40 Times | The Boneyard

40 Times

C

Chief00

An anecdotal story to the talent level Diaco and Coach P left behind. When Randy was having the running backs timed in the Spring, the times were so slow Randy thought there was something wrong with the watches and ordered new ones.

Reaction Score
An antidotal story to the talent level Diaco and Coach P left behind. When Randy was having the running backs timed in the Spring, the times were so slow Randy thought there was something wrong with the watches and ordered new ones.
Ok is this an April Fools joke? :confused:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Horrible if true. Mensah has a track background, here's to hoping. I guess that coincides with a poster noting one of the redshirt RB's looked very slow.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Horrible if true. Mensah has a track background, here's to hoping. I gets that coincidences with a poster noting one of the redshirt RB's looked very slow.
As group that was the reading. Mensah wasn't at UConn in the Spring when this occurred.

Reaction Score
An anecdotal story to the talent level Diaco and Coach P left behind. When Randy was having the running backs timed in the Spring, the times were so slow Randy thought there was something wrong with the watches and ordered new ones.

Why post something like this? You really are nothing more than an attention who-were.

C

Chief00

Why post something like this? You really are nothing more than an attention who-were.

Fair question, I think it's a legitimate evaluation of where we were in the Spring. I thought it was a little humorous. Please note, all we need is a couple fast guys and maybe Mensah will be part of the new formula. Chief has a long reputation of giving it to people straight ahead of time Drummond committing, Diaco firing, Travis firing, Miller firing, Calhoun coaching again etc. Some fans appreciate that, I think. Others may not? I think if Randy can turn this around, which I believe he can, we can fully appreciate what he accomplished if I am honest.
I do agree there are things one shouldn't post and there are those who know what I have elected not to post.

Reaction Score
I wish. The moral to the story - we need to be patient. And as before Randy is recruiting some guys with track backgrounds.
Keyion Dixon and Tyler Coyle both were huge track stars in High School in Connecticut. Coyle went to Windsor High and Dixon went to Glastonbury High. Coyle ran the 2nd leg of the 4x200 that won National Championship in that track event, and Dixon ran the 100, 200, and was New England Champion in the 300m hurdles. Also one of them, can't remember which, was the Class L high jump Champion. They are not lean skinny guys, both are big boys.

tyler coyle uconn - Google Search:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Madon.jpg

C

Chief00

Keyion Dixon and Tyler Coyle both

Keyion Dixon and Tyler Coyle both were huge track stars in High School in Connecticut. Coyle went to Windsor High and Dixon went to Glastonbury High. Coyle ran the 2nd leg of the 4x200 that won National Championship in that track event, and Dixon ran the 100, 200, and was New England Champion in the 300m hurdles. Also one of them, can't remember which, was the Class L high jump Champion. They are not lean skinny guys, both are big boys.

Great question. Dixon is a wide receiver and Coyle is a DB. Neither is a running back. Granted, Randy could change their positions at any time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Great question. Dixon is a wide receiver and Coyle is a DB. Neither is a running back. Granted, Randy could change their positions at any time.
Dixon can play anywhere, he's just a tremendous talent. He was a one man wrecking crew at Glastonbury, and at 6'3" 195, is a damn good quarterback and runner when no one was open. I'm sure Edsall and Lashlee already know that.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Fair question, I think it's a legitimate evaluation of where we were in the Spring. I thought it was a little humorous. Please note, all we need is a couple fast guys and maybe Mensah will be part of the new formula. Chief has a long reputation of giving it to people straight ahead of time Drummond committing, Diaco firing, Travis firing, Miller firing, Calhoun coaching again etc. Some fans appreciate that, I think. Others may not? I think if Randy can turn this around, which I believe he can, we can fully appreciate what he accomplished if I am honest.
I do agree there are things one shouldn't post and there are those who know what I have elected not to post.

Thanks for all the insight
Caution: patting ones self on the back too often causes muscle issues and arthritis!!!

Reaction Score
Not worried at all about that.

A list of things I value well before top end 40 times for RBs:

Quick and creative footwork (suddenness, agility, bounce, acceleration, change of direction, elusiveness)
Knowing when to muscle up and when to get down
Holding on to the football
Pass pro
Good hands out of the backfield
Heart and will

If our guys break one and get caught 40 years down field because of their top end speed, the last thing on my mind is damn our team needs RBs with better top end 40 speed so they could have gone to the house.

Now if we were talking players on the defensive side of the ball that would be a different story. As they have to cover and if your exposed on defense you lose your team games.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What? I think it is interesting and pretty telling.

And completely unverifiable -- not to mention coming from the least reliable of sources.

Reaction Score
If our guys break one and get caught 40 years down field because of their top end speed, the last thing on my mind is damn our team needs RBs with better top end 40 speed so they could have gone to the house.

Now if we were talking players on the defensive side of the ball that would be a different story. As they have to cover and if your exposed on defense you lose your team games.

That's basically Newsome. He doesn't have great top end speed but he gets up to speed very quickly.

C

Chief00

Thanks for all the insight
Caution: patting ones self on the back too often causes muscle issues and arthritis!!!

I wasn't doing that - I was criticized for posting this and I tried to give other examples - where I was criticized for posting things that then became fact - I was hoping to show that sometimes it's best to get things out in the sunlight but admittedly not always and I have held numerous things back for a variety of reasons.

C

Chief00

Not worried at all about that.

A list of things I value well before top end 40 times for RBs:

Quick and creative footwork (suddenness, agility, bounce, acceleration, change of direction, elusiveness)
Knowing when to muscle up and when to get down
Holding on to the football
Pass pro
Good hands out of the backfield
Heart and will

I agree vision and exceleration is important as is quickness and strength. Having great speed is a pretty good asset too.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

But what was their bone density, calcium and vitamin D levels? You can't measure a team by speed or even wins and losses...

Reaction Score
Funny how when our guys train for the combines they suddenly become faster and more athletic. Tell you anything about the coaching and slow reactive pace of the offense and defense? Practice slow, play slow, become slow. Speed has to be maintained and improved over time with consistent training. I'm guessing we fell way short in that department.

C

Chief00

Dixon can play anywhere, he's just a tremendous talent. He was a one man wrecking crew at Glastonbury, and at 6'3" 195, is a damn good quarterback and runner when no one was open. I'm sure Edsall and Lashlee already know that.
You may be right, but he is currently listed on the rooster at wide receiver. That's the one position where Randy said he discovered more talent than he originally thought. Of course, Diaco only had confidence in Thomas and his QB did not have the ability to make progressions or make certain throws.

C

Chief00

But what was their bone density, calcium and vitamin D levels? You can't measure a team by speed or even wins and losses...
I like your humor! Remember Diaco reading the changes in body fat percentages.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom