40 Minutes of Hell! | The Boneyard

40 Minutes of Hell!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Many Husky fans point to an off night on offense to explain UConn’s OT loss to the Bulldogs in the national semifinal. IMO, UConn lost the game on defense. I know that may be difficult to fathom considering that UConn held MS St to 60 points in regulation and 37% shooting for the game.

But the Bulldogs play in the SEC. They are used to “grind it out,” ugly games. UConn never got MS St out of their comfort zone. UConn’s lack of size meant that the Huskies had to throw a collapsing defense on the Bulldog post players, leaving shooters open. The Huskies lack of depth meant that they could not pressure MS St to speed up the game and force more turnovers, due to concerns about foul trouble.

In just about all of UConn’s national championships, the key to victory was relentless defensive pressure that overwhelmed opposing teams. In 2000, UConn held TN to 52 points, 28 under their season average. In 04 the Huskies scored only 30 points in the 1st half, but held the Lady Vols to 24. In 09 they held high scoring Louisville to 54 points for the game. In 2010, UConn scored an abysmal 53 points, but held Stanford to only 47. In 2014 UConn had only 30 points at the half, but held ND to 20 points at the half and 58 for the game. In 2015 UConn held ND to 23 at the half and 53 for the game. In 2016 UConn held high scoring Syracuse to only 23 points, throwing a full court press at the Orange in the 1st half, when for all practical purposes the game was over.

The size and depth problems that limited the Huskies ability to play suffocating defense last season will no longer be issues in 2017-18. Geno has a legitimate rim protector in Z and a strong and capable BIG in Batouly to bang with other team’s frontcourt size. Gabby and KIa are “lock down” defenders who will be matched up with opposing teams’ top scoring guards or wings. Pheesa and Lou will be stronger and more physical defenders. Danger will use her quickness to become a “Mo-like” pain in the ass for opposing teams. As for Molly, Kyla and the Fantastic 4 (frosh), if they want to get in on the fun, all they have to do is get into a defensive stance and play tough, in-your-face defense.

Geno has a wealth of options. UConn’s depth will allow the Huskies to press and trap relentlessly without fear of foul trouble. UConn will speed teams up forcing more turnovers and higher scoring games. Geno never wants to be in another game like MS St, where the opposing team can walk the ball up the court and take all the time in the world to run their offense and get a good shot. As a result, it will be 40 MINUTES OF HELL for opposing teams that face the Huskies this year, or at least until opponents yell “no mas” and Geno calls off the hounds.

Reaction Score
Many Husky fans point to an off night on offense to explain UConn’s OT loss to the Bulldogs in the national semifinal. IMO, UConn lost the game on defense. I know that may be difficult to fathom considering that UConn held MS St to 60 points in regulation and 37% shooting for the game.

But the Bulldogs play in the SEC. They are used to “grind it out,” ugly games. UConn never got MS St out of their comfort zone. UConn’s lack of size meant that the Huskies had to throw a collapsing defense on the Bulldog post players, leaving shooters open. The Huskies lack of depth meant that they could not pressure MS St to speed up the game and force more turnovers, due to concerns about foul trouble.

In just about all of UConn’s national championships, the key to victory was relentless defensive pressure that overwhelmed opposing teams. In 2000, UConn held TN to 52 points, 28 under their season average. In 04 the Huskies scored only 30 points in the 1st half, but held the Lady Vols to 24. In 09 they held high scoring Louisville to 54 points for the game. In 2010, UConn scored an abysmal 53 points, but held Stanford to only 47. In 2014 UConn had only 30 points at the half, but held ND to 20 points at the half and 58 for the game. In 2015 UConn held ND to 23 at the half and 53 for the game. In 2016 UConn held high scoring Syracuse to only 23 points, throwing a full court press at the Orange in the 1st half, when for all practical purposes the game was over.

The size and depth problems that limited the Huskies ability to play suffocating defense last season will no longer be issues in 2017-18. Geno has a legitimate rim protector in Z and a strong and capable BIG in Batouly to bang with other team’s frontcourt size. Gabby and KIa are “lock down” defenders who will be matched up with opposing teams’ top scoring guards or wings. Pheesa and Lou will be stronger and more physical defenders. Danger will use her quickness to become a “Mo-like” pain in the ass for opposing teams. As for Molly, Kyla and the Fantastic 4 (frosh), if they want to get in on the fun, all they have to do is get into a defensive stance and play tough, in-your-face defense.

Geno has a wealth of options. UConn’s depth will allow the Huskies to press and trap relentlessly without fear of foul trouble. UConn will speed teams up forcing more turnovers and higher scoring games. Geno never wants to be in another game like MS St, where the opposing team can walk the ball up the court and take all the time in the world to run their offense and get a good shot. As a result, it will be 40 MINUTES OF HELL for opposing teams that face the Huskies this year, or at least until opponents yell “no mas” and Geno calls off the hounds.

I'm a U'ARK fan---and watched a few of their 40 minutes of hell and in most cases it was just that.
When Geno steps on some tails and says--shut-em -down--all you see, as ARK did, is waving hands moving feet and determination on faces---it's almost scary. Geno does not have to give it a name--opponents know it and the results from it. I have an exceptionally strong feeling Geno's 40 minutes will make HELL look like a pleasant place this year. He has the experience , the buy into his methods, and a lot of personnel (including transfers) carried over from past years. Salivating..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some interesting statistics illustrating the problem with UConn's defense this past season for all of the stat geeks out there. During the 2016-17 season, the Huskies gave up an average of 54.9 ppg, which put them at a respectable 9th best in the nation. That total was UConn's highest since 2007 when they gave up 55.2 ppg:
  • 2017 - 54.9
  • 2016 - 48.3
  • 2015 - 48.6
  • 2014 - 47.8
  • 2013 - 49.8
  • 2012 - 47.0
  • 2011 - 50.1
  • 2010 - 46.2
  • 2009 - 53.4
  • 2008 - 52.3
  • 2007 - 55.2

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There were a few reasons they lost that game, not the least of which is they were out-hustled for the first time in recent memory. They were -10 in second chance points and missed 8 free throws. They let MSU control the pace and only got off 46 field goal attempts in 45 minutes.

Sure they weren't deep, but it would've been nice to stop looking at William standing with the ball 10 feet from the halfcourt line.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There were a few reasons they lost that game, not the least of which is they were out-hustled for the first time in recent memory. They were -10 in second chance points and missed 8 free throws. They let MSU control the pace and only got off 46 field goal attempts in 45 minutes.

Sure they weren't deep, but it would've been nice to stop looking at William standing with the ball 10 feet from the halfcourt line.
I generally agree with your comments, but would attribute the loss to poor execution coupled with defensive shortcomings rather than a lack of hustle.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought we looked nervous and had "butterfingers." We missed FTs and layups. There are lots of reasons why we lost. Missing shots that we normally make was one of them.
Go back and take a look at the 2010 championship game. UConn couldn't throw the ball in the ocean and they had a ton a turnovers, but they clamped down on Stanford on defense and beat them 53-47.

My point is that bad shooting games happen and sometimes you turn the ball over, but if you always play great defense that will usually carry you to victory. Geno hid his team's defensive shortcomings all season using crazy defensive schemes while also getting extraordinary effort and execution up until the MS St game when Vic Schaefer and his Bulldogs exposed the Huskies defensive weaknesses relative to size and depth.

The good news is that those weaknesses will no longer be present this coming season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Another great post OD. Hummm................40 minutes of hell. I seem to recall seeing that term mentioned recently on another thread.

In your comments you said: "But the Bulldogs play in the SEC. They are used to “grind it out,” ugly games. UConn never got MS St out of their comfort zone. UConn’s lack of size meant that the Huskies had to throw a collapsing defense on the Bulldog post players, leaving shooters open. The Huskies lack of depth meant that they could not pressure MS St to speed up the game and force more turnovers, due to concerns about foul trouble". You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly why UConn lost. Please keep these posts coming.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Another great post OD. Hummm......40 minutes of hell. I seem to recall seeing that term mentioned recently on another thread.
As BroadwayVA intimated, I borrowed the line from former Arkansas Coach Nolan Richardson, who's Razorbacks won the NCAA championship in 1994 employing a tenacious pressing and trapping defense for 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
You can analyze the game anyway you want but it all came down to collier and gabby missing easy free throws. They each had 2 free thows and couldn't hit one of the 4. Its the reason i don't think they will make a run at npoy. Great players don't miss free throws when the game is on the line.

Reaction Score
Some interesting statistics illustrating the problem with UConn's defense this past season for all of the stat geeks out there. During the 2016-17 season, the Huskies gave up an average of 54.9 ppg, which put them at a respectable 9th best in the nation. That total was UConn's highest since 2007 when they gave up 55.2 ppg:
  • 2017 - 54.9
  • 2016 - 48.3
  • 2015 - 48.6
  • 2014 - 47.8
  • 2013 - 49.8
  • 2012 - 47.0
  • 2011 - 50.1
  • 2010 - 46.2
  • 2009 - 53.4
  • 2008 - 52.3
  • 2007 - 55.2
Thanks--Oldude--this sure is telling a large part of the final results---
Still---Even with the drop off in defensive "ability" (??_) this team only lost one (important) game
Peter was working overtime with this team---they exceeded his principle. What a great bunch of kids--So good I may watch them again!

Reaction Score
You can analyze the game anyway you want but it all came down to collier and gabby missing easy free throws. They each had 2 free thows and couldn't hit one of the 4. Its the reason i don't think they will make a run at npoy. Great players don't miss free throws when the game is on the line.

Your ANALYSIS is almost correct--they did miss free throws--but Miss St did the damage way before that--they got into the heads of OUR Team. by not allowing them to do those thing that made them successful--- Geno is prone to say--a single issue never tells the full story (or words to the same effect)

They won't have a shot at NPOY --why? They are on the wrong team--it has so much firepower --in nearly every position---they won't score the points of Plum (gone) or Mitchell or nearly ever other team that relies on one of 2 scorers.

Reaction Score
Go back and take a look at the 2010 championship game. UConn couldn't throw the ball in the ocean and they had a ton a turnovers, but they clamped down on Stanford on defense and beat them 53-47.

My point is that bad shooting games happen and sometimes you turn the ball over, but if you always play great defense that will usually carry you to victory. Geno hid his team's defensive shortcomings all season using crazy defensive schemes while also getting extraordinary effort and execution up until the MS St game when Vic Schaefer and his Bulldogs exposed the Huskies defensive weaknesses relative to size and depth.

The good news is that those weaknesses will no longer be present this coming season.

Finally--someone who accurately states the case. Thank you!!

If you go back to the days when Uconn had minor dominance (meaning they lost some)
Geno, like Lou Holtz, amazed me---behind at half time--into the locker room--and then hit the floor with DEFENSE--and turned around (many) of those games. It got that I believed (rare for me) that Geno would win even up to the last seconds.
Megan Pattyson and other announcers call some defensive sets---Junk Defense--Bull pucky--
Defense of any kid that works is good defense--and Geno has used them all.
You are correct --Ms St had the coach and right players to exploit .

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oh really?

magic-johnson-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-shoots-a-free-throw-during-an-picture-id1137429

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I mentioned the 2010 National championship game in 2 earlier posts. How about looking at some stats from that game:

UConn was 9-22 from the foul line with Maya Moore 2-5, Tina Charles 1-5 and Tiffany Hayes 2-6.

UConn was also 6-20 from 3 and 19-58 overall.

By your criteria, I guess Maya Moore & Tina Charles are not great players.

Oh by the way, to state once again, UConn won that game vs Stanford 53-47 by playing ferocious, relentless defense.

Reaction Score
I thought we looked nervous and had "butterfingers." We missed FTs and layups. There are lots of reasons why we lost. Missing shots that we normally make was one of them.
No argument here---but did you ever think that their butterfingers and inability to execute was brought on by a severe case of Ms st -itis? MS game plan got into their heads--(maybe yes , maybe no) l

Reaction Score
Oh really?

magic-johnson-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-shoots-a-free-throw-during-an-picture-id1137429
I never said he was a great player! He's no MJ or Lebron. Maya or Tina were not shooting free throws at the end of the game with the outcome on the line. I'd take Maya over gabby or collier any day of the week with the game on the line. You noticed kls made her foul shots when they were needed.

Reaction Score
I still think MSS adapted better to the "tight" rims...

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
This is starting to sound like self pity. "Stuff" happens. Secretariat lost and the best team doesn't always win. Time to look ahead, not back. Remember the pain of defeat and what caused it but don't allow it to define you.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maya or Tina were not shooting free throws at the end of the game with the outcome on the line.
Au contraire mon ami. In the 2010 championship game, with Stanford making a late run and fouling every time UConn got the ball, during the last 2 minutes of the game Maya was 2-5 from the line and Tina was 0-2.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I never said he was a great player! He's no MJ or Lebron. Maya or Tina were not shooting free throws at the end of the game with the outcome on the line. I'd take Maya over gabby or collier any day of the week with the game on the line. You noticed kls made her foul shots when they were needed.
Soooo, you don't think Magic Johnson was a great player???

Reaction Score
If not great, then pure Majic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom