OT: - 40 years ago today | The Boneyard

OT: 40 years ago today

Reaction Score
Red Sox winning in 04 and UConn in ‘99 were great but I don’t think they touched the Miracle on Ice. For you youngsters you might not believe this but probably the most famous game wasn’t even showed live. It started at 5 pm. I was able to not spoiler the game. The last 10 minutes were so nerve wracking. And to think that if they lost 2 days later it would have meant nothing.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
This geezer remembers the one from 20 years before when a ragtag bunch beat the Russians and also won the gold. This one may have been even more miraculous than The Miracle. I remember a bunch of us packed into the fraternity TV room (at RPI which was a HUGE hockey school at the time) watching on our 20" B&W TV.

The US goalie, named Jack McCarten if I remember correctly, "stood on his head" the whole game, making one miraculous save after another. He later played a bit with he Rangers, but those kind of flopping goalies are fun to watch, but are not particularly favored in the NHL.

I think there were 3 guys named Christian on the team, perhaps 2 brothers and a cousin. I think the son of one of them played 20 years later in The Miracle game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still wonder if Al Michels call was real time or live during the replay. I remember thinking Jim McKay was awesome calling Franz Klammer's epic race, years later I found out it wasn't real time. A cheat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom