physically stronger fighters.

Reaction Score
Only fight I remember Hearns being the "heel" would have been against Leonard. And that's not unexpected. I'm a bit too young to remember the behind the scene narratives but I didn't think Hearns was a heel against Hagler and I was rooting for Hagler. Same for Duran or any other big fight for Hearns.
My memory of Hearns was that of a long, lanky kid always getting in to the ring against physically stronger fighters.
Hearns had that Bruce Lee like power. Summoning all his muscle with each punch. He just had gifted power if you will.

I thougt he fought Ray too early, but nonetheless he messed up Sugar Ray's eye forever. Had he had waited a year or so, and gained some distance (late round boxing) experience he would have been unbeatable. I followed his whole career and saw greatness very early.

With that said Marvin Hagler kicked his arse. Hearns went up in division and paid a price partly because big boys hit harder and can take little boy's punches, at least until the fighter adjusts to the new weight class.

Goes to show you the level and number of great boxers back in the days.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hearns had that Bruce Lee like power. Summoning all his muscle with each punch. He just had gifted power if you will.

I think he fought Ray too early, but nonetheless he messed up Sugar Ray's eye forever. Had he had waited a year or so, and gained some distance (late round boxing) experience he would have been unbeatable. I followed his whole career and saw greatness very early.

With that said Marvin Hagler kicked his arse. Hearns went up in division and paid a price partly because big boys hit harder and can take little boy's punches at least until the fighter adjusts to the new weight class.

I'm hit and miss on Hitman's fight history. Some I remember clearly- Hagler because it was awesome and the second Sugar Ray fight because it was BS. But I don't have any memory of Hitman v Sugar Ray I or Hitman v. Duran.

Which brings me to my random rant. ESPN did awesome with the Top Rank catalog but they were showing the fight result on the scrolling bar at the bottom of the TV. Now I realize anyone with a cell phone can Google the result but some of them I honestly hadn't remembered the winner and wanted to watch just to see the result. Keep the result of the fight off the scroll. Thank you. I'm going back to watching weather radar now.

Reaction Score
People ENJOY watching Floyd Mayweather? Wild
If you are a hardcore boxing fan you can appreciate how technically sound/superior he is. He's an absolute magician in the ring it's a thing of beauty. Most people find him boring but that's cause they don't understand he is a counter puncher and wins by purely out boxing his opponents. He could be more offensive but why would he when he could mitigate taking hits and still win

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
If you are a hardcore boxing fan you can appreciate how technically sound/superior he is. He's an absolute magician in the ring it's a thing of beauty. Most people find him boring but that's cause they don't understand he is a counter puncher and wins by purely out boxing his opponents. He could be more offensive but why would he when he could mitigate taking hits and still win
As a hardcore casual fan who watches maybe 1 big fight every couple of years, I can appreciate how incredible his defensive abilities are, but it’s not entertaining to a casual observer. But his skill level and ability is completely separate from entertainment level.

I would’ve assumed hardcore boxing fans are sort of “anti-Floyd”, but I don’t know enough.

Reaction Score
As a hardcore casual fan who watches maybe 1 big fight every couple of years, I can appreciate how incredible his defensive abilities are, but it’s not entertaining to a casual observer. But his skill level and ability is completely separate from entertainment level.

I would’ve assumed hardcore boxing fans are sort of “anti-Floyd”, but I don’t know enough.

He fights within the rules, which are boring.

They need to change the points to increase when engaging an opponent. Floyd can run all day in a ring and win with points, not his fault that he mastered the system, but his fights are dull

Reaction Score
Ron Pallilo (Horshack) UConn grad
Danny Bonaduce
Jose Canseco
Tonya Harding
Vanilla Ice

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Interesting how Tommy Hearns isn't on more of these lists. The guy was electric even when he lost......oh and he got robbed by the Sugar Ray "draw". His utter thrashing of Duran was one of those fights where you remembered where you were when ya saw it.

I thougt he fought Ray too early, but nonetheless he messed up Sugar Ray's eye forever. Had he had waited a year or so, and gained some distance (late round boxing) experience he would have been unbeatable. I followed his whole career and saw greatness very early.

With that said Marvin Hagler kicked his arse. Hearns went up in division and paid a price partly because big boys hit harder and can take little boy's punches, at least until the fighter adjusts to the new weight class.

