4 reasons for the 40 pt loss | The Boneyard

4 reasons for the 40 pt loss

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Play call in the 1st quarter on third and short inside the 5. BS in the shotgun for a delayed draw that gets blown up immediately for a loss. Then we go for it on 4th and obviously fail. Lashlee got too cute and cost us. Could have just pushed the pile twice to get the necessary yards.

Going from not returning kicks to RETURNING ALL THE KICKS. We recovered the ball but I feel like it was a momentum shift,after the d actually stopped them, Buss gets absolutely lit up trying to catch a punt. Could it have been catch interference? I mean maybe? Kid needs to learn to fair catch. Oh and not fumble kickoff returns.

Their QB is freakishly accurate. I feel like this happens every week but he was definitely the best we’ve seen. At least 3 of their TDs were perfect throws to actually covered receivers where only the Memphis player could get it. Love to have a QB with touch like that.

Tackling technique continues to be painful. Can’t wrap anyone up. Broken record. We actually had penetration on their QB a few times but could not bring him down. The longer we chased him the more open the receivers got.

Reaction Score
As bad as our D is, gotta also remember that Memphis is a high scoring team (despite last week, but UCF could turn out to be very good) - they have been the last 3+ seasons. Had Paxton Lynch at QB and now Riley Ferguson. They've really changed the culture there and rack up the points most games.

Reaction Score
I wasn't crazy about the play calls before the half. 21-21 defense gets a stop and then we throw a long interception. They come down and score, UConn fumbles and we give up another TD.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
21-21 defense gets a stop and then we throw a long interception. They come down and score, UConn fumbles and we give up another TD.

Nope, UConn stopped them on downs after the pick.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Play call in the 1st quarter on third and short inside the 5. BS in the shotgun for a delayed draw that gets blown up immediately for a loss. Then we go for it on 4th and obviously fail. Lashlee got too cute and cost us. Could have just pushed the pile twice to get the necessary yards.

Going from not returning kicks to RETURNING ALL THE KICKS. We recovered the ball but I feel like it was a momentum shift,after the d actually stopped them, Buss gets absolutely lit up trying to catch a punt. Could it have been catch interference? I mean maybe? Kid needs to learn to fair catch. Oh and not fumble kickoff returns.

Their QB is freakishly accurate. I feel like this happens every week but he was definitely the best we’ve seen. At least 3 of their TDs were perfect throws to actually covered receivers where only the Memphis player could get it. Love to have a QB with touch like that.

Tackling technique continues to be painful. Can’t wrap anyone up. Broken record. We actually had penetration on their QB a few times but could not bring him down. The longer we chased him the more open the receivers got.

They got the touchdown on the second drive though - and ended up with the field position they had because they didn't convert 4th down. That failed drive ended up having no bearing on the outcome - it's not like you can assume they would score twice - they got the touchdown on the second drive because of the field position and bad punt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They got beat by 40 because once the offense couldn't match scores the defense rolled over because they knew they couldn't stop them.

The 5 fumbles didn't help - they completely melted down at the end of the second quarter.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
QB's are freakishly accurate because UConn doesn't apply pressure to QB's. They get mice pockets, plenty of time and lanes to zip the ball.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We go for it on 4th too often. I guess it makes sense against Memphis, but at some point isn't it better to just kick the FG and get 3 on the board? We went for it on 4th and like 17 when we could have kicked a 45 yarder. Granted, Tarbutt would probably miss it, but give the kid a shot

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We go for it on 4th too often. I guess it makes sense against Memphis, but at some point isn't it better to just kick the FG and get 3 on the board? We went for it on 4th and like 17 when we could have kicked a 45 yarder. Granted, Tarbutt would probably miss it, but give the kid a shot
My guff was more with the horribly designed 3rd down play

Reaction Score

Yeah, but until we show we can at least fix some of these defensive issues to the point where it's even remotely competent, I can understand all the 4th down attempts.

Last 4 games we've given up 198 points. Unreal.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Four Reasons?

1. The players are slow
2. The players are weak.
3. There is a lack of depth/competition
4. Schemes suck.

Reaction Score

agree on the BS comment. think they went with him on 3 consecutive plays. thought that is why we have RB's.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Totally disagree. They need touchdowns. Field goals are useless with this defense.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't mind them going for it but don't they have any decent short-yardage plays?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom