5>1, but not the one you're thinking of.. | The Boneyard

5>1, but not the one you're thinking of..

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nope not irrelevant Canadian school though. It's the number of national championships over the past 25 years Connecticut versus the entire Big Ten.

I was having a conversation with a big-time Purdue fan and he was spouting on what a great conference the big 10 is, so I just pointed out to him that over the last quarter of century, the Big Ten has won one national championship while Connecticut has won five.

I saw I would mention that, because it might come in handy as we approach the postseason.

(We are still doomed, though.)

Reaction Score
Nope not irrelevant Canadian school though. It's the number of national championships over the past 25 years Connecticut versus the entire Big Ten.

I was having a conversation with a big-time Purdue fan and he was spouting on what a great conference the big 10 is, so I just pointed out to him that over the last quarter of century, the Big Ten has won one national championship while Connecticut has won five.

I saw I would mention that, because it might come in handy as we approach the postseason.

(We are still doomed, though.)
It might be even more devastating for your Purdue fan to realize that, over the same period, his conference has the same number of championship as universities located north of the border have.

Reaction Score
And Nova has two more along with one for Finger Lakes State. We’ll leave out Slick Rick’s vacated title. That’s 8 to 1 between BE and B1G which is pretty staggering. That one MSU championship is in fact their only championship since Michigan got on and Indiana got a pair in the 80s.

I wonder how the conferences compare with total Sweet Sixteens, Elite Eights, Final Fours, and NC appearances.

CL82

Reaction Score
It might be even more devastating for your Purdue fan to realize that, over the same period, his conference has the same number of championship as universities located north of the border have.
Probably not, his whole shtick is that our record is artificially inflated because "we only play cupcakes." I pointed it out to him that Connecticut and Purdue have exactly the same number of quad I wins, 8, and he went on to say "well, we have to play all our conference games in the Big Ten…" To which my response was pointing out exactly how many national championships the Big Ten won over the last quarter century.

Interestingly, he got his undergrad degree from Syracuse and one of his postgrad degrees at Purdue. So basically, with the exception of the below year, he's been taking a hoops beat down for me for years.
:D

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And Nova has two more along with one for Finger Lakes State. We’ll leave out Slick Rick’s vacated title. That’s 8 to 1 between BE and B1G which is pretty staggering. That one MSU championship is in fact their only championship since Michigan got on and Indiana got a pair in the 80s.

I wonder how the conferences compare with total Sweet Sixteens, Elite Eights, Final Fours, and NC appearances.
We had one in the AAC, and they captured an ACC NC with Maryland. But still there's a pretty major gap. Big Ten has consistently under-performed.

Reaction Score
I always love the argument how its so much easier to win in BB but consistently the BB national titles very concentrated.

Reaction Score
Probably not, his whole shtick is that our record is artificially inflated because "we only play cupcakes." I pointed it out to him that Connecticut and Purdue have exactly the same number of quad I wins, 8, and he went on to say "well, we have to play all our conference games in the Big Ten…" To which my response was pointing out exactly how many national championships the Big Ten won over the last quarter century.

Interestingly, he got his undergrad degree from Syracuse and one of his postgrad degrees at Purdue. So basically, with the exception of the below year, he's been taking a hoops beat down for me for years.
:D
That Purdue fan is correct (the part I bolded). UConn and Dan Hurley avoided scheduling the powerhouse #16 seeded Fairleigh Dickinson.

CL82

Reaction Score
And you’re friends with the guy?

Not at first ... but yeah, now, going on 40 years.

Its Complicated GIF by Blue Ice Pictures

Reaction Score
Huh?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Not favorably at all for the Big East.

cc: @tzznandrew

Reaction Score
But they're the better conference this year and usually?
probably... but their conference hasnt been blown up and likely wont. They werent the better conference prior to our squad being relegated to the AAC... but i suppose thats off topic a bit.

Reaction Score

It's not particularly impressive once the split happens. There's three titles (Nova 2x and UConn... or 4 if you give the BE UConn 2014), but it compares quite poorly to the ACC, B12, B1G, and SEC. I started tabulating just out of curiosity, but to get a good number would take too long when I have a newborn about to cry. Suffice it to say that in the first 3 years (2014-2016) the BE had two total S16 appearances and Villanova's run was the only E8, FF, NC run. In that same time the ACC, B1G, and SEC had 3x the Final Fours, and really had a ton more once you move down into the S16.

Some of that is size of the conference. Some of that is that the BE has more or less underperformed outside of UConn/Villanova. Last year was the exception, not the rule.

Reaction Score
It's not particularly impressive once the split happens. There's three titles (Nova 2x and UConn... or 4 if you give the BE UConn 2014), but it compares quite poorly to the ACC, B12, B1G, and SEC. I started tabulating just out of curiosity, but to get a good number would take too long when I have a newborn about to cry. Suffice it to say that in the first 3 years (2014-2016) the BE had two total S16 appearances and Villanova's run was the only E8, FF, NC run. In that same time the ACC, B1G, and SEC had 3x the Final Fours, and really had a ton more once you move down into the S16.

Some of that is size of the conference. Some of that is that the BE has more or less underperformed outside of UConn/Villanova. Last year was the exception, not the rule.
Yeah I had a feeling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom