OT: - OT: 5 Favorite Boxers? The ones you wanted to watch every fight | The Boneyard

OT: OT: 5 Favorite Boxers? The ones you wanted to watch every fight

Reaction Score
I'm an old fart so most of these were either Wide World of Sports or early HBO:

1. Ali (Boxing's Michael Jordan)
2. Roberto Duran (smaller Mike Tyson)
3. Alexis Arguello (so Masterful)
4. Thomas Hearns (fought Leonard too early)
5. Pernell Whitaker (Crafty as they come)

Honorable mention: Shoutout to Hector Comacho (flashy as hell, but backed it up)

Who you got?

Reaction Score
Watched Sugar ray with my dad who introduced me to boxing. But as I got older I watched Tyson and Mayweather the most. I didn’t follow everyone until about late 90’s or so. Since then I’ve followed closely and it’s been the usual suspects. Mostly Mayweather because he was one those once in a generation talents. He did get boring to most as he got older, but if you watched him when he was younger, WOW! I think most people who bashed his style never watched him throughout his career. He just adjusted as he got older like any great in any sport. He was an absolute alien of a talent in his younger years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Favorites are mostly based on fighters who fought where I lived or had family live.

Roy Jones Jr- Lived in Gulf Coast of Florida. Also the best boxer I ever saw
Larry Holmes- Family from Eastern PA
Sweet Pea Whitaker- I lived in Va Beach
Marlon Starling- Hartford, duh
Marvin Hagler- Just liked his aggessiveness

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Sugar Ray Leonard
Mike Tyson
Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Butterbean
Good call. Definitely entertaining. Just saw him on a wrestling documentary about his involvement in, I think, 1 of the wrestlemanias. He legit boxed a wrestler and whooped on him.

Reaction Score
My boxing fandom was in a relatively short burst:

Marlon Starling
Marvin Hagler
Aaron Pryor
Dwight Braxton/Muhammad Qawi
Alexis Arguello (before AP)

So, most of your boxing was watched on NBC Sportsworld. Aaron Pryor, Arguello, Starling and that whole bunch fought a ton on Saturday afternoons NBC coverage.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So, most of your boxing was watched on NBC Sportsworld. Aaron Pryor, Arguello, Starling and that whole bunch fought a ton on Saturday afternoons NBC coverage.
If you asked me, I would have said "I don't think so". But there's the evidence!
But if irc, when Starling beat Breland, it was on ABC. But that fits because the pre-fight was just an extended Breland hype video.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You’re only allowed three great women in your lifetime
They come along like the great fighters, once every ten years
Rocky Marciano, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Lewis
Sometimes you get ‘em all at once
Me? I had my three when I was sixteen
That happens, what are you gonna do?
Maybe she’s your first great one
Thanks a lot, Sonny
I think I’m gonna go for one

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Going up in weight towards the end of his career kinda hurt his reputation if you weren't familiar with him

He could have fought cruiser and heavy weight in his late 20's and early 30's. Trying to fight 225 lbs guys in your late 30's is rarely a recipe for success. Super middleweight and light heavy weight was his sweet spot for speed and power.

Really by the time he fought Antonio Tarver the first time he was already 34 and had started to decline. By the third Tarver fight he was way past prime and riding steady in the over the hill lane.

Reaction Score
What about Rocky Marciano?
My question was who you watched, perhaps I should have clarified on TV or in person (live). Not sure of your age though, but I 'heard' he was one of the greats. I did watch Ali, when they started publicly televising his fights. His first Frazier fight was a PPV type fight I believe, so my brother and I heard the fight on the radio.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom