4K TV recommendation | Page 4 | The Boneyard
  • If you are seeing a McAfee pop up about malware, switch to the AO style.

To do so, go to the bottom left of any screen, click the style currently selected (boneyard or dark), then click AO. If you still have the problem after switching, send me a screen capture.

If you are not a registered user, you may have to switch style each time you visit until the issue is resolved, or register a free account. Edit: I'm told this Chrome Extention in helps to prevent pop ups:

Click here for Chrome Plug Extension

4K TV recommendation

BGesus4

The other white meat
Reaction Score
Anyone have recommendations for 55 to 65 inch 4K TVs? Need a living room upgrade.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have to amend my comments on TV app systems. TCL has switched from Roku to Google. Sony has switched from android to Google. Both of those should be good, however, Netflix isn’t native.

I am considering replacing my 65 with a 75. We watch a lot of movies. The 65 would go to the family room, the 50 in the family room would go to the bedroom and the 46 in the bedroom would either replace the ancient TV in my workout area or go with my daughter to college.

Rtings seems to like the Sony XR75X90J, the Samsung QN75Q and gives a good score to the TCL 6 Series/R646. Both the Sony and TCL have big discounts right now at Best Buy. Downside for TCL to me is it’s 4 inches thick. Both the Sony and TCL are VA panels, Samsung is IPS. Samsung has better viewing angles but less contrast.

CL82

Unfinished Business
Reaction Score
Do u like the tv using the streaming stick?
Maybe to three months ago I changed over to using Chromecast for YouTube TV because YouTube TV has resolution issues going through my, admittedly old, LG. For an old guy like me it’s more natural to reach for the remote, but you get used to it. For what it’s worth scrolling through available programs on your phone is much faster than scrolling down the guide on the television.

Reaction Score
Have to amend my comments on TV app systems. TCL has switched from Roku to Google. Sony has switched from android to Google. Both of those should be good, however, Netflix isn’t native.

I am considering replacing my 65 with a 75. We watch a lot of movies. The 65 would go to the family room, the 50 in the family room would go to the bedroom and the 46 in the bedroom would either replace the ancient TV in my workout area or go with my daughter to college.

Rtings seems to like the Sony XR75X90J, the Samsung QN75Q and gives a good score to the TCL 6 Series/R646. Both the Sony and TCL have big discounts right now at Best Buy. Downside for TCL to me is it’s 4 inches thick. Both the Sony and TCL are VA panels, Samsung is IPS. Samsung has better viewing angles but less contrast.
Thx. I’m between the Sony and Samsung too. Rtings seems to have the Samsung a bit higher. Only issue holding me back from Samsung is number of native apps.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thx. I’m between the Sony and Samsung too. Rtings seems to have the Samsung a bit higher. Only issue holding me back from Samsung is number of native apps.

Samsung costs $400 more right now. The one I’m tempted by is the new Hisense. First Dual Cell, giving it blacks nearly as good as OLED. Hisense ULED Dual-Cell Premium 75U9DG

But check Samsung vs Sony to see if they have an IPS panel or VA panel. If you need wide angle viewing, go IPS. AV will have better contrast.

Reaction Score
Samsung costs $400 more right now. The one I’m tempted by is the new Hisense. First Dual Cell, giving it blacks nearly as good as OLED. Hisense ULED Dual-Cell Premium 75U9DG

But check Samsung vs Sony to see if they have an IPS panel or VA panel. If you need wide angle viewing, go IPS. AV will have better contrast.
Thx. We r getting a smaller tv than u and it prob is better with the wider viewing angle. Do u know what was std 5 years ago IPS or VA?

Reaction Score
Go online and look at any review between the Sony 80J or the 90J and any Samsung. Then get back to me about Samsung's higher ratings.

Reaction Score
Thx. We r getting a smaller tv than u and it prob is better with the wider viewing angle. Do u know what was std 5 years ago IPS or VA?
Not a lot of VA screens at the top of the TV heap these days.

Reaction Score
Go online and look at any review between the Sony 80J or the 90J and any Samsung. Then get back to me about Samsung's higher ratings.
Not looking for a fight….just looking for insight. Rtings.com had the Samsung as a top 5. I’m looking fir advice asince I don’t follow this closely. They have Samsung rated higher than Sony. Lmk The 5 Best TVs - Black Friday 2021: Reviews

Reaction Score
Thx. Not looking for an Oled. Room is too bright
Understood. Just remember when you get your Samsung (or any TV for that matter) you have to do two things. One is change the factory settings to "Movie" which will gets your Samsung closest to ISF standards. Go to Samsung QN90A QLED Calibration Settings for the best settings. Second, connect your TV to your router (wired or wireless) and update your TV. Occasionally some apps or even the TV itself won't work properly without the latest updates...and don't forget to mail in your warranty. I always buy at least the 3 year plan from the dealer. With BestBuy I bought the 5 year plan for in home repair/replacement. Happy viewing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

IPS is the old standard. It loses some things in terms of movie viewing and contrast, but is good for sports or a general purpose family room TV.

As I said earlier. Everyone focuses on brands. They don’t matter much. Figure out what your use case is. Bright room? Dark? Straight ahead or wide angle? Movies, TV, Gaming? The best TV will vary. For all the love OLED gets they suck in bright rooms. Lower priced TVs will perform better.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Actually the Samsung is rated as best LED TV. If you're not looking for an OLED Samsung is the obvious choice.

That’s not really true. As for settings, out of the box Sony crushes Samsung which will need calibration. The Sony’s have better software across the board, for things like upscaling, even if the specs are less impressive on paper. And quality control is much better.

If you get an LED that isn’t a Sony, calibrate it outside the standard settings.

At the moment, the top LED Tv is that Hisense I mentioned.

Reaction Score
That’s not really true. As for settings, out of the box Sony crushes Samsung which will need calibration. The Sony’s have better software across the board, for things like upscaling, even if the specs are less impressive on paper. And quality control is much better.

If you get an LED that isn’t a Sony, calibrate it outside the standard settings.

At the moment, the top LED Tv is that Hisense I mentioned.
Like I'm going to argue with another Sony lover.

Reaction Score
Thx for the help guys....ended up with the Samsung 55....old Tv is pushing 6 years...will be interesting to see the new picture quality...but not in time for Atlantis

I had a bad experience with TCL last year so sticking with known brands....and RTings.com

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just saw Walmart will have a 55"-75" 4K UHD's from Sony, Samsung, TCL and a few other brands for $450-$850. Pick a price point and there's multiple choices.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingLurk

usa
Top Bottom