Had an emergency email this morning with a "you must complete this online, self-paced video training with no tests" from a supervisor this morning. So, I put on the Hearns v Duran fight on my cell phone. Now I really can't believe I don't remember that fight because that right cross from Hearns just melted Duran. Absolutely one of the better one punch KO's topped off with fighter just wilting and falling forward.

Reaction Score
He fights within the rules, which are boring.

They need to change the points to increase when engaging an opponent. Floyd can run all day in a ring and win with points, not his fault that he mastered the system, but his fights are dull

I also think that, as he aged, he went from masterful head and body movement and superior counterpunching to very good counterpunching, and grabbing/tying up his opponent if he got inside. Effective, but frustratingly ugly.

Hopkins is another one who just tied up anyone who got in punching range. I hated watching him fight.

Reaction Score

I love that whenever anyone says Mayweather isn't fun to watch, they get a lesson from a boxing "expert" on what they're missing.

Maybe he's just not fun to watch regardless of his "technical boxing" skillset?

Reaction Score
Most people watch boxing to see two fighters fight,not to watch someone throw jabs and run all night,never enjoyed a mayweather fight.people paid to see it too, smh.hagler vs ggg would have been a show fans would love to see

Reaction Score
I love that whenever anyone says Mayweather isn't fun to watch, they get a lesson from a boxing "expert" on what they're missing.

Maybe he's just not fun to watch regardless of his "technical boxing" skillset?
I've only watched his highlights, mostly because I was cured of my boxing fanaticism. For one who never watched a whole fight of his, can you recommend a match to watch? I've got time.

Reaction Score
Keith Thurman vs Shawn Porter, fight of the year candidate from 3yrs back.undefeated welters going toe to toe for 12rds.great fight

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Most people watch boxing to see two fighters fight,not to watch someone throw jabs and run all night,never enjoyed a mayweather fight.people paid to see it too, smh.hagler vs ggg would have been a show fans would love to see

GGG vs Hagler - two tough granite chains! Would be a brawl!

Lennox Lewis was s dominant heavyweight but was never too fan friendly due to his style . He did have some big KOs even though he jabbed alot... too me he was more entertaining than watching floyd's defense.

Reaction Score
I've only watched his highlights, mostly because I was cured of my boxing fanaticism. For one who never watched a whole fight of his, can you recommend a match to watch? I've got time.

NO. I can’t!!! Go watch round 1 of Hagler / Hearns instead of watching ANY Mayweather fight. Or any round of any Gatti / Ward fight.

Reaction Score
Ali Maybe the best of them all.
Joe Frazier One tough mutha
Marvin Hagler first fighter I ever saw in Brockton against Ray Seale. Everybody was laughing about Marvelous Marvin fighting the Olympic champ. Hagler made him look like a stiff
Never saw him but Rocky Marciano was great. Undefeated
I like watching George Foreman. Mediocre fighter but fun to watch.
I also like Telefero Stevenson the Cuban Olympic fighter. Guys who didn’t get knocked out considered themselves victorious.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Ali
Sugar Ray
George Foreman ( part 2 career).
Emanuel Augustus
Tyson

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ali
Sugar Ray
George Foreman ( part 2 career).
Emanuel Augustus
Tyson

Augustus put more damage on Mayweather than maybe any other fighter I can remember, granted it was early in Mayweather's career. He was also in a pretty brutal, nonstop fight with Mickey Ward.

Reaction Score
I'm an old fart so most of these were either Wide World of Sports or early HBO:

1. Ali (Boxing's Michael Jordan)
2. Roberto Duran (smaller Mike Tyson)
3. Alexis Arguello (so Masterful)
4. Thomas Hearns (fought Leonard too early)
5. Pernell Whitaker (Crafty as they come)

Honorable mention: Shoutout to Hector Comacho (flashy as hell, but backed it up)

Who you got?
The 1976 US Olympic Boxing team, among them.......

Leo Randolph
Mike Spinks
Howard Davis
Leon Spinks
Charles Mooney
Ray Leonard

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Augustus put more damage on Mayweather than maybe any other fighter I can remember, granted it was early in Mayweather's career. He was also in a pretty brutal, nonstop fight with Mickey Ward.
Yeah , things should’ve worked out better for him and he was robbed on a few decisions. Entertaining boxer.

Reaction Score
Not sure they're in my top 5 as individuals, but I could watch the Morales / Barrera trilogy every day and not get bored.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom